PDA

View Full Version : Mr Site/google bots

Lomond Soap
07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
How do I get google bots to crawl my website? I went here (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dashboard) and tried to verify my site with both HTML & Meta tag verification but couldn't work out where to put the code on Mr Site? Anyone know? Ta

CrikeyAphrodite
08-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't post a link yet which makes this overcomplicated, but if you go to the unofficial forum mrsiteforum.co.uk and go to the help section, there's a thread which is presently at the bottom of the second page called 'google webmaster tools - trying to verify'. The last post on this thread takes you through it step by step.

I think the website still gets crawled without verifying but it lets you use all the tools which give you some quite useful info.

Blooming Felt
08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Google crawls every couple of weeks or so, so as long as your site is live it will find it. You can submit your site to Google and all the other major search engines by going to their "submit my site" link.

CrikeyAphrodite
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Meant to add... for Mr Site you have to use the html method.
So you have to download a ftp to upload the code to Mr Site. I'm not very geeky :) but I got it to work by following that thread's instructions.
The google tools tell you where your ranking is for particular search terms, so it's worth doing. I've definitely went up since submitting and verifying.

silverjewelleryworkshop
08-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Blooming felt is right. if your site is live the bots should find it. Only thing is they get bored pretty easy and unless you make changes and ammend things regularly they don´t visit as often. You gotta keep those little babies interested!
As regards page ranking you can add a pange rank indicator to your google toolbar which will tell you the page ranking of every page you view on the net- a useful tool.

Lomond Soap
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Excellent! Thanks so much for your replies, will give it a go :D

Anne Mr Site
17-02-2009, 10:38 AM
How do I get google bots to crawl my website? I went here (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dashboard) and tried to verify my site with both HTML & Meta tag verification but couldn't work out where to put the code on Mr Site? Anyone know? Ta

hi there
I hope this information will help you verify your site with Google.
Best wishes
Mr Site Team

Mr Site Pro
Login to your account and go to Option 5: Extras > Option 6: Siteboost Tools > Option C: Search Engines > Option 2: Verify with Google. Follow the detailed and comprehensive on-screen instructions from Mr Site, clicking “Next” to move to the next set of instructions on how to do this. You will need to sign up to Google and set up a Google Webmaster account and obtain the HTML verification file. When back in your Mr Site account, enter your verification code. Note: the code provided by Google will be, E.g. google16bc640da842d980.html but you only need enter the number part (16bc640da842d980) and click on verify.

Mr Site Standard
Login to your Google Webmasters account (or create one at Google if you don’t have one). When you click on “Verify your site”, choose the option of “Upload a HTML file” as your method of verification. Google will then provide you with a code.

You then need to create a blank Notepad/Textpad file and save this, using this code (E.g. google16bc640da842d980.html) as the file name. They then need to upload this file into the wwwroot folder of their account via FTP.

If you do not already have an FTP client, please download one.

PC USERS: downlowd the free FTP client FileZilla from here: http://filezilla-project.org/ (PC)

Once you have loaded up the programme, click on Edit >> Settings >> Connection >> FTP >> Passive Mode. Make sure the external IP address is selected

To open a new FTP connection, go to File >> Site Manager >> New Site and enter the following details:

Host: ftp.yourwebsitename.com (replace yourwebsitename.com with your own domain name)
User Name: yourwebsitename.com (replace yourwebsitename.com with your own domain name)
Password: YOUR ACTIVATION CODE

Once logged on the right hand side double click the wwwroot folder and then from the left hand side drag the Google file you saved from notepad onto the right hand side to upload this.

MAC USERS: Download Cyber Duck http://cyberduck.ch/

To open a new FTP connection, click on “Open Connection” and enter the following details:

Server: ftp.yourwebsitename.com (replace yourwebsitename.com with your own domain name)
User Name: yourwebsitename.com (replace yourwebsitename.com with your own domain name)
Password: YOUR ACTIVATION CODE

When you have entered your user name etc (See below), click on the “More Options” arrow and select “Passive” from the “Connect Mode” dropdown box. When the new connection is made, drag the files from Finder into the wwwroot folder on the Mr Site server.

Once the above is done you can verify your account within Google.

If you are still having trouble or unsure you can watch this video which also goes through the same procedure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fjeVznAxeP0