PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Parch
05-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I want to knit a jumper in DK for a man who measures a 36" chest. I've scoured the local wool shops/departments for mens patterns and all I come up with are aran and chunky knits and even then they mostly start at size 38". I did find one that said 36" but the finished size was 40" which would be far too big. I'm looking for something with set in sleeves, round neck and a bit of pattern in it. If anyone can suggest a pattern no. for one I would appreciate it, as I'm now getting fed up of looking.

Thanks Anne

juliemarley
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi,
Sorry i cant help with a pattern no, but have you had a look on ebay they have loads of knitting patterns on there. Hope this helps. :)

lilacjojo
05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi

I would rexommend Knitting Patterns Central, they have loads of patterns. Although I haven't checked out their men's patterns.

Jo

Critchley
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I have just had a luck on Central and you are correct, mens patterns seem to start at 40. How odd. I wonder if you could get a teenager pattern for 36? Or even do they do one?

Mrs T Riddiough
06-05-2009, 10:44 AM
A size 36 would be either a 'teenage' pattern or a vintage pattern I would have thought. I'll keep an eye out though.

Phoenixjewellery
06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Why not knit a ladies 36 and add extra length for the back and sleeves?

sparkysdad
06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
A size 36 would be either a 'teenage' pattern or a vintage pattern I would have thought. I'll keep an eye out though.

36" is small in Mens sizing.. (not "size small", small for men's clothing)

When I worked in the retail sector we started at 38".. so I would agree that you probably need a child/teen pattern rather than an adult one? One with Mr Bunny might not be quite what the recipient wanted though, so pick carefully! *giggle*

Parch
07-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Ladies, I'll resume the hunt. Must admit I hadn't thought of looking through the childrens patterns. Will let you know what I find.

cat4dogs
18-05-2009, 12:22 AM
How are you at maths?
You can convert a pattern by using smaller needles, finer wool (using tension info) or doing the maths in working out how many stitches/rows less you need from the tension information.

Alternatively, there is a pattern in June's simply Knitting magazine for a man's jumper that starts with 36"/38" but fiinished size is 42 1/2" - it is cable though, so will pull in a little.

Another idea is to knit a plain 38" pattern but in 2 x 2 rib, that will definitely pull in.

If you have a particular pattern in mind that you would like to convert, feel free to pm me if you want help.