PDA

View Full Version : Not so Lush??

ElaineJ
15-04-2009, 11:34 PM
I was sent this soap as a jokey part of a Secret EB present on another forum.

Apparently Lush introduced their much acclaimed palmoilfree soaps with Greenwash in November 2007.

This no longer on their website (nor in the retro-section) and I'm not surprised - just look at it!

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=312&pictureid=4688

The packaging was undamaged and the label intact but it's covered with white spots (?oxidisation?). No BBefore date on label but it can't be more than 18months old if that!

I don't know what the fragrance was like originally - it's not too bad in it's apparently faded state although pine heavy.

Ingredients as per label:

Pine Needle Infusion (Pinus)
Propylene Glycol
Sodium Rapeseedate
Sodium Sunflowerate
Sodium Cocoate
Water (Aqua)
Perfume
Sodium Stearate
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate
Soya Flour (Glycine soja)
Oakmoss Absolute (Evernia prunastri)
Frankincense Oil (Boswellia carterii)
Glycerine
Sodium Chloride
EDTA
Tetrasodium Etidronate
*Limonene
Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides)
Chlorophyllin,
Green Glitter (Polyethylene terephthalate)
*occurs naturally in essential oils

greannancrafts
16-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Is that from their "green range?"

Looks like they could use some decent soap makers:)

Jane

cbld
16-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Oh my goodness!! :o

gigglinggoblin
16-04-2009, 08:54 AM
hmm, not one of their best is it? but then stuff from online shop is disappointing ime, i wouldnt order again after getting a load of rubbish at xmas

hdflred
16-04-2009, 10:19 AM
I can't abide LUSH the perfumes they use are just too over powering I don't think they have heard of less is more.
Even walking past the shop makes me want to vomit. Honestly!

cbld
16-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Ooh found this (wanted to see what it was MEANT to look like!!!):

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/11/greenwash_watch_6.php

sparkysdad
16-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I can't abide LUSH the perfumes they use are just too over powering I don't think they have heard of less is more.
Even walking past the shop makes me want to vomit. Honestly!

I think LUSH is a great idea.. but I agree, they seem to choose some bizarre fragrance combinations.. I got some shower gel as a gift I couldn't imagine anything less "lush" if it were dog mess! :o:confused:

Moonbeam Angel
16-04-2009, 11:18 AM
It looks like something washed up on the seashore to me!!! Ive seen better looking seaweed, which probably smells better aswell!

As said by others I can't stand the smell of the Lush shops, they are very overpowering! I did use to like Lush but got some one Christmas and thought it was ok then I bought some handmade soap from someone who occasionally comes onto the forum and now I see the difference.

ElaineJ
16-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Ooh found this (wanted to see what it was MEANT to look like!!!):

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/11/greenwash_watch_6.php

That would have been a fresh piece.

According to the regs it should have a b before date if it's not going to maintain its condition for a minimum of 30 months.

gbell
16-04-2009, 01:30 PM
well apart from the spots what about the shape?

I hate lush, horrid vile over smelly yakkiness

ElaineJ
16-04-2009, 01:46 PM
It looks like a section from a terracotta pot - odd design to choose.

carolthescot
23-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Ugh!-that looks awful ElaineJ-did it have a 'funny smell'?-I love LUSH products but that would put me off if ever I got something like what you got :o

xx Carol xx

jw universe
25-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I like some Lush products quite a lot although that one doesn't look too good. It's great that they are trying to go palm-free (at least with the soaps, some other things aren't) but I don't think they've got the formula quite right. I use TOC Aromatherapy soaps from my local market, they are palm free and they tend to feel and look a lot better, even when you've had them for ages they're great.

greannancrafts
25-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I like some Lush products quite a lot although that one doesn't look too good. It's great that they are trying to go palm-free (at least with the soaps, some other things aren't) but I don't think they've got the formula quite right. I use TOC Aromatherapy soaps from my local market, they are palm free and they tend to feel and look a lot better, even when you've had them for ages they're great.

Is there really a problem with palm oil in soaps globally?

Jane

indri
25-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Palm oil is found in loads of products - soaps, shampoos, washing powders, food.... its more a problem of the environmental destruction in the tropics, where nothing can live in the palm oil plantations.

