PDA

View Full Version : china/porcelain clay jewellery..

janrocks
02-08-2009, 08:11 AM
I'd like to start working with porcelain/china and I wondered if it would be possible to sand it when it had air-dryed, before kiln firing?
Also, can it be mixed with anything to make it less fragile as I am making small, thin jewellery items with it.
Thanks, Jan

lockettpots
02-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Jan

You can, with care, sand the unfired porcelain but I would advise using a small, damp (not wet) sponge instead. For a really good finish I would do a biscuit firing to about 1000 degrees Celsius. Then use very fine wet-and-dry paper with water to obtain an almost polished surface before a final firing.

Fired porcelain is in fact surprisingly strong and any additions tend to weaken it rather than strengthen it. Dry unfired porcelain is very delicate and needs careful handling.

Do you intend glazing and/or colouring the surface of your jewellery?

What final temperature do you intend firing to?

Will you be using a gas or an electric kiln?

John

janrocks
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi John,

thanks for your really informative reply. I've never worked with clay before and I was going to get a friend to do the firing in her kiln so I don't know wether it's gas or electric or about firing temps. What would you suggest?

Cheers, Jan

gotorightway123
13-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Fired porcelain is in fact surprisingly strong and any additions tend to weaken it rather than strengthen it. Dry unfired porcelain is very delicate and needs careful handling.

Do you intend glazing and/or colouring the surface of your jewellery?