PDA

View Full Version : Organic fabrics

tipsylipsy
09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Having now discovered that using Cath Kidston fabrics for my business is not going to work I would now like to explore the possibility of using organic fabrics. I have had a quick look on the web (for quick read 4 hours trawling last night) and cannot find anything suitable. There are a couple of companies offering organic cotton but the range is VERY limited unless I use plain fabrics. Finally my question is does anyone know of any retailers offering a decent range or organic fabrics.

Many thanks
Karen

ohsewbrixton
09-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I guess you are looking for nice bright coloured prints. Organic cotton is easy available, but unfortunately all those lovely colours are made of lots of evil artificial substances that would render the organic label a bit pointless! This is why organic fabric is a bit washed out - they can only use natural dyes.

greannancrafts
09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Could you not buy plain and then dye them with natural colourants yourself?

Experiment on cheap cottons first

Jane

tipsylipsy
09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info, any ideas on suppliers

greannancrafts
09-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info, any ideas on suppliers

Of organic or cotton fabric or eco dyes?

Jane

tipsylipsy
09-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Both if possible please

Thank you Karen

removed10
10-05-2009, 05:06 AM
I have bought fabrics from Dharma Trading Co. but it's in CA so may not be useful to you, but interesting to look through:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?query=organic&quickjumpURL=&quickjumpURL2=

AnnieAnna
10-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Dyeing with plants is a whole new ball game, but lots of fun. You will end up growing them in your garden.
To buy commercially (but why spend when you can get them for free?) try George Weil/Fibrecrafts and the Mulberry Dyer. For the How To Dryad do a super duper cheapo leaflet to get you started and The Handweaver's Studio stock every? book on dyeing you can think of.
http://www.fibrecrafts.com/FibreCrafts.asp
www.mulberrydyer.co.uk (http://www.mulberrydyer.co.uk)
Dryad - have they changed into Home crafts? www.homecrafts.co.uk (http://www.homecrafts.co.uk)
Handweavers Studio - I can't find their website but their address is all over the Web and you need to go in person or ask them for a catalogue.
AnnieAnna

removed10
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
YEARS ago I got a wonderful little book called A Dyers Garden: From Plant to Pot: Growing Dyes for Natural Fibers by Rita Buchanan and I found a place online where I could get woad of all things, and all sorts of other awesome things….omigosh – woad is not allowed in my state because it naturalizes and TAKES OVER, and the red amaranth - PIGWEED! It is STILL coming up in the garden after all these years!!

But natural dyeing is fun. Ladies in the spinning and weaving society I belonged to would all get together and have dye-pot parties, and bring food…GREAT times. I still do dyeing with my granddaughter, with beets and other benign things.

AnnieAnna
10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Cosmic Grammie - we are missing a trick here. They sell dye stuff in England in tiny pots at horrendously exhorbitant prices. You should be shipping out your weeds to me and we could stitch up the market.
:cool::jippie::first:;):D:D:D
AnnieAnna
Hey - they could be organic. Double the price!
Aw but tipsylipsy would never speak to us again........
We could give her a discount......

tipsylipsy
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Lol :D, I love your ingenuity. If it every gets off the ground make sure to let me know - and remember I have written evidence of the discount offer!!

Karen x

removed10
11-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Cosmic Grammie - we are missing a trick here. They sell dye stuff in England in tiny pots at horrendously exhorbitant prices. You should be shipping out your weeds to me and we could stitch up the market.
:cool::jippie::first:;):D:D:D
AnnieAnna
Hey - they could be organic. Double the price!
Aw but tipsylipsy would never speak to us again........
We could give her a discount......

I'm all for making money!! :D Yes, we'll give her a discount...

Okay, what's out marketing approach for pigweed...

I have to tell you, it was described as Navajo Red Amaranth something-or-other...Native American dye with some kind of spiritual meaning....

You know why they call woad "Woad," don't you, because it spreads and you can pick it all along the woadside....HA HA!! :D :D

Sorry...long day babysitting the grands.....

abrilward
22-05-2009, 05:50 AM
I like using the cotton fabric.. Cotton fabric please..