PDA

View Full Version : Handmade?????

Critchley
24-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I am doing a small Craft Fair (a rare thing for me) on Saturday and trying to sort out signs for the stall. I did one which said "Handmade" and hubby (Who thinks he is the font of all knowledge) immediately said that it was wrong as I had used the sewing machine. Now I can see where he is comming from but......Hmmmmm. Is he right? It is a cushion cover and I did handcraft the centre pannel and sew the zip in by hand. What do you think.

P.S. I haven't seen Indri on for a couple of days I wonder if the baby has arrived?

Louise88
24-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I would say handmade, after all you made it with your own hands and love.

I might be thinking of someone else but didn't Indri have a wedding or something to go to this weekend? Either way I hope the new cratsforum member arrives soon!!! :p

silvermaid
24-05-2009, 04:48 PM
He sounds just like my BIL (and also my DH at times) everything has to be taken literally. If you sewed it by hand and not machine would he then say you should have woven and dyed the material yourself?
It is handmade whether you used a sewing machine or not. The main thing is that it is a unique piece - that has also been hand-cut and designed by you. You do not have a factory or loads of workers that make it for you so you are perfectly entitled to say it is handmade.

Melanie

craftdancer
24-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree it's not hand made - it's HAND CRAFTED!! ;)

Of course it's handmade - unless of course you just chucked the fabric at the machine and it worked out what sort of stitching to do, where to do it, fastened off all the ends turned the thing the right way out and sorted out the corners, then put in the filling and stitched the final bits together?

Linda

Pagan
24-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree it's not hand made - it's HAND CRAFTED!! ;)

Of course it's handmade - unless of course you just chucked the fabric at the machine and it worked out what sort of stitching to do, where to do it, fastened off all the ends turned the thing the right way out and sorted out the corners, then put in the filling and stitched the final bits together?

Linda

I want one of them machines :D

I agree - perfectly entitled to call it Handmade

Craft-Biz
24-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi,
I think either or is ok but Hand Crafted probably is a more marketable message. Seems to me to denote a little more value and mystique than handmade.
Cheers
Marc

greannancrafts
24-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I would say handmade - unless you have a machine/robot that cuts out the material and pins them together?

Jane

urbancrafters
24-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Yes, I would definatly say handmade. I also think it's a good idea include this info in your sign as all the craft fairs I have attended have hardly had any items that actuall are handmade. I was a bit cross at the amount of 'market stall' type tables, people may not be able to tell which is which straight away.

AnnieAnna
24-05-2009, 06:00 PM
In costuming circles there are categories of handstitched, handstiched where it shows and machined all over but they are all handmade. You have to draw up your designs, draw the patterns, cut out with scissors, pin (I'm too lazy to tack), guide the pieces through the sewing machine etc and they haven't invented a robot to do that I'm happy to say - or I'd be out of a job. So they are all handmade.
I'd have to add that the clothes you buy in the high street are hand made too but doesn't that tell you something? Do we not consider the poor suckers who are making them for a dollar a day, humans like us, with hands?
Whoops am I going a bit political?
Back to cool calm and collected/grumpy old woman mode
Mutter, mutter, mutter....of course it's handmade........
AnnieAnna

urbancrafters
24-05-2009, 06:09 PM
In costuming circles there are categories of handstitched, handstiched where it shows and machined all over but they are all handmade. You have to draw up your designs, draw the patterns, cut out with scissors, pin (I'm too lazy to tack), guide the pieces through the sewing machine etc and they haven't invented a robot to do that I'm happy to say - or I'd be out of a job. So they are all handmade.
I'd have to add that the clothes you buy in the high street are hand made too but doesn't that tell you something? Do we not consider the poor suckers who are making them for a dollar a day, humans like us, with hands?
Whoops am I going a bit political?
Back to cool calm and collected/grumpy old woman mode
Mutter, mutter, mutter....of course it's handmade........

AnnieAnna

I hope that wasn't in reference to my post. I quite agree with you on the political aspect of 'fair trade'. Didn't mean to cause offence.

Critchley
24-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I will use "Handcrafted" thankyou. I have also decided to pin all my small stuff to the tablecloth on the day as it is easily nicked. (What an untrusting s*d I am) only I have been there and got the T shirt having been a market stall holder. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

AnnieAnna
24-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Urbancrafters (sorry - tried to make this a comment on your post and mucked it up)
No no....I was just muttering out loud.
I do that a lot - it keeps me sane ;)
AnnieAnna
PS - I didn't actually see your post as I think we were both typing at the same time.

greannancrafts
24-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I will use "Handcrafted" thankyou. I have also decided to pin all my small stuff to the tablecloth on the day as it is easily nicked. (What an untrusting s*d I am) only I have been there and got the T shirt having been a market stall holder. Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Now there is another thread you could start - "do you get stuff nicked?"

:)

Jane

AnnieAnna
24-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Carol - but the poor little shoplifters will prick their poor little fingers :D
or maybe you are going to use safety pins.......:(
AnnieAnna

Pagan
24-05-2009, 06:28 PM
A lady who goes to one of my regular craft fairs uses a bi-fold trellis to hook all her cushion covers and bags to - looks really good too

Moonbeam Angel
24-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Have to say I prefer the term handcrafted to handmade as things can be mass produced and still handmade, but handcrafted is more what us crafters do!!! Either way you still made it either with a machine or your hands, but even with the machine your hands still worked it!!!!