PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin???

Boadicea
18-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Hello, I've had a growing urge of late to learn how to make clothing, especially long, medieval dresses.

Can anyone advise me on where to begin with clothes making. I've googled it but got a little overwhelmed.:o

Where did you all begin folks? :)

Any help would be much appreciated.

All the best, Boadicea

Seahorse
19-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Hello there.

From the ages of 10(my Sindy doll years where I made many an outfit for her)til about 1 year ago i was very much into fashion design/making clothes/costumes.

I went to an art college for 2 years and did a foundation course and learned the basics.
I was chatting to a lady last year who was interested in making clothes too, she did an evening course where she made a skirt.

Try www.fashion-era.com There is a forum with friendly people, the owner of the site is very knowledgable in sewing.There will be plenty of people to help you and also it has a huge list of historical clothes.

I used to know a couple of fab costume site but as ive been into craft lately they have been lost from my head.If I think of them I will post them.

Seahorse
19-07-2006, 01:44 PM
One of them is the costumier's manifesto, sorry dont know the site address.

Boadicea
21-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Try ww.fashion-era.com.There is a forum with friendly people, the owner of the site is very knowledgable in sewing.There will be plenty of people to help you and also it has a huge list of historical clothes.

I used to know a couple of fab costume site but as ive been into craft lately they have been lost from my head.If I think of them I will post them.

Thank you Seahorse, for the information. I shall go check it out. :D

All the best, Boadicea

HollyR
31-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi thanks for the link, Seahorse!

Im veru much into dresses, corsets etc too and am just trying to find a way to lern (im learning everything at the moment!). Think my local night school does classes so im going to try and find there web site later - hopefully term will start in Sept - it will be like going back to school! ;)

Let us know how u get on, Boadicea, and pls share any tips you might find!!!;)

Seahorse
31-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Definatley keep us posted.
I found an astounding site years ago that did mediaeval/fantasy wedding sorsets but cant remember its name!!!
Ebay sell corset patterns, may be worth getting one and giving it a go.

Seahorse
31-08-2006, 10:42 AM
www.catecoles.co.uk

this is a website of a friend of mine who I went to college with, she does alot of corsets/wedding dresses.

I think there is a list of useful books on her site too.

There are 2 girls on the front page of the site, the one on the right is one of my best friends.Dont know if she knows that she is on a website.

HollyR
01-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow, what a great site - I found it fascinating looking at the designs section. When I was a kid I used to spend hours sketching designs afetr watching the clothes show on tv and rummaging thru granma's scraps box. I had a whole A4 folder full! Wonder why I ever stopped.....?:confused:

Seahorse
01-09-2006, 10:52 AM
The Clothes show!!! I remember that programme!How old are you?

I have 3 folders full, ya gotta catch up,hehe.I sometimes wonder why i stopped too but then I look at all my sparkly craft stuff and i smile.Though id never get rid of my fashion designs, if somebody offered me a design job tomorrow I could probably force myself to say yes as long as I could add swarovski stones!!

Fashion/material cutting takes up so much space.Craft doesnt take up so much space.
I can remember trying to draw out some patterns from a book and i was taking over a huge table(at work)Then finding space to lay out the material at home was a nightmare!I got in such a tizzy.
I did manage to make 5 bridesmaids dresses(for littlens) a few years back for a pals wedding.

I hope Im not putting you off.

You should definately continue with drawing down your designs,I found it so theraputic, like it was the only way to express myself, even now i have an ideas book for my craft.

Have you started making anything yet?

HollyR
01-09-2006, 11:26 AM
A true lady never gives away her age! ;) Its not to bad though, I will tell you that I was quite young when the clothes show was on - maybe early teens - so you can probably work it out! I found some of my old designs t'other day tho and they actually werent that bad, I still liked soem fothe dresses i'd drawn! Going to update and develop a few of them methinks!

I hang my head in shame that i havent started making anything eyt - am plannign a visit to a fabric shop at weekend. Might start with adapting and transforming existing clothes first, reckon thats gotta be a good (and easier!) place to start! ...hopefully!! :) And pattens quite frankly scare me at the mo! ;) :D

Seahorse
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Haha, I know what you mean about patterns, they seem to give off this superior vibe.
You can always make your own, there are books with measurements then you draw them out and adapt them to your own measurements.

Do you know about toilles?
Get some cheap material similar to the weight taht you are going to make the final garment in(people usually use muslin or calico), make a mock up version(toille) out of that then you can see if it fits.

Also to get a cast of your own figure,cover your torso in thin musliny type material, get someone to wrap brown tape around the bits that are covered, cut it up the back, take it off then you have a cast you can work from.
You may have to fix the back together againa and pad it out, I found mine caved in when I tried to use it.

I think I may be the same age as you.I was 10 in 1985, wasnt the Clothes show on around then?

Seahorse
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Boadicea-where have you gone?

HollyR
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
yes how are you getting on, Boadicea? sorry, didnt mean to take over your thread, just got a bit carried away! :)

And thanks for all the great tips, Seahorse I had heard that word before but totally forgotten it - i'm so daft probably would've launched right into making somehting unless i was having an extra bright day :rolleyes:

the cast is an amaxing idea to - will try it at the weekend (finally get to see myself how other people do and figure whether i really do "look fat in this"!)

swirlyarts
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Oooh - I used to love the clothes show. Was it just me or did Karen Franklin look great when she was pregnant with a great big coloured scarf wrapped round her bump. Didn't have the courage to try it this time round so I'll just have to try it with the next one :o:o:o:o ha ha ha ha ha. Have to hope that hubby doesn't read this post or he will have a heart attack!
Did anyone used to have that fashion wheel thing where you could 'design' outfits by turning parts of the wheel? That was great!

HollyR
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
lol - i think that was on my xmas list one year! :D