PDA

View Full Version : Jewellery

Bex1403
04-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi
Can anyone help me with whats best to start jewellery making, what toolls do you need, are there any books you'd recommend? any suppliers you think are worth a mention???

Help
Thanks
Bex1403

Lebeado
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Bex - where do you live?:)

Bex1403
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I live in Tyne & Wear, I've heared the merkets up here are great for beads and supplies.:)

beadsbydesign
08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Do you really want to get into making jewellery..... it comes with a health warning... this hobby could seriously damage the following: you will not watch any tv again, your social life will go on the back burner, Your house will become a beading work room, your family will say "do you know how to do anything except beads?", You will experiece serious lust at the mere mention of beads, you will be able to speak fluent bead, while the rest of the world stares at you with blank faces.....
Still want to bead?

you will need:
round nose pliers (for making loops)
flat nose pliers
a selection of beads (rip your old jewellery up and start again)
A great book is "the basics of bead stringing by Debbie Kanan ( all the basics you need to know)

Greatest piece of advice: experiment, there are no right and wrongs!!!!

Bex1403
12-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Jewellery making sound pretty intense, now that you mention it ;-)

I recently graduated and soon became bored and restless so it sounds like just what i need.

I've never tried it and want to give it a go without it costing too much as I didn't want to waste money if I gave it up after only a week. As for the lingo... I think I'd become pretty fluent at speaking bead - I'm a fast learner!

i don't mind thinking bead either as my work means my head is bogged with computer graphics, designing adverts, maintaining web sites, craft artwork etc. so it will be nice to think about something other than digital for a change.

I'll look out for the book, and thanks for the advice.
Bex1403

Silver Ruby
25-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Bex,

I make handmade jewellery at home and sell it online on my website and on eBay.

When I was starting to order my tools, I got carried away and ordered all types of pliers which I don't think I'll ever need. I only use about 4 or 5 tools in total. Round nose pliers, Flat nose pliers, Wire Cutters, Loop forming pliers, and Bent nose pliers.

Depending on the type of jewellery you want to make, you may need more!

I got my tools from America, but if I have one piece of advice for you is be careful if you are ordering from America as the custom charges are terrible! You may as well buy the same things from the UK even though the items are dearer the postage is way cheaper and quicker!

I love making jewellery, although there has been a few days I've sat down to string beads and I've not got up for about 5 hours!

Good Luck!

Fiona
Silver Ruby

Amberena
03-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi,

I started Jewellery making about 6 years ago and haven't looked back since. I am addicted to beaded jewellery and jewellery making, just seem to love the colours and designs available. I have a really large selection of free fact sheets for beginners available if your interested, I can get some photocopied and sent to you. Just drop me an email at info@amberena.com

We also have some good rescources on the website Amberena.Com that may be of interest to you.

Happy Jewellery Making

Amberena

Amberena.Com