PDA

View Full Version : Art Gecko

Aviya Glass
14-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Don't groan too loudly, :p:p:p OH said it was very Art Gecko and despite being very very lame, the name has stuck.:o
There is more on my blog (http://aviyaglass.blogspot.com/2009/05/art-gecko.html) if anyone wants to see my inspiration and how it all went.
It is my first attempt at anything other than glass jewellery pieces which are small and much more predictable. :D
He is 16cm x 16 cm (61/2" X 61/2")
Like it? Hate it? Any ideas on how I should attach him to the wall????
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y6594lzb9JU/SgvZWpfHyLI/AAAAAAAAALA/3U0xu9scC14/s320/2009-05-14-004.jpg

Moonbeam Angel
14-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Terry I think he is absolutely gorgeous. As to how to fix him, Ive no idea other than to perhaps "no nails"/glue a d-ring to the back of him???

I have always done my geckos in "gecko" colours but I did find some pics of some very bright and vibrant ones which reminded me of graffitti and now seeing your bright colours I think I might have a go (but I won't copy yours)

Well done, a brilliant 1st gecko (and I think the name is good too):D

boden girl
14-05-2009, 10:52 AM
wow! he's fab!! i want one!
not sure what he's made of (so how heavy he is) but how about some picture hanging type bracket holder thingys (technical term) on the inside?

Autumn Faerie
14-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Love it, love it, love it - I adore lizards and this one is just gorgeous - love the name too :D

Not sure how you'd fix him - is he flat on the back or hollow? you'd want something pretty secure so he doesn't fall off!

Absolutely fab, off to look at your blog now :D

Madly Creating
14-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Love it! :D Any chance you can mount some hook on the back, so you don't spoil the front-side with attachments?

Lydia
14-05-2009, 10:57 AM
He is beautiful! And if you think your pun is bad, have a look at one of the things I make ;)
(Oops can't post a pic as I haven't posted enough yet, but I have a 'karma chameleon' on my site. )

MuranoSilver
14-05-2009, 11:15 AM
OMG he's gorgeous...I've always wanted a Geko like this
will you be making them for sale? (lines up ready to buy)

Nic xx

boden girl
14-05-2009, 11:26 AM
wow! he's fab!! i want one!
not sure what he's made of (so how heavy he is) but how about some picture hanging type bracket holder thingys (technical term) on the inside?

oops! (it makes sense him being made of glass.... with your name being Aviya Glass n'all!) 10 out of 10 to me for observation! ..d'oh!

sparkysdad
14-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Don't groan too loudly, :p:p:p OH said it was very Art Gecko and despite being very very lame, the name has stuck.:o
There is more on my blog (http://aviyaglass.blogspot.com/2009/05/art-gecko.html) if anyone wants to see my inspiration and how it all went.
It is my first attempt at anything other than glass jewellery pieces which are small and much more predictable. :D
He is 16cm x 16 cm (61/2" X 61/2")
Like it? Hate it? Any ideas on how I should attach him to the wall????
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y6594lzb9JU/SgvZWpfHyLI/AAAAAAAAALA/3U0xu9scC14/s320/2009-05-14-004.jpg

I love the name, and love the gecko!! I don't know where I would put him, but like it all the same! Is it made of dichroic glass only? or does it need light behind too??

Aviya Glass
14-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I love the name, and love the gecko!! I don't know where I would put him, but like it all the same! Is it made of dichroic glass only? or does it need light behind too??

Thanks! He is dichro on black glass so not translucent, I want him to sit high in a corner of a room like a real gecko would do if that makes sense - only it wouldn't panic me like a real gecko does :D:D:D
I don't want any fixings to show but to glue him straight to the wall is a bit too permanent.

sparkysdad
14-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks! He is dichro on black glass so not translucent, I want him to sit high in a corner of a room like a real gecko would do if that makes sense - only it wouldn't panic me like a real gecko does :D:D:D
I don't want any fixings to show but to glue him straight to the wall is a bit too permanent.

