PDA

View Full Version : Facebook and Twitter

greannancrafts
19-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I know that there has been much discussion on the forum about Facebook and Twitter ( Si - woodtattoos and his cheese sandwich;))

But I now see that Marks and Spencers and Royal Mail are on there too!!!

Can someone please explain the benefits of these mediums?

Jane

Caroleecrafts
19-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I think anything that is free is good advertising and you never know as people get to know you they may visit your site and buy.

greannancrafts
19-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I think anything that is free is good advertising and you never know as people get to know you they may visit your site and buy.

I agree - but do M & S and RM really need to twitter?
Jane

nattynetty
19-05-2009, 06:20 PM
but do M & S and RM really need to twitter?

I can just picture Royal Mail's twitter posts, likely to go along the lines of...

'Keep losing people's parcels wonder where they've gone.'

greannancrafts
19-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I can just picture Royal Mail's twitter posts, likely to go along the lines of...

And they are probably paying someone 45,000 per year to twitter about losing them:)

Jane

Craft-Biz
19-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I think the larger companies are starting to do it more for brand awareness. That subtle message from company A about product B might just stir the grey cells in a twitterer when they need product B.
Personally I find the whole twitter thing a sensory overload. Very much a younger persons scene but becoming yet another marketing medium for us to look at.
------------
Marc

woodtattoos
20-05-2009, 10:30 AM

and what about this Royal Mail Tweet...

"Keep finding all these parcels marked Secret Easter Bunny. I hate rabbits. Must do my best to lose them all."

Millsy83
20-05-2009, 11:32 AM
See I get the whole facebook thing - people can advertise for nothing.
But Twitter just seems a waste of time. I signed up, and I used it about 3 times because it just seems a nonsense to me. It's a novelty at first, like facebook and myspace were, but now the novelty seems to be wearing off a bit.
I can see why companies would use it but, like others have said, what exactly would their updates be?? Personally, I go onto facebook to find out about my friends and to keep in touch (most of them are still in Birmingham, while I'm in Northampton), but you don't really get that with Twitter - most of the updates I read are "just making a cup of tea, might have a biscuit" or "I've just found a crisp in the shape of Jesus' head in my bag of Walker's"...... those sort of updates I can do without.

I know people will disagree with me, but that's how I feel about it.

Sally x

The Flower Jewellery Shop
20-05-2009, 11:45 AM
That's how I feel too. I can't see the point of Twitter tbh. The only time I've found it useful is when Dancing on Ice was on and Phil Schofield would give twitter updates about the show during the week - someone would post his twits? on the message board I was on (sad I know).

Facebook is okay although I find I spend too much time on there (when I can remember to log in) and MySpace I've not really bothered too much about yet.

But apart from it being a good way of keeping in touch with friends, I can see the SEO benefits of Facebook for a small business like mine. Google ignores link exchanges now and sites like Facebook (and even this forum) are much more valuable SEO wise.

Can't see the point of big brands doing social networking, as surely most people would just go to the brand's website? I suppose it shows they move with the times.

matt.chatterley
20-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree - but do M & S and RM really need to twitter?
Jane

I suspect M&S need to do everything they possibly can in order to (re)capture a loyal following - despite my personal dislike for them here in Jersey (e.g: Failure to honour birthday promotions - see my blog (http://yesicomplainalot.blogspot.com/2009/05/marks-and-spencer-jersey-birthday.html)) - it would be fair to say they are gradually being eroded by other companies competing for the same trade.

They aren't the first name in clothing, or in food, home electronics/gadgets or indeed - anything. At least woolies had Pick'n'Mix! :)

greannancrafts
20-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I suspect M&S need to do everything they possibly can in order to (re)capture a loyal following - despite my personal dislike for them here in Jersey (e.g: Failure to honour birthday promotions - see my blog (http://yesicomplainalot.blogspot.com/2009/05/marks-and-spencer-jersey-birthday.html)) - it would be fair to say they are gradually being eroded by other companies competing for the same trade.

They aren't the first name in clothing, or in food, home electronics/gadgets or indeed - anything. At least woolies had Pick'n'Mix! :)
True

I read that Dell (computers) now only advertise on Facebook and the likes, they used to spend a fortune advertising in every newspaper and magazine - this had led to newspapers and mags really struggling because they are losing so much revenue.

Jane

ejralph
24-05-2009, 08:00 PM
I am sure some of the bigger companies are only doing it because they are jumping on the band-wagon. Especially with Twitter.

I use both myself. I have a facebook page for EJR Beads where I have galleries up of my handmade beads, - a separate gallery for my ceramic, glass and polyclay stuff since my customer base is a little different for each medium.

I also have a Twitter, which I only really use a quick and easy way to let customers know new beads have been listed.

Both seem to have worked well for me, getting a few followers / fans without really doing much work and every little helps really doesn't it.

As to if these sites have the same usefulness in a years time or 3 years - well that is a different matter I guess. I have no idea, but for now its another fun way to do a little easy and free promotion.

CreativeFabrics
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
And they are probably paying someone 45,000 per year to twitter about losing them:)

Jane

:mf: nice one!

ramboto2
07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Royal Mail? Jesus lol trying to keep up to date. facebook is fun though.twitter is lame

Bath-Bomb.Com
07-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm a recent Twitter convert (and not that young!) and I have to say I love it...I don't use it for my businesses though..it's more about messaging my friends and family.

