PDA

View Full Version : help please

pollyp
25-08-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi, I am pollyp and I am new to this forum. I am also brand new to crafts of any sort but I have to make a long box cushion for a window seat. the measurements are approx' 69" x 19". I have no idea how to make a pattern to cut out the fabric and how do I go about sewing it together when it is cut out. I am totally useless in this respect. I would prefer to use something simple like velcro fastening rather than a zip. Can anyone help me out here?
many thanks
pollyp

Seahorse
25-08-2006, 01:17 PM
If its a rectangle it should be easy in comparison to a shaped one.
Is it a sponge seat which you can squidge into the casing?
If so then hopefully the info below will help.

Get the correct measurements.
Either buy some gridded patern paper which you can get form John Lewis or a fabric shop, or you can just use newspaper sheets sellotaped together.

Measure out the length and width exactly then add either 1cm or 1 inch to those measurements.
eg 69" goes to 70"
19"goes to 20"

Cut pattern out of the paper including the added extra length, place material on a flat surface and pin the paper pattern to it.
Cut out.You may need to purchase some proper fabric scissors, usually around 20 for a resonable pair.

Place the right sides together.Line up the edges.When sewing together sew in from the edge whichever you chose to increase it buy(1 inch or 1 centimetre).

Do the same with the sides.

Keep one edge open(ie dont sew it up fully)just enough so you can get the seating in (if its sponge)
Turn it inside out(ie so the correct decorative side will be on the outside)

Put the seating in, then hand sew the open edge.

Hope that helps. Should be easy with a sponge insert but if its not then more thinking may be needed.

SteveG
25-08-2006, 01:22 PM
My wife Helen made a seat box once - but she used quite a light and thin material which folded very flat. Then she literally folded the corners over like making the bed sheets. Then everything was pinned down with decorative tacks all the way around the seat.

I realise this is a little more permanent and fixed than your looking at but might offer an alternative approach. - If not I am sure there are some pro super-stitchers around here who can offer some advise :)

pollyp
25-08-2006, 01:33 PM
thank you so much for your advice. It will be a block of sponge so I will give it a try. If I succeed and it doesn't look too awful I might get brave and decide to put some 'buttons' through to give it a better appearance. If I do this, do I simply sew up through from a button on the top to one on the bottom at regular intervals, or is there a better way to do that.
many thanks again
pollyp

Seahorse
25-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Nope, your idea sounds good to me.
Id recomend you plan out exactly where you want them and when sewing them on start from the centre and work your way out to the edges.
As the fabric will move each time you add one, if you start from 1 end it may start to bunch up the other end.

What Im trying to say is that people that embroider wadded pieces of material(wadding placed between pieces of material, a bit like your seat)will tack stitches through thier work so the material is held down solidly adnd wont move about and bunch up while they embroider.
I think this may happen if you add buttons so just be wary of it.

pollyp
25-08-2006, 02:21 PM
thanks again. I am amazed how quickly my question has been answered and I can't thank you enough. You never know, I might even get into this craft lark and get to enjoy it! All I have to do now is try to figure out which way I thread the needle on my sewing machine. It hasn't seen the light of day for 24 years.
cheers and thanks

Seahorse
25-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Im sat here at work doing nowt, Im glad people ask questions on forums that I can help with.
I did a 2 year fashion course and I now work in an office.
Im living the dream!!!........not.

I was into fashion/costumes for half my life then in the last year I discovered craft.

Im glad my old knowledge can be of use.

Good luck and have fun!!!Let us know how you get on.

SteveG
25-08-2006, 08:19 PM
laugh
I did product design degree and here I am slaving at an architects office and hating every minute of it!