PDA

View Full Version : Typical wholesale price ?

shpangle
21-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Hi all,
Sorry to sound a bit thick and naive but...when considering wholesale prices for your crafts, what discount should be offered for wholesale purchases, or does that depend upon quantities etc. What do people generally offer for wholesale prices ?

Thanks
Mick

Stampinupgirl
21-08-2009, 05:23 PM
as a buyer of crafting (not stampin up) wholesale product, i have found that wholesale prices tend to be 50% of retail, plus VAT (if you charge it)

However if it is your resin goodies, i would consider your time and product used, make sure you dont end up out of pocket!

Cuckoos Nest
21-08-2009, 10:12 PM
It depends what you mean by wholesale. If we sell our stuff in a shop on Sale or Return, we would generally expect to pay 20% - 25% commission.

If they give us a sizeable order which they pay for up front, we would offer them 40% - 50%, depending on the size of the order.

It's important when pricing your products to remember that it costs to sell, whether at a craft fair/market stall (table hire, travellings exps, your time etc.) or through a shop where they have overheads, staff wages, insurance, their time, etc. etc.

We used to have a shop where we sold our own pottery and the work of other local artists and craftspeople. We worked on the percentages mentioned above, but were often gobsmacked at how many people expected us to display, take care of, insure, sell and wrap their products for as little as 10% commission. (And if the customer paid by credit card, we had to pay a 4% fee.) When we stated our terms they said things like 'It's taken me five hours to make that so why should you take 25%?' (the inference being that we were greedy).

It's a sad fact that many very very talented craftspeople don't understand the principles of marketing.

In the end, very sadly, we had to give up the shop because of crippling overheads.

It's crucial to take into account the selling costs when pricing your products.

jencel
21-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I think, however you sell, it's important for you to be happy with the price you're getting, especially if wholesaleing means you are lowering the price you're selling at.

Another thing to think about is your own retail price, whether you sell at parties, fairs or online. If you want to make a success of selling to shops, it wouldn't be good business, for you or for the shop, to be undercutting the ones you supply.

If you can get the price right, I think you've got a good product for wholesaling.