PDA

View Full Version : Help for the complete novice

Fouroaksred
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Good evening all,

I have decided for a complete life change and my aim is to produce and sell organic cosmetic products (soaps, shampoos etc) for a specific target group (who for now shall remain anonymous).

My questions are simply this - Where do I start, what do I need to do, what do I need to watch out for and am I mad?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards Fouroaksred.

Ifor-Jones
10-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Can't be much help with the answers to those questions, but I am sure there will be someone along soon who can.(welcome)

Fair Do
10-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi and welcome,

Sounds very cloak and dagger!!

I would suggest that you start by making some!!

Or have you done that bit?? :D

Fair Do

juliemarley
10-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi and (welcome)

wow you really want to make alot, biggest thing i can suggest is certification for all products, which isnt cheap im afraid.

greannancrafts
10-04-2009, 11:53 PM
(welcome) to the forum

I would do some market research first.

Jane

ElaineJ
11-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Do some googling and read the topics on this board, there's a multitude of handmade organic cosmetics makers around (even more of handmade without organic certification)

The current EU Cosmetics Directive will, in a matter of months, become a Regulation (i.e. the countries in the EU have no option but to obey!) and the costs of Safety Assessment and Certification will escalate. Then you'd have to jump through the hoops of the Soil Association to be able to officially class your products as Organic.

Such a venture is not for the fainthearted.

Bath-Bomb.Com
11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Crikey....This is a pretty enormous undertaking and you are likely to be spending the next 6 months (at least) just setting it all up...If you are planning to make the products yourself you'll need to bear in mind the following:

* Do you have somewhere to make them? You can make them in your kitchen but you will need to understand that in terms of Good Practice, the same kinds of principles applied to producing food for sale to the public will apply to bath and body products. You should reister with your local Trading Standards who may or may not call round to see your premises.

* Any cosmetic product (that is a product that is applied to the skin inc. Rinse off products such as soap) needs to be assessed as safe. You should also have MSDS sheets (Materila Safety Data Sheets) for your products.

* Every product needs a PIF (Product Information File) - detailing the ingredients, the batch code of the ingredients and other information - Google Product Information File for Cosmetics and you should find the info you need.

* There is legilsation with regard to Labelling requirements and every product you make will need to be labelled correctly with all relevant information. Such as: Contact details of the manufacturer (you); Use by date (different guidance for different durability); Full ingredients lists in order of volume as a percentage of total volume and these have to comply with the INCI regulations (INCI = International Nomenclature of Cosmetics Ingredients - usually the Latin or Chemical Names); And any Allergens (there is a list of allergens that need to be declared) in the product....oh, weight or volume (and it needs to be fairly accurate or the Trading Standards will be very cross.

* There is probably a whole host of regulations to do with producing 'Organic' products but I'm not familiar with it all.

I might of forgotten a few things but I'm sure someone will point that out...

Have you considered finding someone to wholesale to you? There are some really nice products out there in this line (try http://www.simplysoaps.com/Departments/bSkincare-and-Bathingb/Natural-Soaps.aspx) they aren't 100% organic but they use mostly organic ingredients).

I think that, unless you really think your customer base hasn't been thought of by anyone else, ever (which, in all honesty is a bit unlikely)...it'd be worth considering why no one is producing this kind of product for that particular market...

Good Luck if you do decide to go ahead and I hope some of the above is useful rather than sending you screaming for the hills :)

Jude :)

Sheabutter Cottage
17-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Good evening all,

I have decided for a complete life change and my aim is to produce and sell organic cosmetic products (soaps, shampoos etc) for a specific target group (who for now shall remain anonymous).

My questions are simply this - Where do I start, what do I need to do, what do I need to watch out for and am I mad?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards Fouroaksred.

There is nothing nicer than starting your own business and making/offering products that is appreciated.

I would advise that you start researching on what you want to use, how you want to use it and who you want to use it for.

The market might be saturated but there is always someone wanting your product.

removed10
17-04-2009, 11:46 PM
The market might be saturated but there is always someone wanting your product.

A very positive thought! Let's all keep reminding ourselves of this! :)

It is so true. It's just a matter of linking up with the right buyers.