PDA

View Full Version : Apothecary garden

soap queen
09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I am starting the layout for a new apothecary garden for a house that we are about to move into - I can give it about 1/4 acre and we will have a seperate orchard with all the usuals. I would love to hear anyones ideas on what should be included. I also have bees so would love to include anything that makes them even more happy!
amanda
ps should have said... and why?

beadsbydesign
09-07-2009, 02:08 PM
fennel, camomile, chicory,

sparkysdad
09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Given you are a soaper.. I would give saponaria a try (Tumbling ted) - I tried to grow it from seed in my Guerilla Garden, but didnt have much luck.. :confused:

But then, Im not good with growing things from seed apart fram nasturtiums!

beckyboo
09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
definatly marigolds ,comfrey,sageand not forgetting good old english lavender

sparkysdad
09-07-2009, 03:42 PM
definatly marigolds

Cos you like yellow flowers?? or because you wear rubber gloves to avoid creepie crawlies! :mf:

greannancrafts
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Cos you like yellow flowers?? or because you wear rubber gloves to avoid creepie crawlies! :mf:

She wears them when doing a bank job;)

Jane

craftdancer
09-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Chamomile, sage, thyme, chives, rosemary, another vote for lavender (various varieties - some are edible, some are more attractive to bees and insects, some have a better scent for pot pourri etc, some are great for adding to oils and making infusions etc), parsley, bay, garlic.

Linda

beckyboo
09-07-2009, 08:53 PM
She wears them when doing a bank job;)

Jane

lol...marigolds are really useful in apothecary I'll have you know
mixed with oil they relieve cuts,burns,itchy skin and even chapped lips so nerrrrr :sm:
plus they are a pretty colour ;)

greannancrafts
09-07-2009, 09:06 PM
lol...marigolds are really useful in apothecary I'll have you know
mixed with oil they relieve cuts,burns,itchy skin and even chapped lips so nerrrrr :sm:
plus they are a pretty colour ;)

That's why so many soapy/lotion makers use them, on the labels the the INCI name is Calendula officinalis ;)

Jane

removed10
10-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Well I have never been sure - ARE marigolds and calendula the same thing??

They both should be in the garden...and definitely lavender...

So, an apothecary garden...we're talking about a garden for medicinals and for soap making?

Better have some aloe vera! Or can you grow it that far north?

If you want something great for your bees, try giant sunflowers next summer - I can hardly get near mine for the bees! Then you have all those great seed pads...so cool looking!

Have you planned a hummingbird garden? Cut flowers garden??

I have something I call my inferno garden, on the west side of the house...for our hot, hot, HOT and mostly dry weather. Believe it or not, it's full of beautiful flowers...and they're deer resistant.

Moonbeam Angel
10-07-2009, 05:22 PM
feverfew and also cotton lavender, found out that if you take the leaves from the cotton lavender and rub them vigorously between your hands and then cup your hands over your nose and mouth and breath in, you will cure the runny eyes and nose of hayfever!!!!!

(if this isn't true blame the apothocary man at Kentwell Hall-he told me that's what the Tudors use for hayfever)

they also had lavender, rosemary, sage, chives, mint, lemongrass, nettles and marigolds in their gardens. They had lots of other plants aswell but I can't remember them off the top of my head!

Do know that I came home wanting all those plants in my garden...so far Ive got the lavender, mint, catnip and cotton lavender!

but the main thing is the smell is absolutely wonderful and they had lots of bees buzzing around, oh and they also had a bee stall.... a shallow birdbath with a little stone in the middle which the bee rests on to take a drink in between collecting nectar.....how sweet!

soap queen
15-07-2009, 07:42 PM
many thanks all-some interesting ideas. I am sure it will be an evolving project and I can't wait to get started:D

michelle87
16-07-2009, 09:00 PM
ohh u you will have to take pics im interested see what it will look like id love to do something like that x