PDA

View Full Version : I did it. My First Craft Fair

Emmaosk
17-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I did it. My first craft fair. I just want to say thank you for everyones help on here. I was selling cakes and jams and got so much help from everyone. I did contact my Trading Standards Office and they were really helpful, they sent me the leaflet on the information that I needed to display , even more, he highlighted the actual wording I needed to use.
The craft organiser was happy, she hadn't had a cake stall for a year as her last cakers had fallen ill and stopped doing them, she now wants me to follow her around the others she does, I got advice from the other crafters too. I got good feedback on the actual cakes as well:D. I really enjoyed it. Still buzzing.
All the effort and sleepless nights were worth it.
Thanks again.
Emma

ElaineJ
17-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Well done!

(can we assume you sold out?)

Emmaosk
17-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Almost sold out. What I was really pleased about was that I had approx. 15 variety of cake and 6 variety of jam and marmalade and they were all going nothing stuck. My sister was happy that there were a couple of cakes left for her and her boys ;) if you know what I mean.
Em

greannancrafts
17-02-2009, 09:51 AM
So Please it went well for you.
We all learn from each other on forums and at craft events.
Have fun

Jane

onlyme
17-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Well done! If you ever need a 'cake taster' I'm your gal, lol!

Aviya Glass
17-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Almost sold out. What I was really pleased about was that I had approx. 15 variety of cake and 6 variety of jam and marmalade and they were all going nothing stuck. My sister was happy that there were a couple of cakes left for her and her boys ;) if you know what I mean.
Em
No family member really wants all the cakes sold!:D:D:D
Well done on such a success and for being invited to so many more fairs. I hope it goes from strength to strength for you! :):):)
It's lovely to hear a happy story in these crunch times.

claireybear
17-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Brilliant! Onwards and upwards! :D

claredorett
17-02-2009, 10:25 AM
:DCongratulations - glad you enjoyed it so much!!

Madly Creating
17-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Well done! :jump:

Ifor-Jones
17-02-2009, 12:16 PM
That's brilliant. Really glad for you and what a great start.

Tip Top
17-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Well done! What fair did you do? I see you are in Lancs and am curious!:D

Emmaosk
17-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I did Lowther Pavilion in Lytham, are you local to lancashire?

Cat'seyes
17-02-2009, 07:28 PM
WEll done you

That is great news

Moonbeam Angel
17-02-2009, 07:44 PM
EXCELLENT well done you!

Congratulations on such success and the added success of being asked to follow the organiser about.

;)

krafty1
17-02-2009, 08:27 PM
That's great, well done!

It's always a bit easier once you've got that first one under your belt.:D

autumn rose
17-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Well done, I bet your buzzin!
Looking forward to the next one now?
:D

sunrise
17-02-2009, 10:26 PM
well done this time next year you'll be a millionaire lol

Fair Do
17-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Well done you!

The good thing about selling yummy food at a craft fair ...is that not many people can resist it!!! :D

Here's to your next event!

Fair Do

Spencer's Boss
17-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Well done:)I would love to do a gingerbread stall but I am not sure of the legalities of selling food to the public, is there much involved/

enid
18-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Well done, Emma.

Glad that the help on the site was useful.
Did you have tasters out of your goods? Its always a good way of using up that little bit that was left or the cakes that did not sell, not that you had any.

I hope that you had your pricing right, don't sell yourself short, and good luck with the next one.

Enid

Tip Top
18-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I did Lowther Pavilion in Lytham, are you local to lancashire?

Ah! Who is the organiser for that (if you don't mind me asking!)

I'm close to Blackburn....:D

Emmaosk
18-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks
There isn't as many legalities as you think as I make and sell so I'm on hand - I have a hygiene certificate and used a general disclaimer that the Trading Standards Office gave me.
Craft Organiser is Creative Crafts.
And yes I did do samples - no one had heard of Bara Brith which is a spiced cinamon tea loaf, so on sunday we renamed it to spiced tea load and it started moving....
Yes still buzzing
One of the stall holders did say I should put the price up, which I may consider, but there is also the adage that I got what I was happy with and would I of put anyone off if my prices were higher??
All in all I'm booked for another. I am just sticking to local ones as I do have a sandwish shop as well, and a family....... think I should of put those the other way around in order of importance but sometimes I do think that the shop gets the majority of me....... well it gets the waking hours anyway:)

craftdancer
18-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Congratulations on your success. Craft fairs are great fun when you are selling well - not so good if they are quiet or people keep walking past your stall.

Just be careful you don't take on too much and wear yourself out trying to keep up with it all.

Linda

moni219
19-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Congrats, I love doing fairs, I make cards. I find I do better at the smaller ones.Hope you do more.Bye Moni

warin
24-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Do you need to have a Food Hygiene Certification for selling food at craft fyres or X'mas fyre.

Thanks!
Warin

enid
25-02-2009, 08:08 PM
There seems to be an awful lot of people wanting to do this, and very little direction available.
If the baking side of things is going to be ones business, then a Hygiene certificate is needed, even at a basic level...its showing 'due diligence'.
Some form of insurance will also be required.

If, however, the plan is to sell a few bits at a few Craft Fairs several times a year but not a regular selling feature, then I think its up to ones own conscience as to whether one wants to go down that road and take the risk of ....a random visit from the Trading Standards or someone with a nut allergy or someone breaking a tooth on a date stone and wanting recompense ( don't laugh..it has happened)

As has been said often before, check with those running the events and ask the local Trading Standards, thats what they are there for and they are almost always very, very helpful especially where the labels are concerned.

See the posts in the next thread.

Enid