PDA

View Full Version : Stability Testing

karoloydi
06-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I asked for a quote for safety assessment and they asked me for stability test data. Is this a requirement by law? Cause two out of the three people I have asked for a quote didnt ask me for it when I asked them for the requirements.
Who does this stability testing? Does it need to be done by a proffessional chemist? Or is it done by the manufacturer?

melindacoss
06-07-2009, 11:33 PM
What is your product. Do they mean 'challenge testing'?
Some assessors require this for liquid products and others don't. If you need an assessor who doesn't we use one who, providing he is OK with your formula will assess a liquid soap without challenge testing if it is in a pump bottle. Details on our website. That said, you need to be pretty confident that the soap will stand the test of time but need to know what your product is to advise on that.
Melinda

karoloydi
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM
What is your product. Do they mean 'challenge testing'?
Some assessors require this for liquid products and others don't. If you need an assessor who doesn't we use one who, providing he is OK with your formula will assess a liquid soap without challenge testing if it is in a pump bottle. Details on our website. That said, you need to be pretty confident that the soap will stand the test of time but need to know what your product is to advise on that.
Melinda

My soap is solid. So, does that mean my soap doesnt need testing?
On the packaging we are supposed to put how many months after it opens its ok to be used. How do you determine that? Do I just leave my soap open somewhereand see how long it takes to go bad?

greannancrafts
07-07-2009, 09:34 AM
My soap is solid. So, does that mean my soap doesnt need testing?
On the packaging we are supposed to put how many months after it opens its ok to be used. How do you determine that? Do I just leave my soap open somewhereand see how long it takes to go bad?

You assessor should give you your shelf life.

Jane

melindacoss
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Solid soap doesn't need challenge testing and provided you put your date of manufacture on the label you shouldn't need to include a use by date. Strictly speaking a retailer has the right to demand that your product will last for 30 months unless it has a sell by date on it.

When supplying large companies like supermarkets we used to check the stability of our soap by keeping bars at various temperatures (we had a special laboratory oven thingee can't remember the name) over a period of two weeks or so to speed up its life and see how it would react. If your assessor is used to working with large companies this is probably the process he is talking about.

CP bar soap, if made correctly should improve with age in terms of consistency but it will probably lose its scent within six weeks and the colour will also fade.
Melinda