PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed by Web Host

minxybags
07-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello all,

I have issues with my web host but before that, let me give you a bit of a background:

My partner’s friend was ok to do my website for a fee.
A few months later, he couldn’t do it anymore and gave me one of his contacts who could finish it for twice the amount I already paid for…
I said yes but when finished, the guy didn’t want to explain me how to update pictures and texts and wanted to charge me another small fee for it…
So, I changed/added the texts myself.

I sent a question to 123-reg a week ago to change the pictures
but they haven’t come back to me except with an ad to “upgrade”.
I pay £35 per year but the service is not great.

I was wondering the reason why I cannot change the pictures is because someone created the web for me or is it really because I need to updgrade?
Will the upgrade be that better?
Can I ask you which web host you are with and if you’re happy with the service offered?
Last question: I would like to add links but I have no idea how…would someone know?

Thanks a lot,
Cecile

perfectangel
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Cecile,
You don't need to upgrade your hosting just to be able to upload pictures.
Is your website uploaded yet? it possible to post a link of your website so we see what they have done?

I am with Hostgator and think they are brilliant. Always able to help when there is a problem and as their support is via online chat and they are based in the US there is always someone there and they usually sort it out immediatly, and if the person can't help they always ask someone and come back to you! I think they are about $4.95 a month (approx £3.00 a month)

Jo

TizzyDizzy
07-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Absolutely no reason on earth why you should have to 'upgrade' to add some new images and copy.

It really annoys me when these big hosting companies rip people off.

perfectangel
07-07-2009, 09:23 PM
** edit** i wrote all that before realising you managed to update your text. What did you use to do this?

Cecile,

have looked at the link you pm'd me and it is a straightforward HTML site. I wondered if they had use a CMS (content Management System) or shopping cart of some sort and then it would just have been a case of you logging into the admin panel.

So now you have a decision to make. If you want to be able to update it yourself then you are going to have to learn a little about how a website is built and some HTML even. There are free tools out there that you can use to update it and changing images it a fairly simple task but you need to have an understanding of what you are doing first. This may take a little time but it would be time well spent. The other choice is either to find someone you know who knows what they are doing or hire someone which means you have to shell out money everytime you need to update the text or images.

If you choose to learn how to do it yourself and i am sure there are loads of people here that will help you together with lots of resources you can find on the web in bookshops etc

Sorry this isn't much help or better news ...shout if you need anything!

Jo

nicksyb
07-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Cecile,

As per my PM I am happy to give you a hand with this.

I really, really hate it when companies try and charge you for something that doesn't take long to sort out at all. They prey on people that are not 100% sure with what to do and this really gets me angry :mad:

Changing images should be a straight forward task and you should have access to do this yourself, however until I have a gander *wanted to use that word for ages* :D at your backend (I mean website wise not that way) :sm: I can't see exactly what they have or have not done, nor what software they have used.

wendy
09-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I just wanted to add that if anyone was thinking of using http://www.heartinternet.co.uk for hosting or domain names, they have been fab. They respond to queries in less than 5 mins, by email ticket system, even on bank holidays!!, and are patient (and polite) with me being a technodunce. They have even offered to do stuff for me - no charge. (Although there is aboviously a hosting fee, all support is included in this).

It is relatively easy (although time consuming) for someone with little or no knowledge to set up a website themselves with them, although the more you know the easier it will be.

You can also have an integrated blog, which I believe is good for search engines, and has worked for me as my blog is first page for a lot of search terms now. Even ranked number 1 the other day for a local festival (above the festival's own site!). I can't see why else I'd be ranking so highly, because I haven't done anything special, although I do keyword to death at times!

Hope it is all sorted for you soon.

ElaineJ
10-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I just wanted to add that if anyone was thinking of using http://www.heartinternet.co.uk (http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/) for hosting or domain names, they have been fab. They respond to queries in less than 5 mins, by email ticket system, even on bank holidays!!, and are patient (and polite) with me being a technodunce. They have even offered to do stuff for me - no charge. (Although there is aboviously a hosting fee, all support is included in this).

Ditto Zen (http://www.zen.co.uk/). Very helpful with an 0845 number and UK based support staff.

(I've just purchased a couple of domains and the hosting because of this fiasco (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=29346) still not sorted since 2nd July)

matt.chatterley
10-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Ditto Zen (http://www.zen.co.uk/). Very helpful with an 0845 number and UK based support staff.

(I've just purchased a couple of domains and the hosting because of this fiasco (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=29346) still not sorted since 2nd July)

We've used Zen for a long time for specific services - they are comparatively expensive, however, the service is really good - among the best out there.

We are now moving away, because we are scaling up to our own (hosted) equipment - it's not a reflection on the service.

Do beware with Zen that if you want to do anything 'more complicated' and need an SSL certificate, they charge a fortune for 'em, though!

minxybags
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
** edit** i wrote all that before realising you managed to update your text. What did you use to do this?

Cecile,

have looked at the link you pm'd me and it is a straightforward HTML site. I wondered if they had use a CMS (content Management System) or shopping cart of some sort and then it would just have been a case of you logging into the admin panel.

So now you have a decision to make. If you want to be able to update it yourself then you are going to have to learn a little about how a website is built and some HTML even. There are free tools out there that you can use to update it and changing images it a fairly simple task but you need to have an understanding of what you are doing first. This may take a little time but it would be time well spent. The other choice is either to find someone you know who knows what they are doing or hire someone which means you have to shell out money everytime you need to update the text or images.

If you choose to learn how to do it yourself and i am sure there are loads of people here that will help you together with lots of resources you can find on the web in bookshops etc

Sorry this isn't much help or better news ...shout if you need anything!

Jo
Hi Jo,

Thanks so much, I have started to learn and done some bits on it and I won't be beaten by a web host!!

minxybags
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks to all of you, you've been very helpful and I feel more confident in doing it myself,
My webhost is 123-reg and they are charging 10p per minute for calling them!!:mad:
It might be working for some people but not me.
Cecile

Makedoandmend
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm setting up my own site (something I havent done before) and have joined streamline.net. They seem to be very good, and have a website design program with hundreds of templates so you literally just fill in the blanks with your own photos and info. It cost us about £90 for 2 years hosting, the domain name, 15 mailboxes and the webdesign program but thats a lot cheaper than paying someone else to do it and its all looking pretty good so far...just hope I manage to get it online ok when I get to that bit!

Cuckoos Nest
27-07-2009, 12:33 AM
We've created our own website for FREE following recommendation from someone on this forum.
It is www.weebly.com (http://www.weebly.com) Yes OK, it takes a while to sort yourself out, but if you've got a couple of hours to browse around the site and try different things out until you're satisfied, you can't go wrong. You can upload and alter images and text to your hearts content, as and when you want to, and it costs nothing. We're more than satisfied and would recommend them unreservedly.