PDA

View Full Version : me again

michelle87
11-07-2009, 06:12 PM
sorry ladies jus after bit info about insurance, i have my certification paperwork etc coming hopefully this week so i will be atemptinbg to make products them perhaps that weekend or following week. i want to sell eventually as a new product in my soap business which i get off wholesalers but what insurance do i need for this?

greannancrafts
11-07-2009, 06:15 PM
You will need public and product liability insurance

Try http://www.nmtf.co.uk/index.php?id_cpg=1

or google Ian wallace insurance

Jane

michelle87
11-07-2009, 06:17 PM
i have that hun for my craft fairs was just wondering did i need any other insurance for the products im making

greannancrafts
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
i have that hun for my craft fairs was just wondering did i need any other insurance for the products im making

that's ok sweetiepie, why didn't you say so in the first place?

As well as public liability insurance, you will also need product insurance.

See the above links, a lot will depend on where/how you sell your products:)

Jane

michelle87
11-07-2009, 06:37 PM
lol sorry sometimes shave a round about way of gettin out what i mean lol

Bath-Bomb.Com
11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Not trying to mean, Pet, but how have you got certification for products you will be ATTEMPTING to make in a week or so?

:confused:

greannancrafts
11-07-2009, 06:50 PM
lol sorry sometimes shave a round about way of gettin out what i mean lol

mmmmmmm;)

Jane

michelle87
11-07-2009, 07:32 PM
i got my cert from a chemist a lady on here knows

michelle87
11-07-2009, 08:30 PM
that's ok sweetiepie, why didn't you say so in the first place?

As well as public liability insurance, you will also need product insurance.

See the above links, a lot will depend on where/how you sell your products:)

Jane

ok think i am blind i cant find info on product insurance on that site

Bath-Bomb.Com
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I think Greannancrafts was suggestingthat, if you are planning to sell at Markets you could join the Traders association ...

Try this page for info http://www.nmtf.co.uk/index.php?id_cpg=6

michelle87
11-07-2009, 08:53 PM
yea i already have done have got insurance up to 5million but was wondering do i need separate insurance for the balms and butters im gon abe making or does my certification cover that

ElaineJ
12-07-2009, 02:14 AM
Your certification doesn't exactly give you insurance cover - it does prove that the products you make which are covered by that certification have been assessed by an appropriate person.

If your insurer is aware that the products which you sell include toiletries etc. made by yourself and properly certified then your product liability will give you the cover.

deedoo
12-07-2009, 07:34 PM
When you say attempting to make does that mean you have not made any product so far at all?

baines
13-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Ian Wallace Aviva insurance is one used by many craftspeople and it is usually the one I recommend to jewellery makers out there.

michelle87
13-07-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.nmtf.co.uk/index.php?id_cpg=1
ok i contacted the above link who i have public liability insurance with, they however do not cover product insurance for products made at home

anyone know where to get product insurance for homemade bombs lipbalsm etc

deedoo
13-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Ian Wallace does product insurance as already been suggested.

Have you made any product yet or are you still at the thinking of what you would like to make stage?

michelle87
13-07-2009, 01:00 PM
i am starting with lip balms and body butters

i have public insurance with the other link i posted do u know if ian just does product insurance without public liability included i cant seem to find it

deedoo
13-07-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/cost-ind.htm

or try contacting them and discussing what you want.....

Telephone UK:
0800 919 359

How have you got certification if you have made no product?

michelle87
13-07-2009, 02:22 PM
a lady from here suggested a chemist and the type i have not many know of

deedoo
13-07-2009, 02:43 PM
That makes no sence what so ever!
What do you mean?

Did you but a certification package that was prepared by someone else?

Bath-Bomb.Com
13-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I think the worry some of us have, Michelle, is that, if a chemist has issued a certificate, without considering if you have the 'qualifications; experience or expertise to make the products, your certificate is (basically) pretty useless...

A good chemist will consider the ingredients; the method of manufacture and most (but not all) will want samples of your product for testing.

