PDA

View Full Version : It's broken!

raspberrybloom
18-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I have a question about mending broken items.

I recently sold 2 charm bracelets to a lady at work.
4 times she has come in the office with either one in 2 parts.
She puts her arm out to show people and it "just fell to the floor" - 4 times.
It's not even that its a jump ring that has come apart it's the actual chain that has snapped!
I have sold no end of bracelets and I wear mine all the time and never has it "just fell to the floor"I just don't know how it has happened!
So each time, I cut all the beads off, cut a new chain and rewire it.
But how many times can I keep doing this? :confused:
I keep mending it because it looks bad on me and my jewellery. But every time she brings it back in two pieces!

Also today, a lady called who had bought a number of chip bracelet. She called and said the Jade one is broken. She said that her husband said it just broke. Its not the knot come apart (they are glued) but its broken in the middle. So the elastic (stretch magic) just broke in two?
I apologised (not sure why - sounds to me like the bracelet was pulled until its snapped) and send I would send a new one.
This lady was recommended us by another company so not only do we look bad but so does the person who recommended us.

I am worried that my jewellery is breaking all over the shop. I know it doesn't because I wear it all the time!!!

Bea
18-05-2006, 04:38 PM
It's a fact some people can be more reckless than others and put their jewellery through more ''stress'' than an ''ordinary'' person. I had read a thread about this on a forum. Stretch Magic is supposed to be the strongest of all elastics. However like you say, what can you do if it keeps happening? It certainly can't just fall off. Very puzzling.
I broke one of mine but it was because I did it too small and it stretched a bit more than it should every time I put it on.

Seahorse
18-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Maybe the number of beads on each item are too heavy for the chain/elastic.

Or sounds like the person is either fibbing or 'plays' with it and doesnt notice, causing it to weaken.

As its happening alot, are you in a position to just say one final sorry and offer the ladies money back, then youll have less stress while you sort it out.

Fran
18-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Some folk are just heavy handed with things and she sounds like one of them. It's not nice to have a work college/friend show people how the bracelet "just fell to the floor" and I sympathise with you. If you have repaired these bracelets a number of times or in effect you have remade these bracelets for her, then now is the time to say "enough is enough" You can do one of two things;

1/ Gently and politely in front of others explain that you can't just keep repairing these bracelets indefinately and that she will have to take more care of her bracelets but you'd be happy to repair at a cost depending on the damage.

2/ Offer to take the braclets back and give full refund.

I get the feeling that no matter how many times you repair, you will continue to have these bracelets returned for repair. She just sounds like that kind of person.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with reputation considering the fact you have went out your way to be more than fair. I'm sure you have sold items to other colleges and the're delighted with them. Hold your head up high and know that your work is first class.

The other with the elastic bracelets, I don't use elastic anymore, used to but not anymore. I found that the stretch magic would over stretch with continued use and when the elastic came into contact with water over time the elastic would disintergrate. Perhaps this woman caught it on something and won't own up to it.

I have a question about mending broken items.

I recently sold 2 charm bracelets to a lady at work.
4 times she has come in the office with either one in 2 parts.
She puts her arm out to show people and it "just fell to the floor" - 4 times.
It's not even that its a jump ring that has come apart it's the actual chain that has snapped!
I have sold no end of bracelets and I wear mine all the time and never has it "just fell to the floor"I just don't know how it has happened!
So each time, I cut all the beads off, cut a new chain and rewire it.
But how many times can I keep doing this? :confused:
I keep mending it because it looks bad on me and my jewellery. But every time she brings it back in two pieces!

Also today, a lady called who had bought a number of chip bracelet. She called and said the Jade one is broken. She said that her husband said it just broke. Its not the knot come apart (they are glued) but its broken in the middle. So the elastic (stretch magic) just broke in two?
I apologised (not sure why - sounds to me like the bracelet was pulled until its snapped) and send I would send a new one.
This lady was recommended us by another company so not only do we look bad but so does the person who recommended us.

I am worried that my jewellery is breaking all over the shop. I know it doesn't because I wear it all the time!!!

Seahorse
08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey, raspberry, what was the outcome of this situation?

raspberrybloom
08-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I mended the charm bracelet and I am happy to report no further problems.

Yipee