PDA

View Full Version : "Basques for Breast Cancer"

EmilyRichard
03-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello!
I'm officially a jeweller but dabble in corsetry. I love making them but don't normally have much purpose - I get one finished, wear it once or twice and then keep it tucked away in a box haha! But I've just found out about a Basques for Breast Cancer event, where you make a corset for a catwalk show and gallery exhibition in The Lock Gallery in Coventry, then they're auctioned off, the artist gets a cut and the rest goes to charity. So I thought, perfect! A reason to make a fabulous new corset!! And then I realised there may well be others on here like me who might be interested...

You can find more info on the Lock Gallery's website at thelockgallery.co.uk

Just thought I'd share that with you in case anyone wanted to join in too. I think it sounds like a great idea :)

beckyboo
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
sounds a fab idea

sadly I wouldn't know where to start but make sure you post a pic or add a pic of your basque to your albums so we can all take a peek :o

i'll google a few basque patterns but i have a feeling it will be beyond my basic sewing skills

:D

EmilyRichard
03-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Well if you want to join in I think you might be allowed to customise a pre-bought corset...but get in touch with Emma at the gallery to know the full deal, she's really nice!

nettie
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
What a lovely idea, lace and ribbons and all things sexy! I had a gorgeous pale blue one when we first got married and I fitted into it, haha. I don't sew but I've made a few cards with a basque and little gems on the front...mmm, I wonder where that one of mine is now, I could always let it out an inch or soooooooooooooooooo :D

RenataHarris
15-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Thats a great idea (who doesnt look good in basques, and for a good cause) and your jewellery is very quality and querky.

EmilyRichard
25-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the jewellery comments :)

I've just ordered some bits and bobs for my corset, really looking forward to making it! It's funny, I get far more excited these days about the prospect of making a corset than about making jewellery...but I suppose that's because I do it less often and I'm not trying to make money out of it!

tipsylipsy
27-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi Emily thanks for the info. I have been in touch with Emma and have decided to make one too. Just like you I am getting really excited about the design, its so far removed from the Childrens clothes I usually make, its like a breath of fresh air so I can empathise with you. I was reading about why Emma has decided to organise this and it really touched my heart, my husbands mother died of breast cancer when he was only ten so this is something close to our hearts. Are you going to be at the catwalk in August?

Karen

EmilyRichard
27-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Ooh I'm so pleased someone here's doing it too!
Good luck with yours :)
Unfortunately I won't be at the catwalk show as I'm on holiday then (typical, eh?) but I'll definitely be seeing the exhibition etc cos I'm really intrigued as to what the others will be like! x

Moonbeam Angel
28-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Thats a great idea, unfortunately I wouldnt have a clue where to start!

However, wanted to wish you all the very best of luck, Im sure it will go well and you will raise loads of money for a very worthwhile cause!

yaharni
11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum but have seen your post and am very keen to get involved... sounds like a great idea and for a very worthy cause. I have contact Emma so hopefully she will approve my design and I'll be showing there too!
have you submitted your design already?

EmilyRichard
13-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi, and (welcome) to the forum!

No I've not sent in my design yet but I saw Emma at a craft fair last weekend and she knows I'm entering. I'm going to get my design sorted and posted very soon, I actually started the corset first in case in went wrong and I had to change the design haha! But it's gone ok so far, touch wood...
Good luck with yours!
Emily

pepsi
13-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh I think that is a wonderful idea. I am recovering from a mastectomy myself and see surgeon Monday to see when my chemo starts. I wish I could help but a Basque is way out of my depth. Wishing you all who partake all the luck in the world. And a huge personal Thank you from me you little angels. xxx ;)

EmilyRichard
08-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Well, my effort for the event is finally done, dusted and given in to the gallery! I've put some pics in an album on my profile if anyone's interested :)

Has anyone else done/doing one? And are you going the the catwalk Karen? As I said, I can't make it on the 16th but will definitely be going to the private view on the evening of the 17th! It's quite exciting!!
x

silvermaid
08-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow That's gorgeous, well done. Hope it makes loads of money at the auction.

Melanie

EmilyRichard
10-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Wow That's gorgeous, well done. Hope it makes loads of money at the auction.

Thanks - here's hoping!! I'm a bit nervous/excited - I hope someone'll buy it...:mf:

Butterfly Bras
17-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Hello Emily - I was at the event yesterday as I 'recruited' the ladies to wear the basques that had been submitted. Just wanted to let you know that your basque was amazing & Louise the lady who wore it looked wonderful. It was a great day & the women participating had a wonderful time. So many thanks for all your efforts, it was well worth it. Gill

yaharni
18-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey Emily,

Your Corset looks amazing... you must be really pleased with it?! I also submitted a corset for the event... I ahve posted a few photo's on my profile.

I didn't make it to the catwalk show either, wish I could have been there but will hopefully see some pictures from it.... hope it went well..

Jehanne x

EmilyRichard
18-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Ah yes I saw your corset at the exhibition last night Jehanne, very nice it looked too! :)

Thanks for your comments too Gill, I'm glad the catwalk went well and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos! It was nice to see all the different ones in the gallery. I'm looking forward to the auction on 2nd September now!

X

pinklaces34
07-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Both your corsets are gorgeous, I am so jealous of you for being able to make things like this.

ChristaD
21-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Hello, would love to say this is a great Idea and I so wish I knew how to make corsets as I LOVE them myself but also to par-take in this fantastic cause, although breast cancer is not in the family other cancers are and it's all part of the same and hope it raises ALOT of money !!
ps I hope that the recovery of mastectomy goes well and you dont have a bad time in the chemo part xx