Clearly, if you're asking people for a recipe but saying you have the certificate, your chemist hasn't even considered the safety of those ingredients...let alone the fact that you don't appear to have any experience of making these products...

I think it's unlikely that someone could be 'injured' but, for argument's sake, lets say someone had a nasty allergic reaction to your lip balm and ended up in Hospital and then decided to sue you....Your Insurer would look at your certification of Safety and the chemist could be called for questioning by the court...so your chemist says..."I didn't see the recipe, I didn't check her qualifications, I didn't ask about her manufacturing practice - I just issued a certificate"...any court or Trading Standards Officer would consider the certificate worthless...

I think you should talk to Trading Standards about whether your certificate is valid, given the circumstances that you've indicated...

This is worrying to me :(

ElaineJ
13-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Not all chemists who do assessments require a physical product to be sent.

Providing they have the necessary knowledge they can, and will, approve and issue a certificate for a list of ingredients accompanied by a Good Manufacturing Statement.

This is how my assessor works - he has PhD in PharmacologyToxicology and was a founder member of the British Toxicology Society in 1979.
Member of Colipa Cosmetovigilance Task Force, Brussels 2005-06.
Member of UK CTPA Scientific Advisory Committee (1999-current).

So he certainly knows his stuff!

Bath-Bomb.Com
13-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I do appreciate that Elaine...I know that a good chemist will pretty much be able to tell just from looking at a recipe whether there might be any safety aspects...but at 9am on Saturday Michelle was asking if lip balm flavourings were the same as those used in cooking....at 12pm she was asking for a recipe for lip balms and by 5pm she had her Safety Certification....all in a day...

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this is a little bit suspect, in terms of, this is someone who wants to sell those lip balms to the public....

I was trying to be helpful and thought someone should point out to Michelle that this could be difficult to explain to Trading Standards if anything went wrong....

Jude

deedoo
13-07-2009, 03:34 PM
This whole thing has made me think that to buy a certification from someone who will prepare it all for you and within 2 weeks or so you have a certification on a number of products very worrying.

For someone to sit and write your pif and the endless ingredient possabilities, list of suppliers, your manufacturing practices etc etc has to somewhat be wrong.

By buying a cartification package you are not showing you have any clue as to how to make the products you intend to sell to the public.

To be able to get a certificatrion in this manner makes a whole mockery of the system that is in place to protect the public!

michelle87
13-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Not all chemists who do assessments require a physical product to be sent.

Providing they have the necessary knowledge they can, and will, approve and issue a certificate for a list of ingredients accompanied by a Good Manufacturing Statement.

This is how my assessor works - he has PhD in PharmacologyToxicology and was a founder member of the British Toxicology Society in 1979.
Member of Colipa Cosmetovigilance Task Force, Brussels 2005-06.
Member of UK CTPA Scientific Advisory Committee (1999-current).

So he certainly knows his stuff!

this is what certification im getting, have been ringing trading standards for more info etc

michelle87
13-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Lots of people don't know about the generic style assessments. They are very very popular amongst sopaers and crafters.
For soap makers I need details of formualtion etc. before I can do SA's but for the balms butters and bombs, you can order directly online

from chemist

greannancrafts
13-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Lots of people don't know about the generic style assessments. They are very very popular amongst sopaers and crafters.
For soap makers I need details of formualtion etc. before I can do SA's but for the balms butters and bombs, you can order directly online

from chemist

I've never heard of "generic assesments" and I would be very wary of them.

Jane

Bath-Bomb.Com
13-07-2009, 04:16 PM
It sort of makes sense in some respects...a bath bomb made by me is likely to be made in the same way as a bath bomb by A N Other...probably using the same ingredients and methods...So I can understand a chemist feeling that it's fairly safe to issue a Certificate based on a basic recipe...and a bath bomb goes in the water and anything 'nasty' in it would be dilute a thousand times (I guess)...but a lip balm goes on someone's lips...can be ingested ...*shiver*