PDA

View Full Version : Stow Pie recipe?

Dagna
02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Many years ago, my Mum used to buy Stow Pies from a butcher in Stow on the Wold, on journeys between Sussex and Liverpool. I used to love them, but haven't seen any references to them for years (even my Google-fu has failed me! And so has every cookery book I have checked.)

Does anyone happen to have a recipe or method? I think they were a mixture of beef and venison, and the ones we used to get were rectangular and in a puff pastry shell.

Or does anyone still make and sell them?

Thanks,

removed10
04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Could it be something like empanadas? Google beef empanadas and see if that is sort of like what you're looking for.

ElaineJ
05-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I found this recipe for Irish Gamekepper's Pie on the Farmers' Guardian website.

You might be able to adapt it.

The selection of meat is flexible according to availability, but any game can be used.
Ingredients
4 pheasant breasts
Meat from 1 rabbit
2 mallard breasts
2 slices of braising steak or venison
Bacon pieces
2 beef stock cubes
2 330ml bottles of Guinness
1 onion or banana shallots
Mushrooms
Wild thyme
Seasoning
2 tbspn cornflour
Shortcrust pastry
METHOD
1. Cut all the meat into large chunks, removing skin, bones and any excess fat.
2. Peel and chop the onion or shallots, add the mushrooms and place in large ovenproof dish.
3. Crumble stock cubes over onion/mushrooms, add the thyme and seasoning and pour the Guinness over the mix, stirring well.
4. Cover securely with tinfoil and braise in the oven at 180C (350F, Gas Mark 4) for 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
5. Remove the foil and thicken the gravy with cornflour mixed with a little cold water.
6. Roll out the pastry and cover the pie, creating decorative lid and bake until pastry is brown and the ingredients hot.

(I'd make my own stock rather than use stock cubes though)

robd
19-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi.
How long ago was this? I used work for a company that made Stow pies about 25 years ago in Broadway called H H Collins, I now have my own small Pie Company called the Cotswold Pie Company based in Evesham, It was beef and venison in a red wine gravy, anyway I am thinking of making them again in an individual and round family size,
Hope this helps,
Rob

Scorch
19-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Sounds yummy...

robd
13-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Now producing on a daily basis and sold in Broadway at Broadway Deli.

Cheers.

Rob

robd
21-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Our Stow Pie got a Bronze award in the National pie awards in Melton Mobray also did our Steak and Kidney But But But our Pork pie was awarded GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Rob

garcia
30-06-2010, 01:48 PM
stow pie is my wife's favorite. I make it often from a recipe in an old church cookbook. The recipe is similar, but uses less syrup and no salt.

NeilWoolford
26-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm looking for a Stow Pie supplier or recipe. The ones I had some thirty years ago in the Lamb and Flag pub in Worcester were almost certainly made by HH Collins.

Critchley
26-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the forun Neil. Nice to see you here. That thread is about 2 years old so I am not sure whether anyone here will know the answer, but good luck with it.

gummabcn
27-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I am also interested,...:-)