PDA

View Full Version : Are there safety regulations for selling candles?

CraftyJen
12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
I've done a bit of googling and searched on here and can't find anything that says you need to be assesed or anything like that (apart from needing insurance), but I just wanted to check with somebody that is actually selling candles to see if there have been any changes.:confused:
Thanks very much.
Jen

girlyracer
12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi Jen

Although at the moment we don't have compulsory assessments, this could change in the very near future.

There are 3 newish British Standard which will apply to all candles
1. BS EN 15493:2007 - Specifications for Candle Safety
2. BS EN 15494:2007 - Specifications for Product Warning Labels
3. BS EN 15426:2007 - Specifications for Sooting Behaviour

The word is that when it becomes enforceable we will have to have every combination of candles tested and each test will cost in the region of 300.

So if you offer tea lights in say 20 different scents it will cost you 6,000 to have them tested. Then there are votives, different sized container candles, pillars, etc

As you can see this is going to put all but the big companies out of business. This is in no way meant to put you off, but this is the reality of what will happen to most of us small, independent candle makers in the future.

In the meantime just enjoy making and selling candles while it lasts. That's what I intend to do ;)

CraftyJen
18-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh flippin heck that's a lot of money:o:o:o!
Do you know when abouts this is likely to come into force *fingers crossed it won't be for a while*
Thanks;)

jysmith_uk
19-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi,

does anyone know if these standards (or any others) have been enforced yet?

thanks
Julie

floatingcraft
22-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi,

does anyone know if these standards (or any others) have been enforced yet?

thanks
Julie

I would also be interested in knowing this before I start buying lots of ingredients - just had my soap selling ambitions curtailed!

If not, back to cards and jewellery for me :)

Frances

soyofthenorth
22-01-2012, 06:31 PM
At the moment, there is only legislation to provide information on the risks that candles have, that is compulsary. To comply, you just need a sticker on your candle or a leaflet available with your candle, which highlights these risks. The page at http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-consumeradvice/tradingstandards-candlesafety.htm can explain it in more detail.

So basically, one small leaflet/sticker is all you need at the moment.

floatingcraft
22-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you very much for that.

That was what I thought, but just wanted to make sure :)

jysmith_uk
21-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I would also be interested in knowing this before I start buying lots of ingredients - just had my soap selling ambitions curtailed!

If not, back to cards and jewellery for me :)

Frances

Hi,

what are the regs with soap selling as I was also considering that?

thanks
Julie