PDA

View Full Version : First attempt!

handcrafted
06-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I got my pyro machine this morning in the post! :D I went to a local Tesco to find some wooden spoons or something to burn! But they didnt have any. They were all plastic :horse:

So i found an old one that i had and just decided to go for it! I drew a random pattern on it and went. It smelled really bad! Im thinking hte spoon had something on it :confused: Also the tip of the wire sometimes went black and if i waited a few seconds it went back to being red hot. Any idea why? It was like the heat went away and when i tried to use it it didnt burn. I just used the wire that came on the pen.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/amylowson/IMG_2670small.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/amylowson/IMG_2669small.jpg

My lovely parents bought me a plank of pine to practice on and have cut it into bits. Il get them on Thursday!

mrdavidtodd
06-04-2009, 08:37 PM
That's really good!

I found that when the hot tip hits the wood it cools down a bit. I turned the heat up to compensate but most of the time it was too hot, it was difficult finding a happy medium. Another problem i came across was that the tip would just cool down and i couldnt get it to heat up again. After a while i tried to mess with the wire tip and the screws, turned out that i was leaning too hard and also bending the wire tip and the connection with the screws had been lost, once i fixed that all was good. You dont need me to tell you to turn the power off when messing with the tip. Im currently marking on spoons at the moment too, lucky for me tho that tescos had plenty in also got a couple of rolling pins too.

Dave

ElaineJ
06-04-2009, 08:37 PM
That looks a pretty good first attempt to me - I've never tried pyrography though.

A used wooden spoon is bound to have absorbed something which could have caused the smell.

Rachel-Carlyle
06-04-2009, 08:51 PM
That's awesome for a first go..! Well done! Can't wait to see what you come up with in the future. :D

indri
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
That looks really pretty. I can't help you with the problems though. Pyrography doesn't work very well on curled paper strips!!!

Happybunny
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
That looks really great for a first attempt:mf:You clever thing!!!
Sue x

rainbowcentral
06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
That's a really pretty design :D

autumn rose
06-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Thats fantastic, I would never have guessed it to be a first attempt!:o

Your a natural! well done :D

krafty1
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
You should be really proud of that, a great first attempt.

Well done! :)

woodtattoos
06-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Great first attempt!

Your pyro tip will develop a coating of carbon as you burn so will go black. The carbon deposits can make the tip clog up but can be cleaned off with a bit of wire wool or a sharp blade when the tip cools. Even just tapping the nib lightly on a metal surface while it's on can knock the carbon off.

Good luck with the pine... it's not the best wood to work on as it can be rather sappy. Due to the bold grain/figure of the wood, it is generally more difficult to create intricate or delicate designs on pine... which is why the craft fair sign I made you was a nice bold design! ;)

Enjoy playing with your new toy!

Si.

Nader
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, so many new pyrographers on the forum!! :D
Great first attempt, like you said there might have been some kind of coating/finish added to the spoon which may have casued the smell. The majority of my work is done on completely natural sliaces of wood, which i find the most enjoyable to work on, i'd also recommend such pieces for beginners, as the suface is completely smooth and flat.

Goodluck with the pyrography to all the new pyrographers! The key is to keep at it, i know its probably been said many a time, but practice makes perfect!!

handcrafted
07-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Where do you get your wood Nadar? I have put an ad on freecycle and got a few replies but they are all unfinished wood and will need sanding down etc.

Thanks everyone! I plan to practice lots! I just need to decide what to do and also to print out some designs.

ldw
07-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Wow if that's your 1st attempt I can't wait to see what you can do with a bit of practice!

Lorna x

Nader
07-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Where do you get your wood Nader? I have put an ad on freecycle and got a few replies but they are all unfinished wood and will need sanding down etc.

Thanks everyone! I plan to practice lots! I just need to decide what to do and also to print out some designs.

I cut and sand all my wood myself. I luckily have access to fallen/cleared trees from a nearby forest owner, which i currently gain most of my wood from.

auntynet
07-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Thats a great first attempt there Amy, credit where its due.

Louise88
07-04-2009, 03:48 AM
It's lovely!

I keep thinking I'd like a go at pyrography, I suppose I'll get round to it one day!

Wilkos are great for wooden spoons and things like that :)

auntynet
07-04-2009, 03:50 AM
So are Ikea. ;)

samigail
07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
that's really fab :) very pretty

willy
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Well done.

debsjeans
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow great first attempt. I don't have a steady enough hand to do this.

Scorch
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Congratulations on a good first attempt! As it's anold spoon, it's probably soaked-in food and oil residues you're smelling as they burn.

Most supermarkets will sell you beech spatulas, and they're great to practice on. I find pine to be a right pain to work with, as it's sappy and also has those stripes of very soft then very hard grain.

You'll see some links to suppliers on my site, and some hints & tips too - maybe they'll help...

WilliamT
09-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Really good for being your first attempt

Moonbeam Angel
09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Well done that is a great first attempt. Good luck with future projects you seem to be a natural. ;)