PDA

View Full Version : Do you donate a percentage of sales to charity?

zazu
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Hiya,

Well the title kinda explains all really!
I was just wondering if anyone does this as it is something i am quite keen to do as I always feel a bit guilty that I never seem to have enough money to donate.

Thanks

Critchley
08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
If I do ever sell anything it is at Age Concern and then I just take out the cost of the materials and they have the rest but I rarely do sell stuff.

Caroleecrafts
08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I have often donated a gift for a raffle prize, or if doing a party for charity they receive either total sales % in goods to raffle or the cash, any gift given for charity the cost of the materials can be offset on your tax return, as can cash.

greannancrafts
08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a chosen charity that I pay by gift aid each month - by standing order.

I do gift a gift voucher for charity events that are holding a raffle.

Did you know that if you gave every UK charity 1p - it would cost you over a million pounds?

Jane

sparkysdad
08-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a chosen charity that I pay by gift aid each month - by standing order.

I do gift a gift voucher for charity events that are holding a raffle.

Did you know that if you gave every UK charity 1p - it would cost you over a million pounds?

Jane

As an individual, Gift Aid is by far the best way for the charity, as they claim UK tax at basic rate back - you can do this by signing a waiver form, or just adding it to a covering letter... But as a business you can give untaxed earnings and write them off on your tax returns too..

There has been for a long time a commitment to get all business to join the 1% club, and donate 1% of pre tax profit to charity.. very few do sadly, but I think given the cost is minimal, all companies should consider it as an option.

Some companies do far further - MAC Cosmetics for example, they donate 100% of the retail sale price of their Viva Glam Lipsticks to the MAC AIDS fund, Although it is just one of 60 odd lip colours in their range, the amount raised since 1994 when the program started is in excess of $135m worldwide.. Now thats what I call "giving".. :D