One of the best things about it is that there are lots of Celebs who tweet - and if you aren't particularly interested in what Britney and LiLo (lindsay Lohan) are up to today - I can thoroughly recommend Stephen Fry's twitter page and his 'alter-ego' Mrs Stephen Fry - they are the funniest thing on there and for anyone who appreciates dry, witty humour their tweets are unmissable.

Maybe I'm just weird ;)

CreativeFabrics
07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
It took me awhile but I do now have a page set up on Facebook. I need more fans for it though.

But now my cart has a mod to tweet my products directly from my store, so I went ahead and gave in to joining twitter - it has to be convenient otherwise I won't bother.

But, I guess in the end it is about offering ways of communication that is easy or convenient for the customer. So if a customer would rather just get a tweet instead of a newsletter, so be it. I hate doing newsletters anyway! ;)

Critchley
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Or "Snail Mail will never fail"

CreativeFabrics
07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I just found this article on using Twitter with your business... might be useful :D

http://www.winningtheweb.com/twitter-seo-optimize-search.php

swirlyarts
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm a big twitter fan - I use it to post what I am doing throughout the day be it crafty stuff or not. And I am guilty of a few 'I'm off to make a cup of tea' tweets. I work at home alone (well with a toddler!) and it is invaluable to have a peek and see what other people are up to - it's my way of connecting with crafty people :)

Craft-Biz
14-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I think that both twitter and Facebook all have their place within internet marketing but both are distracting and can absorb a lot of time better spent on working on your business in somewhat more traditional ways.

The underlying thing with both twitter and Facebook is that ultimately you will still only get found if the almighty search algorithms deem anything that you have twittered or headlined on Facebook as worthy of note above the other 10,000,000 sites out there.

Traffic for traffics sake is just white noise. If you set up your website using tried and true keyword strategies and understand the power of back linking, the customers who search and find you are ten times easier to sell to because they reach you further down the sales funnel.

Many experts agree that working on monetizing web2 should come after having a solid working older style web1 presence. I will probably get shot for saying that but I have sites as number 1 in google because of solid traditional strategies.

I would always say that having a good business model in place, followed by an understanding of how to use keyword research to your benefit and then how to promote your site so that it is strong in goggles eyes is a precursor to any large amouunts of time twittering about.:)
Cheers
Marc

rebecca
19-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi Jane,

I think Twitter can work really well for businesses if you want to keep your customers informed about your service. We use ours to inform our current users (and anyone else interested in following us) about all the new things we are launching daily along with anything else we think our customers need to be aware of.

I hope this works to inform our customers about what's happening with our service and that knowing more about our service and it's functionality directly helps them to build better websites, make more money and be happy that we are on the ball with our service and making improvements all the time.

Take a look at what we have been doing on ours for ideas at twitter.com/doyourownsite

I think if you are looking at Twittering to promote your business rather than just twittering fun stuff with your mates/colleagues then you need to think about who is going to follow you and what they would want to know about what you and your business are doing on a daily basis - that way you will build a relationship with (hopefully fairly) targetted customers and make more sales from them.

For example, one of our customers sells really gorgeous wrappers for cupcakes, she doesn't have load of followers or people following her, but the ones she does have are mainly people making cupcakes. Therefore when she posts about new cupcake wrapper styles on her twitter or that she's got a new set of cupcake recipes on her website with a direct link to view them. Lots of her followers will hopefully see the link and go through to her website to see the new recipes and products.

The end aim of the Twitter post is basically to get a sale on her website.

Interspersing this type of news with other tidbits or having conversations with other users makes you Twitter more interesting for your followers, rather than it being a constant blatant suggestion to come to your website to buy, which can end up putting people off.

In regards to Facebook, we have a Fan page, but it's not been particularly actively promoted as have concentrated more on our Twitter. If you have time I think it can work, but you have to weigh up time vs reward and determine if you are going to reach lots of *your* potential/existing customers (the same with any social media platform).

My two pence, which I hope you will find interesting.. if not helpful :D

Rebecca

indri
19-06-2009, 02:50 PM
and what about this Royal Mail Tweet...

"Keep finding all these parcels marked Secret Easter Bunny. I hate rabbits. Must do my best to lose them all."

evil royal mail anti-bunny organisation.http://static.keebali.com/paw-talk.net/forums/images/smilies/jun06/bunnydance.gif Hope they aren't anti-santa http://static.keebali.com/paw-talk.net/forums/images/smilies/santa1.gif too....;)

kipper workshops
19-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi eveyone, very interesting discussion.

I tweet, not lots but I am failrly new to it. I think the thing that has everyone excited about twitter is based upon an old idea that successful marketers have used for many, many years. People buy from people that they like!

The idea is that you can use twitter to let your customers get to know you, and your company. It makes it personable, friendly, cosy, one to one etc... That's why the likes of royal mail and M&S are keen to be on there, they know it works.

It is the very fact that twitter posts are about having a cup of tea, or taking a walk, or what I've just read etc.. that makes it so different. The aim is to get potential customers to like you and have a loyalty to you. That's why so many celebs are on there too, with massive following.

So, yes twitter is banal, and silly, and seemingly pointless but it provides a very powerful marketing tool for small and large businesses if they can use it right and get a loyal following of reader who 'like them' and want to buy from them!

Just my thoughts!

Steve :-)