PDA

View Full Version : Cupcake help!

TRP Fairs
08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi just wondering if anyone can help... i am looking into making cupcakes to sell at a craft fair i run but i don't know what paperwork i would need like hygiene certs etc?

Also i would be making them from home... would that be ok?

Hope someone can help x

cupcake
08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Drat, you weren't calling for my assistance:mf::sm:

Depends on the type of event, for school fete type things you don't really need anything. For a more public event you might need to have a basic food hygiene certificate. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along to help in a bit.

TRP Fairs
08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Thank you x

Caroleecrafts
08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you will find that making and selling food must be covered by a hygiene certificate, most adult education centres have the course details for this costs about 25, you may also need you premises checked where you are doing the preparation and cooking.

Moonbeam Angel
08-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I think this is a very vague area, I have a food hygiene certificate and used to make and sell cakes. I was never once asked about my cert. but I used to take it with me.

I know lots of people who make and sell cakes from home (most don't have a certificate) and they have never had a problem. Also the Womens Institute bake from home to sell.

I am sure someone will come along with all the legal do's and don'ts but you could always ask the organisers at the fairs you want to go to if they have had cake makers before and what they have required of them.

TRP Fairs
08-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Thank you for your help Moonbeam Angel, im doing it at a fair i organise and we haven't had anyone in that sells cakes yet. x

cardelle
08-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Why not talk to your local council they will give you all the details. I have regular updates for food hygiene yearly because of my job but I know that a lot are run through the council and they will tell you all the pitfalls you may encounter.

http://cardelle.blogspot.com/

greannancrafts
08-02-2009, 05:33 PM
End of the day - you sell food to a member of public - they get food poisoning
are you covered? it doesn't matter whether you are Tesco or Jo Bloggs.
Speak to TS and your EHO they are really friendly, they are paid to help you.

hth

Jane

TRP Fairs
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Thank you for everyones replys so far x

emsworth
09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Have a look on the keeping it legal section on thi page http://www.cakeapedia.co.uk/started.html

hope it helps

=)

xx

TRP Fairs
09-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Have a look on the keeping it legal section on thi page

hope it helps

=)

xx

Thank you for that... very helpful x

enid
09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi,

in theory, if you are selling your cakes once in a while, you should be OK. However, if this is going to be a regular selling item, then you are better to go down the pathways already suggested. The whole point is that you made them and you sell them so, if there are any questions re allergies etc YOU are there to answer them. The phrase used is ' due diligence' and if you can show that, there should be no problems. ....exactly how you show that can vary. Another thing as well is to hang on to your receipts, bit of a drag that one, but you could go and do a 'baking' shop and by keeping them safe you can give tracability if needed.
Oh and don't make 'dietary' claims, ie suitable for diabetics etc etc, but you can say ' made with gluten free flour' type .
It can be a bit of a minefield.

Enid

FairyAlchemy
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
opps here i go again being really late and adding my tuppence...
I both make soap and food ie; cupcakes and dinner parties when get a min to do it..
I dont know about the minimum things you need but food hygiene cert is a must also i have insurance from a craft insurer that covers my soaps and food as the second you get your food hygiene cert you are liable if some one wants to sue because of whatever reason.
The local council inspected my kitchen and gave me some great advice, i have a good deal with the insurance as i'm a trained qualified chef, but because of the red tape i cant use my workshop/garage at the moment because it keeps flooding so to cover my posteria I am not soaping or storing out there..
I know most times you dont even get a visit but at the time of mine i was concidering catering for children which is a grey area.
I have a few freinds who make cupcakes and cookies and have no certs or insurance and no problems plus the local fetes offer homebaked goodies..
Because of all the food scares across the world you can never be 100% sure that the ingredient you used was dodgy as you take it on faith like your customers from you, think of bsc and weird cheinese milk scare, if heaven forbid anything happening out of your control ( hehe gues who worries about stuff like that) if you were harmed by food would you not want helping?

so if its a few times have fun but as a business cover your butt as you never know what could happen.. good luck :p
:o
oh just reread that what a blooming ramble x

Rossa
13-02-2009, 09:20 PM
The only other thing to watch for are pets. If you have a dog or cat, that may be a no no.

