PDA

View Full Version : recycled craft materials - what do you need?

SJD
31-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I've been collecting corks for a friend who makes cork boards for charity (see "can you help" thread) - I put a wanted post up at work and someone has recently sent me a stack of corks. She also said she doesnt tend to throw things out that could be reused so has stack of clothes, and all sorts of thing, and asked if I wanted anything else... I dont, but I wondered if you folks are collecting anything in particular for crafty purposes that I could ask her to put aside?

Let me know if you would like me to ask her for anything (she's having a clear out at easter so will be going through it all).

Thanks,
El

swirlyarts
31-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Lego boxes (the cardboard variety) and old children's books are very welcome in my house - particularly if they can't go to the charity shop due to being drawn on or torn as I reuse the bits I can!

SJD
04-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks Swirlyarts, have pmed you.

If anyone else is intersted please let me know.

Thanks,
El

nuky1982
04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I would love to know if there are any wooden stick type items (coffee stirrers, tongue depressors, lollipop sticks, wooden skewers, etc..) or wooden tea boxes? I'm tring to make some miniature furniture for a roombox and any of these would be a great help.

Thank you very much.

ElaineJ
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm trying to get together enough old pairs of denim jeans (or other denim) to make a rag hearthrug.

Trouble is I don't wear through them very quickly and by the time Jones has relegated his to work and then discarded they're almost impossible to wash really clean.

creativefae
14-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Could I put in a request for any sort of patterned fabric please? And ribbons.

Thanks, Fae

SJD
16-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I've got a massive stack of stuff in my hall atm, as we only got round to getting it out of the car last night,lol!

I will hopefully go through it tonight, make list, pm you guys that hv replied (and give you 1st dibs!) and put a list on here for anyone else that wants in.

MadamSalami
16-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi,
If there is any bedding, duvet covers, pillow case etc that are patterned I'd be interested.
thank you :)

SJD
26-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Right, sorry about the majorly slow response, taken me time to get organised enough to go through all this!

No wooden sticks or jeans I'm afraid nuky1982 and ElaineJ

creativefae - lots of different types of patterned fabric - have pmed you.

Anyone is welcome to these, so here is what I have, please let me know if you're interersted:

Wool - 3 balls of pinky peachy wool, 2 balls of rusty orange wool, 1 ball of baby blue, 1 red, 1 pale purple and white kinda stipes (sorry not sure what technical term is!)
Doll making mag - Golden Hands, Part 27 Vol 2
Flower loom - Floral decorations in 4 dimensions
Doll Patterns
Felt book - Be clever with Felt, Ruby Evans
Fabric pieces - plain patterned spotted stripped etc various sizes and colours. HUGE amount - fills a suitcase!
Also loads of bit of felt, various colours
some black cord material
Ultrasoft light iron on interfacing
very fine white mesh (think its the same stuff as what I use on my display boards to hang earrings on, but wrong colour for me!)
circular knitting pins (1 set: 5.5mm, 40cm, 1 set: 6.5mm, 60cm, 1 set: 6.5mm, 80cm)
nainsook bias binding
some filling for duvet/cushions/pillows. enough to fill up a normal supermarket bag
Sturdy carboard sleeves - I think some computer software came in them, but they're like what you'd get a box set of books in. Sturdy, but not washing machine box kind of cardboard!

Re the fabric, there is a truly huge amount, I think it would be best if someone dropped by to pick it up maybe, too much to post really...

Re collection/delivery - I dont mind posting things to people, but if you're getting free materials, I dont want to incur postage costs, esp as there is so much stuff, so am happy for people to arrange to collect from Southampton, or postage to be paid by recipient.

Everything seems to be in pretty good condition, and perfectly usable

I dont want to have this hanging around for ages, so anything I still have at the end of the month I will give to a charity shop/put on ebay, so get it now while you can!!!

I realise I've not gone into masses of detail here, so let me know if you want any more info. However, be warned - theres no way I can give info on every piece of fabric, theres way too much!

Let me know if you're interested in anything!

Thanks,
El

SJD
27-04-2009, 02:00 PM
To update the list, following has found new homes:
wool,
fabric,
felt,
knitting needles,
white mesh.

The other items on the list are still available if anyones interested....

sparkysdad
27-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to get together enough old pairs of denim jeans (or other denim) to make a rag hearthrug.

Trouble is I don't wear through them very quickly and by the time Jones has relegated his to work and then discarded they're almost impossible to wash really clean.

I have sold "old" jeans on ebay and the postage is generally 4 -5 as they wegh so much :confused:.. but a "new" pair from Asda or Tesco is 3!! You could have all my old ones, but it wouldn't be very economical to send them!

sparkysdad
27-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Could I put in a request for any sort of patterned fabric please? And ribbons.

Thanks, Fae

Fae, what sort of ribbon you after? and what quantities??

kinglake
29-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi,

I would love to know if there are any wooden stick type items (coffee stirrers, tongue depressors, lollipop sticks, wooden skewers, etc..) or wooden tea boxes? I'm tring to make some miniature furniture for a roombox and any of these would be a great help.

Thank you very much.
wow i have just looked at your site and boy do you do some great stuff!! xx jo xx