Well, if you dont need light behind, why not use Picture frame "D" rings - either one glued on the back so you can hang him on a hook, or try putting two rings on, and looping some picture wire or cord between, then you can alter his position by sliding him along the hook from time to time

Fluffy Squirrel
14-05-2009, 12:54 PM
This is absolutely gorgeous... I love the colours you've used, very bright and colourful. I love it!! No idea where I'd put it but he's fab!!!

janetdc
14-05-2009, 01:15 PM
He's beautiful. I love geckos and have a tattoo of one on my shoulder.He'd look great high up on your wall:sm:

Kitty11
14-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I love it, its fab, do you do cats?? I think you could do a fab animal range.:) The colours are great

Aviya Glass
14-05-2009, 02:10 PM
I love it, its fab, do you do cats?? I think you could do a fab animal range.:) The colours are great

I am working on a range of 'critters'. As you may have guessed by my avatar I love cats too! That is an excellent idea I could def do some kitties! Thanks!

Thanks all for the lovely responses everyone I really appreciate them, unfortunately I have apparently given out all my rep for today :(

Aviya Glass
14-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, if you dont need light behind, why not use Picture frame "D" rings - either one glued on the back so you can hang him on a hook, or try putting two rings on, and looping some picture wire or cord between, then you can alter his position by sliding him along the hook from time to time

I like this idea thanks! :mf:
Thanks Moonbeam Angel too for suggesting a D ring - I had to look it up! :o

wendy
14-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I absolutely love him and I love your idea of him being high on the wall somewhere, too.

The D rings sound a good idea. Also, in B & Q you can get a double sided tape which is ultra-secure and is guaranteed to carry a certain amount of weight. Can't remember its name, sorry, but I remember the plastic peely-off bits (technical term) are red and the sticky bit is clear.

Whichever way you hang him, he will look stunning.

removed10
14-05-2009, 10:52 PM
He's awesome! We have little geckos all over our house - my granddaughter and I got out on the front porch with flashlights and count them, after dark - good counting activity - she is just 4 and we usually get up to about 16...

Most of the colorful ceramic geckos and other lizards around here are from Mexico - sold on the roadside - they just have wires baked in to the backs..I do't know how sturdy/reiable they are. Probably not very....they're expensive and so I have never bought one!

Scorch
15-05-2009, 07:49 AM
That's great, and I love the name.

The guaranteed-sticky wossnames are called Tesastrips, I believe, and they do work. My sister's used them for everything under the sun...

GlamGlass
15-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Oh wow He is gorge!!!

Was he molded first? I love Gheko's even the real ones!!

silvermaid
15-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I think he's gorgeous and I love the name.
He reminds me of the aboriginal/African artwork but lovely and sparkly.

Melanie

sparkysdad
15-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Terry, maybe you should run classes.. I think I would pay to me given the chance to make something like that! :D Or a slab vase maybe.. :confused:

lisamarie
28-08-2009, 09:59 PM
wow he's gorgeous, will you be making more to sell?
i love geckos, i've got 4 leopard geckos as pets, they're gorgeous animals x x x

Aviya Glass
31-08-2009, 10:14 AM
wow he's gorgeous, will you be making more to sell?
i love geckos, i've got 4 leopard geckos as pets, they're gorgeous animals x x x

I would be happy to make more, to order, although each will be different of course.
Please PM me if you want to discuss further :)

MuranoSilver
31-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I have one of Terry's Gekos and he's stunning!!! :D
nicx

juliesjewellery
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
wow he is very attractive isnt he!

Did u use a mold?

x

Aviya Glass
02-09-2009, 11:41 PM
No he is cut free hand and fused several times.

Oh wow I think this is my 1000th post!

onlyme
03-09-2009, 09:17 AM
He is gorgeous, really he is! It's a shame his toes shrunk during the firing as they were lovely and long, but it doesn't take anything away from his beauty.

juliesjewellery
03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
You are one talented crafter to have cut him by hand...wow

Aviya Glass
03-09-2009, 12:00 PM
He is gorgeous, really he is! It's a shame his toes shrunk during the firing as they were lovely and long, but it doesn't take anything away from his beauty.

Thank you! yes shrunken toes not a desired outcome but a lesson learned and if I make another one it will be a long toed gecko - which keeps art gecko original and unique :D:D

Meljov5
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
only just seen this post, he is absolutely fab! We used to keep lizards, had geckos before moving on to iguanas but then sold them on when we had the kids! I therefore have a soft spot for lizards of any kind and it would be nice to have something as bright and cheerful as this in our hallway. I will pm you for an idea of price. I should think that these - and other animals in the same type of designs - would sell really well. Absolutely fab!!