PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Machine

StrawberryMangoes
18-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you own/use a laser cutting machine. I'm looking into getting one - I only want a small one (I have seen some laser cut jewellery made from leather that I'd love to do my own version of) and one that doesn't break the bank too much.

I requested a guide from a compnay and the cheapest they did was 7.5k!!! I've looked on ebay (again - around 3k) - the cheapest was 600 odd but its in china and I'm not sure of the compnay etc (bet the P&P will be a joke!).

Can anyone help?

wendy
19-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Could be a fab excuse for a holiday in China!!

Sorry I've not got anything more useful to say :sm:

StrawberryMangoes
19-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Ah but it made me smile :)

GlamGlass
19-06-2009, 03:38 PM
What about trying to get a group together who could all pay and use it? or try local colleges to see if they have one you can hire??

StrawberryMangoes
29-06-2009, 11:38 PM
That is a top notch idea! I'll see if there is one in Herts. Although St Martins is only a short train trip into London.

Cheers,
C

Marion Mitchell
30-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Instead of buying a laser cutting machine, how about getting your leather cut by a laser cutting company?
We use one for a lot of our cut outs for our cards and they work out very economical.
We just send them the fabric, the shapes we want cut out, and we get them back in the post.

StrawberryMangoes
30-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Can I ask what the name of the company is?

Cheers :)

Marion Mitchell
30-06-2009, 12:30 AM
This is their website
http://www.lasercutit.co.uk/

kayleee
28-07-2009, 11:28 PM
That's a really useful link thanks!

Sunday Girl Accessories
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi, I have a laser cutter, bought from China via ebay, after problems with an english company. There were more problems with the delivery of it (and lots of hidden charges) but now i finally have it. Bit of a nightmare getting it working at first. I've got to admit, i probably wouldn't go though it again, but then i think i was unlucky with the whole ordeal.

Now it works well, although not as well and the super one i used at uni. I love what it can produce and am glad i now own one. (would post a link to show you what i make, but i can't yet as i havn't done 25 posts!)

If you want to know more, just ask me.
Or alternatively, i could possibley cut some things out for you.

Steph

Zap! Creatives
19-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi there,

I own a laser cutting company and bought one of these chinese laser to have a play with. They are quite dangerous so please be careful when operating them.

The one that we received had to be manually focused whilst the laser was firing. this meant having your hands inside the laser cabinet to manually adjust the focus mirrors and lenses whilst the laser was on!!

These lasers won't do a lot of damage to your skin during a quick exposure but the damage to your eyes can be devastating if the beam should catch you!

Fumes are also another concern with these chinese machines. A lot of them will use a water pump from an aquarium to cool the laser (water and electricity!!) and a bog standard household extractor fan to extract fumes away from the cutting cabinet. If these fumes are not passed through a Hepa filter or similar you can run the risk of inhaling toxic gasses and fumes which, if you are cutting acrylics like perspex, lucite, etc. are carcinogenic!

the price of these systems seem great at 1000 ish but please consider your personal safety when purchasing one of these machines!

We use large format CE approved lasers and can also print onto acrylics with scratch and weatherproof full colour inks.

PM me or visit our website for more information.

Good luck and be safe!!

Dave
Zap! Creatives

Georgia1995
03-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Ino this was i while ago you posted this but are you still using your laser cutter ??

Hi, I have a laser cutter, bought from China via ebay, after problems with an english company. There were more problems with the delivery of it (and lots of hidden charges) but now i finally have it. Bit of a nightmare getting it working at first. I've got to admit, i probably wouldn't go though it again, but then i think i was unlucky with the whole ordeal.

Now it works well, although not as well and the super one i used at uni. I love what it can produce and am glad i now own one. (would post a link to show you what i make, but i can't yet as i havn't done 25 posts!)

If you want to know more, just ask me.
Or alternatively, i could possibley cut some things out for you.

Steph