PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Beginner advice for roman blinds please

LisaBart
21-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi all

First time I have used this site and really hoping someone can offer some help and advice.

I am going to attempt to make some roman blinds for my kitchen. I have never made these before. I am handy with a sewing machine so I am hoping I am capable of doing this!!!

There seem to be so many ways of making these and I am not sure where to start. I have found a couple of the internet but these can be quite confusing. There seem to be different types where either you make the casings for the rods separate and then sew them on to the lining, or you make the casings within the lining (this does seem to be the more complicated option). As a beginner, which would you recommend I do. Do you know where I could find simple basic instructions?

Hoping you can help.

Lisa

silvermaid
21-03-2009, 07:52 PM
There are quite a few sites with instructions out there
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Make-Roman-Blinds-in-10-Easy-Steps&id=1377105
seems the easiest as you are just working with one piece of lined fabric but you would have to be very accurate with the measurements. Though if it turned out too short you could always add an extra piece on the bottom.
http://www.alternative-windows.com/roman-blind.htm
has good instructions but lots of little pieces and you would have to be very careful to sew the channels on straight.
and this site seems to have a lot of info.
http://www.terrelldesigns.com/howtomakeromanshades.htm

I would probably go for the first option but it depends if the pattern would be ruined by having the channels taken out of it.
You may be able to adjust it somehow by making the channels in the lining and then sewing the two together but you would have to leave the channels open each side for the rods.

Melanie

enid
21-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Lisa,

roman blinds are quite straightforward and it is much nicer to sew the channels in the lining, gives a much better finish. You can buy tape for this as well, but its not very professional.
There is another site for soft furnishing but I cannot give it as I have not posted enough ....try googling my decozo , you will get what you are looking for there.
They are all very friendly and give advice and help to all.

Enid

Moonbeam Angel
22-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry I cant help with your question but wanted to say hello and welcome anyway (welcome)

sharon
23-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi

I'm an ex-professional curtain & blind maker so if you want to pm or email me I'll take you through your blind step by step.

Cheers

Sharon :)

lesley knight
06-04-2009, 11:03 PM
hi there, im a proffesional curtain maker and am doing a one to one lessons at a reasonable cost, i live in birmingham west midlands. Anything you would like to make i can show you how.
lesley knight

sonia
21-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Hi all

First time I have used this site and really hoping someone can offer some help and advice.

I am going to attempt to make some roman blinds for my kitchen. I have never made these before. I am handy with a sewing machine so I am hoping I am capable of doing this!!!

There seem to be so many ways of making these and I am not sure where to start. I have found a couple of the internet but these can be quite confusing. There seem to be different types where either you make the casings for the rods separate and then sew them on to the lining, or you make the casings within the lining (this does seem to be the more complicated option). As a beginner, which would you recommend I do. Do you know where I could find simple basic instructions?

Hoping you can help.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, Best to make them within the lining.I,ll try and explain.Measure you drop,devide that by either 5.4 -5.5-5.6 etc,the lower=smaller window.(5.4).The .4.5.6,=amount of pockets.The bottem pocket shud always be have the lenght than the spaces inbetween pockets.and the top pocket should be no more than 2 inc longer,otherwise they wont fold up nicely.Anyway hope you understood all that,if not let me knoe your drop and ill work it out for you.Good luuk.

sirhoot
22-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I made some for a friend a few years back. The instructions I found were equally confusing as yours seem to be so I just combined different ideas together so it made sense to me. They are still going strong.

Good luck... they are easier than they look. :)

Marc.

Dovetail
31-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I would recommend you go on a course to be shown how to measure and make them properly. I teach adults at a local college and we make Roman blinds over three or four weeks during an evening class and I run a workshop on a Saturday when one learns to make a blind sample in a day.