PDA

View Full Version : Kiln Formed Gondola "Sea Foam" at Chez Gloria

dichrofindings
19-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I know some of you have been following my recent blogs (http://dichro-findings.blogspot.com/) about my new glass art project at Chez Gloria . . well . . I finished it late this afternoon!! Phew! Its been a busy couple of weeks trying to get it done!

Soz in advance for the piccy . . it's a bit late in the day to get a really good photo . . but here it is anyway . .

Sea Foam - A Gondola Bowl by Gloria - Fused, Kiln Formed & Hand Finished - 21 inches long x 7 inches high x 3 1/2 inches wide . .

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2205/3545598261_d1e031803c.jpg

As you can imagine . . I'm really dead chuffed with the results . . in fact . . I'm quite over the moon and not a little surprised at myself! :mf::mf::mf:

I'm off now for a really good cuppa . . :D

boden girl
19-05-2009, 06:47 PM
ooh, that's gorgeous! and well named!
x

beckyboo
19-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Gloria that is stunning,
Beautiful colours and so fluid .....love it

I do love any glass but that is gorgeous , no wonder you are so proud of yourself.

Madly Creating
19-05-2009, 09:14 PM
My favourite of your work so far! :mf:

dichrofindings
19-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks Girls . . I'm pleased you all like it! :D . . and to be quite honest . . I have surprised myself somewhat :o . . I didn't think I had it me! I've been celebrating with a massive take-away curry :sm:

The hardest bit was the waiting and checking . . and the not knowing! It frustrates the hell out of me sometimes . . but I love seeing the final outcome . . and most of the time it's worth the wait and the work. :D

I'm definitely gonna do another one . . perhaps in greens . . to reflect the downs near to where I live. What do you reckon? I've got a big piece of glass in swirly greens that I made myself by melting loads of greens and clear glass thro a stainless steel mesh - called a Mesh Melt - and done at 1750F! :o

toppotter
20-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Great piece of work.

can I ask what is your mould made from?

dichrofindings
20-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks Babe . . glad you like it! :D

Great piece of work.

can I ask what is your mould made from?

Of course you can hon! :D

It's made from heat resistant fibreboard which has been hardened with colloidal silica hardener and then fired before use and finally kiln washed with . . errr . . kiln wash :D . . to stop the glass sticking to it.

Has to be fibreboard because the shapes I use are easily cut out of it using a craft knife/scalpel before it's hardened . . it gives a great deal of flexibility to the design process for a very reasonable price.

I do have some drop slump moulds in clay . . but they're smaller . . only up to about 8" in diameter.