PDA

View Full Version : Question about cake slicers???

Emmaosk
27-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi, just after some advice. I usually make my cakes in two halves. But I went to Lakeland and saw a cake slicer, the picture even had a gateux on it........ Anyway, i thought ok don't be too adventurous yet..... I made a cake and sliced it in two, easy part :). But getting that half off was really tricky, I had to use 2 cake slices and it almost didn't work. My question is.... is there an easier way to lift half off? Do i need to bake the cake longer so it is harder, or get something the size of a pizza tray to lift the cake off in 1 piece????!!!!! Thank goodness i wasn't going for the thin slices of a gateux straight away..
Anyway any advice greatly appreciated :D

ElaineJ
27-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Could you hold a cutting board level with the base of the top slice and slide it onto the board?

silvermaid
27-03-2009, 08:11 PM
When my MIL made gateaux's she used to make 3 sponges and then split them each in two to make 2x 3 layered cakes.
She used to use a cake slice to lift the side up and then slid her hand between with stretched out fingers and with the other hand on top, lifted them apart.
She used to make a gorgeous honey, almond and meringue one. She made a meringue and put it on top of the uncooked sponge before it went in the oven and cooked it at the normal temperature, then used whipped cream with honey stirred in, in the centre. The meringue turned out fairly soft, but gorgeous.:sm:

Melanie

indri
27-03-2009, 09:38 PM
My mum only cuts certain cakes in half (usually just this one chocolate cake she makes:p). I think the recipe makes a more "dense" cake and so is more solid to lift off. I don't think a victoria sponge recipe would really do the trick.... but I may be wrong. Have you checked in recipe books for recipes that are actually for gateux or something that are meant to be cut in half?

Emmaosk
27-03-2009, 10:36 PM
All good ideas, thanks . I will try them all :D