I used to have a Patisserie (French cake shop) in Leeds. I once got a complaint about a cake and the EHO investigated but we were within the allowed number of bacteria in the cream. Sorry if this sounds yuck to some people but there are bacteria in everything, most are friendly, it's only when there are too many of the wrong sort that an upset tum can result.

As for cupcakes, the chances of anyone getting food poisoning from one is fairly limited and if there is any other catering on site, the person complaining would have to prove that it had come from you and not a dodgy sausage roll. Pork and meat products are the main culprits. I would certainly ask for evidence that the offending item came from you if you are challenged.

The confusion about food poisoning is similar to when a bad cold is thought to be flu . Some people think an upset tum is that whereas if you've really had it you can barely move, can't even keep water down and may need to be hospitalised if bad enough. And yes, I have, but I better not name the famous fish and chip emporium in Yorkshire, had I?

I'm taking an interest in the response to this thread cos I was thinking of making some mini cupcakes as a attraction to get people to look at my other items. So if you get any info, please post again.

sparkysdad
17-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Your local council will be able to help.

The WI and the like were I believe excluded from the Food Hygiene regulations when they were introduced/upgraded some time ago, on the basis that they were not a business.

You can make cakes and stuff to "sell" for fetes school fairs and so forth without certificates and the like, but as a commercial baker - i.e. selling for your own gain you will have to meet the basic standards for food preparation.

Domestic kitchens can be used, but you will need to show that you have at least 2 sinks (one for food prep, one for washing up - though a dishwasher is acceptable on a small scale). Your work surfaces need to be of an approved type also - no wood for example (for the same reasons wooden chopping boards are no longer permitted).

If you have pets, you have to show that they are not permitted in the food prep area also - so no dog beds, bowls, food storage and the like, and I was advised that I would have to show "clear entry and exit" facilities for the dogs to show they never used the kitchen :o(

sparkysdad
17-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi,
Oh and don't make 'dietary' claims, ie suitable for diabetics etc etc, but you can say ' made with gluten free flour' type .
It can be a bit of a minefield.

Enid

Special note to that, you can see the hoops you have to jump though on food labelling by looking at supermarket products!

Nut Free or Gluten Free is only acceptable where there are none of the allergens in the recipe, the equipment used to make them has not been used for products that contain them, and the preparation area is separate from any area where they may have been used!

Actually as a separate but related point, Cafe's Restaurants and the like are all supposed to maintain a book of ingredients for all their recipes, so they can look up anything should a customer ask.. most don't of course, and it seems not to be enforced.. but it is handy if you are selling your produce and a potential customer asks..

My partner is a coeliac but can tolerate any recipe that is gluten free so some cakes and biscuits are fine.. whereas a close friend it totally sensitised, and has to know that everything is made in a gluten free environment.

enid
18-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Just to clear any misunderstanding, the WI are a charity and as such are exempt from a lot of the Food regulations, although a lot of the members do hold Hygiene Certificates.
The other organisation that used to come under WI, is Country Markets and they definately are a business. All the producers including preserve producers are required to hold up-to-date certificates and, in some cases, they need to be registered with their Local Authority as a lot of Markets produce for Farmers Markets as well as their regular Markets. Indeed some of them sell very successfully through local farm shops and garden centres.
Registration usually has a home visit at first, but the producers are deemed to be very 'low risk' and have an excellent reputation.
Consideration is taken at the home visit to the fact that it is domestic premises and my downstairs loo was quite acceptable as a second sink as long as I did not wash up in it!
The regulations are really geared for commercial premises, so a little bit of common sense needs to be included, but if you are making money from selling to the public .....you must show 'due diligence' and accept that they are necessary.
Enid

Millsy83
18-02-2009, 09:15 AM
This is a really interesting thread, because I was thinking of making a few cakes for my next craft fair.
I'm glad that someone asked the question on here, and didn't do what i did........ About 3 months ago, I visited our local craft fair, with a view to getting a pitch next time. I bought a banana bread with my boyf off this lady and, innocently, asked "oh, do you need a food hygiene certificate to sell food at craft fairs?". I wasn't implying anything, but she seemed to take it the wrong way. As usual, this left me digging a deeper and deeper hole for myself, saying things like "oh, I'm sure your house is fine for producing food" and such like.

The worst part about the story? When I did get a pitch at the next craft fair, she was positioned opposite me!!! I'm sure she didn't remember me, but I couldn't look her in the eye all day :D