PDA

View Full Version : eek, a steek!!

removed10
04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Has anyone here got experience with steeks? I just got a knitting book I ordered from Amazon, and am rather disappointed, except for this one blanket made in the round, with a "steek" ... very interesting sounding...got to give this a try soon!

claireybear
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Lol, what on earth is a steek?

removed10
05-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Evidently it's a series of extra stitches at the beginning and ending of each row, in a pattern that's knitted in the round, and the steek stitches are double wrapped to be LOOSE, and when you've finished the "tube," as it were, you can cut it apart at this "seam" so to speak, and voila, it's a big open flat piece. Now what the attraction is, in doing a blanket this way, I'm not quite sure...

You do have to stitch, apparently with a sewing machine, along either "edge" of either side...before cutting through the steek. And then also you have to tuck all those cut ends in...sounds like a lot of trouble but there must be a good reason for doing something this way.

Sites online keep saying "DON'T BE SCARED." Uh. That's scary in itself....but these sites seem to be talking about simply machine stitching two parallel lines and then cutting down the middle, like in a spot where you would want to insert a sleeve or hidden pocket or something. NOT something I'd want to do with slippery yarn...

silvermaid
05-07-2009, 12:56 AM
The only advantage I can find when I googled it was that it is quicker, as you are only using knit stitch and not purl and that it is easier to see where you are going with a complicated stitch or colour pattern.
I would not be keen on sewing in all those little ends either, though if you used an overlocker you would not need to.

Melanie

removed10
05-07-2009, 03:32 AM
That makes sense.

Critchley
05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Go for it. Be very interested in the finished result.

removed10
06-07-2009, 04:41 AM
Me, too...it takes me a long time to finish anything - I'm a starter...and love to try new things, but for some reason I don't often finish anything! I wonder why. Oh well.