PDA

View Full Version : Old cans and fimo??

Freja:)
04-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Ok, this might sound a bit dodgy but I have had an idea and I really need to find out if it will work or not....
I have thought about making a hanging mobile out of old coke / lemonade cans. I want to cut shapes out of the cans and dangle them to make the mobile.
My questions are ;
What is the best way of sealing the sharp edges?? I thought maybe fimo would be best??
Also, what are the best cutting tools for cutting the cans??
I hope this makes sense...
Thanks to anyone that might be able to help!!

Freja xx

claireybear
04-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Your idea sounds really good!

I would have thought a really sharp pair of scissors would be easiest to cut shapes with? They should cut through it ok.

And for the edges, maybe you could try filing/sanding them and then if they were still too sharp thinking about sealing them then? Im not sure what you could use, although your idea of using fimo sounds like it could work. You can also get liquid fimi, which might be good for fiddly bits?

onlyme
04-02-2009, 10:05 AM
What a good idea! I wanted to turn my old cans into mini hanging flower pots, but have never got any further than the thinking about it part, lol. I don't know how you could seal the edges but you can buy special scissors I think for cutting the tin?

04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
:) Thanks for your replies-big help!!!!!!
I work in a restaurant and we use loads of cans (they do get put in a recyle bin) but I want to put them to better use.
I'll see what I can do today and if it all works out I'll post some pictures :)

Thank you!!!

Freja xx

04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I wanted to turn my old cans into mini hanging flower pots, but have never got any further than the thinking about it part, lol

This is a great idea-you should go for it!!! ;)

onlyme
04-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Lol....I think I will! It will save me a fortune in new pots!
Please let us see the results of your idea, I'd love to see them. :)

04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Right, I'm gonna stop watching daytime TV and do it...wish me luck :D

Freja xx

onlyme
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Good Luck!!
:D

04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, I have started on the cans. I don't need to seal the edges coz they aren't sharp at all...however...I have decided to just cut out disc shapes-its very difficult to cut out other patterns. Maybe I will be able to in time. I'll make sure I post some pictures as soon as my mobile is complete :D

Freja xx

onlyme
04-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow...that was quick! How about some simple shapes of birds etc? Are you going to paint the discs or leave them 'tin' coloured?

04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I think for the time being (at least for a practise period) I'm just going to leave them plain. They are pepsi / 7up and Tango cans so one side does have a pattern.
To make other shapes I'll need better sissors. I only have a set I got with my sewing machine so might pop into town tomorrow to invest in a better pair :D
Thanks so much for all your idea's Onlyme, you really have been a major help!!!!!

Freja xx

UrbanAngelJewellery
04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I saw in a magazine they were using craft punches to stamp out shapes from cans, not sure they would be big enough for a mobile but thought I would share the idea :)

Moonbeam Angel
04-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow your idea sounds great, as they are aluminium will they rust, as I think they would be great in the garden, they would probably make a lovely tinkling sound aswell as catch the light and sparkle.

I can't wait to see your pics. Good luck :D

artistsresource
06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
You could pierce holes in them to make patterns. First, trace the outline and then pierce holes along the outline, leaving small gaps in between.

Use dentists tools that you can purchase from sculptors supply shops.

Saw this in a book somewhere - looks beautiful!

Look forward to your pics

Leona xx

06-02-2009, 06:18 PM
:D Oh wow-so many great idea's!!!! I'll definately try out piercing holes in the cans :D
I also had another idea last night-instead of using a large ring or mobile wires, I'm gonna use an old CD to dangle everything from :D:D:D I'm just waiting for some curb chains to be delivered and then I can put it all together for you to see :)
Thanks for all the idea's and positive comments-very much appreciated!!!

Freja xxxx

surfjewels
31-05-2009, 05:33 PM
sounds good, ive cut out shapes from cans, but i find them 2 sharp. it might b because i'm using them for different things, as I wanted to make jewellery, but if any one knows good ways of sortin the edges I'd love 2 kno too.