Looks to me like maybe the saponification process may not have been completed properly and the salts have come out.

I really don't like Lush. I have to hold my breath to walk past the shops as the smell is just too strong. I was bought some lush for a present once and used it as I had it, and it stained my bath. Took me ages to clean the blue stain off the sides from the bath bomb. I think lush is like marmite. You either love it or hate it.

jw universe
25-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Is there really a problem with palm oil in soaps globally?

Jane

The problem is the unsustainable palm oil plantations (a lot of them are as far as I understand) mainly in places such as Indonesia and Borneo. The palm oil is shipped all over the world so it's in soaps, food, allsorts, but it wreaks havoc. Rainforests are cut down when other land can be used because the companies get money from the timber. Palm plantations are grown and what was left of the rainforest is totally stripped away. It can even be linked to human rights abuse, as well as all the plants and animals being destroyed :(

Many people don't realise, even if you look in ingredients it can be tricky (it can be hidden as "vegetable oil" and other things). To get more information you can look at the websites of Orangutan Foundation, Borneo Orangutan Survival UK, Sumatran Orangutan Society. I've actually gone on conservation trips and saw the plantations - I had to travel through them to get to the rainforest that was left.

Wow I wrote a lot, as you see I'm passionate about it. I hope I answered your question somewhere in all that writing!

jw universe
25-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I really don't like Lush. I have to hold my breath to walk past the shops as the smell is just too strong.
When I walk in the shop and come out again, my clothes smell like it for ages later so everyone knows where I've been, hehe :sm:

greannancrafts
25-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Palm oil globally -

Cosmetics/toiletries - 6%
Food 24%
Bio fuel 70%

Please:
Check your food ingredient listings , palm oil can be hidden in "vegetable oil" listing.

Look at buying cosmetics and toiletries with certified sustainable palm oil.

Revisit whether you want less expensive fuel.

Jane

ElaineJ
25-04-2009, 09:15 PM
The organic palm oil I use is from a sustainable source (and not in an orangutang area either).

Looks to me like maybe the saponification process may not have been completed properly and the salts have come out

It's basically a Melt'n'Pour soap with other stuff added (if you saw the soapmaking episode of the Apprentice you would see that all the Sodium xxxxates are added as individual ingredients). There's Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in there (a detergent for making the bubbles) and a couple of other additives which you find in an MP base.

indri
25-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate in there (a detergent for making the bubbles)

Oh and very annoying when you need to wash out lab glassware that it's been in as it froths out of the glassware washer if it's not rinsed really really well!!! Then it's all hands to mops!!!

greannancrafts
26-04-2009, 02:38 AM
The problem is the unsustainable palm oil plantations (a lot of them are as far as I understand) mainly in places such as Indonesia and Borneo. The palm oil is shipped all over the world so it's in soaps, food, allsorts, but it wreaks havoc. Rainforests are cut down when other land can be used because the companies get money from the timber. Palm plantations are grown and what was left of the rainforest is totally stripped away. It can even be linked to human rights abuse, as well as all the plants and animals being destroyed :(

Many people don't realise, even if you look in ingredients it can be tricky (it can be hidden as "vegetable oil" and other things). To get more information you can look at the websites of Orangutan Foundation, Borneo Orangutan Survival UK, Sumatran Orangutan Society. I've actually gone on conservation trips and saw the plantations - I had to travel through them to get to the rainforest that was left.

Wow I wrote a lot, as you see I'm passionate about it. I hope I answered your question somewhere in all that writing!

I am aware of the issues regarding Palm Oil, and I am very passionate about this issue.

But is the general public?

When one looks at what Palm Oil is used for - it is easy to see that soap uses such a relatively low amount on a global scale, less than 6% for the cosmetics industry, globally.

We use sustainable palm oil - always have done.

It is very hard to tell how much palm oil is used in food ingredient listing, as you say it can be encompassed within vegetable oil.

As I understand it, it is the Bio Boys that are creating the main problems - 70% - everyone wants cheaper fuel.

My gripe is that in all I read in the press is that it is the cosmetics industry that is causing the problem - when clearly it isn't.

But who is going to take on the real culprits?

We are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Jane