PDA

View Full Version : potpourri flowers

removed10
26-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I dried some of my beautiful giant pansies in borax a couple weeks ago, for my new potpourri endeavor, and they dried very nicely except I couldn’t get all the very fine white borax powder off, so okay, I better buy some silicon gel powder…BUT, I just took a look at the dried pansies, and they are LIMP! TOTALLY!

It’s exceedingly humid today. But wouldn’t this also happen with silicon gel? Or does it shake off more thoroughly and not attract moisture from the air to the flower. I don’t recall ever having limp “store-bought” potpourri. Do I need to purchase those little packets of silicon gel to put in my bags of potpourri?

Should i just dry the flowers in the oven like I did with orange and lime slices - they actually turned out very well.

ElaineJ
26-02-2009, 06:24 PM
There are instructions here (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/workshop/flowers.htm) for microwave drying flowers in silica gel crystals, I don't know whether it could be adapted for oven drying.

greannancrafts
26-02-2009, 06:27 PM
There are instructions here (http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/workshop/flowers.htm) for microwave drying flowers in silica gel crystals, I don't know whether it could be adapted for oven drying.

How do you do that Elaine (here I mean)?

Jane

ElaineJ
26-02-2009, 06:30 PM
How do you do that Elaine (here I mean)?

Jane

Highlight the word then select the url icon and past in the link.

removed10
26-02-2009, 06:49 PM

AH HA!! So you DO spray with something afterwards!!! You know, I could not find that out anywhere when I repeatedly googled it with various wordings...and at various potpourri sites...so that's why commercial potpourri is shinier and does not get limp in humid weather...THANKS!!! Nifty site!!!

I do so hate just googling around - you waste the day, you go numb from the bum down, you get irritable, you get snooty remarks from people you outright ask...I know I should just buy a book or go to the library....

ikki
03-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I love dried flowers so I'm defo following this up. Thanks for the info.

removed10
03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I was so excited when this morning I saw a post about potpourri/drying flowers - but alas, it's nothing new...BUT, I will pass along my limited experiences...my flowers dried beautifully in silica gel I bought (it's specifically for drying flowers) - but I did not spray them because I am trying to stay "natural." We have had THE WORST humidity, and all my dried flowers are limp. Undaunted, I continue to try...I now have a gorgeous 7 inch wide sunflower in a bowl of silica gel crystals...it is looking good...i am thinking i might spray it and frame it.

I really think that to have them look really good, I am going to have to spray them with the acrylic sealant stuff.

Also, be sure you get all the silica gel out of the petals when "done." I have found that if I simply stick the stem (short) into the silica gel (abut 3 inches worth) in the bowl, and leave the flower just barely above it, it works just as well as trying to get the flower fully immersed. COVER TIGHTLY!

Now my idea is that at markets, I will put a dried flower in the recycled paper bow I tie around my handmade washcloths and the gift sets. I thought that would be a nice touch.

I have TONS of rose buds right now, and amazingly enough, we had a marvelous shower a little while ago, so I better get out there and cut a bunch of them while they are so fresh.

I am still trying to perfect my potpourri making skills - and the cellulose (corn cob) fixative is really nice - I did not like the orris root at all. I almost think it was old and stale. Got it at a local hippie shop....usually order herbals at Mt. Rose (US) online and they're WONDERFUL.

I bought calendula petals and chamomile flowers and a few other things (Mt. Rose), because at the time I didn't have anything in the garden. I have planted chamomile, calendula, ranunculus (just a few), shasta daisies (have had them for years) and of course my roses. I have LOTS of dried bay leaves - from my own tree and also my own lavender, rosemary and sage - I cut little two inch long stems of them and dry - they look nice! I have been clipping the new growth tips from the cedar bushes that are everywhere around here - and am trying to skillfully break apart pine cones from our few pines. If I ever become adept at all this, I think it will all be very attractive! I just have to figure out how to keep it all from becoming limp in humid weather, and i think that sealing is the answer.