PDA

View Full Version : Liquidised Food

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 12:27 PM
As some of you may be aware, I've just had surgery on my stomach and am now on a liquid diet for at least the next six weeks, the problem being I'm already fed up with it lol.

So far all that I've really been eating is Ambrosia custard, yoghurt, soup, Farleys rusks mushed with milk and some baby food as I've no idea what tastes half decent liquidised and mixed together... I had no idea how yukky some baby foods taste yet others are surprisingly ok lol.

Anyways, I just wondered what ideas people had, either from personal experience or just from a cooking point of view, of foods that I could try.

I have quite a few restrictions on what I'm allowed to eat which also makes it more difficult.

I'm not allowed to have:

Gassy drinks
Gassy food (such as baked beans)
Red meat
Green vegetables
Salty foods
Greasy foods
Pasta or rice
White bread
Brown bread

I am allowed wholegran or wholemeal bread in small quantities as long as it has lots of butter on it. And I am allowed chicken and fish.

All iedas would be greatly appreciated as the only savoury things that I can really think of at the moment are corned beef with mash potato and gravy, or mashed potato with carrot and swede.

Thanks a lot,

Love Laura xxx

goldy1
26-01-2009, 12:33 PM
anything can be liquidized try what the rest of the house is having.

cupcake
26-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I made all my own baby food for the kids by pureeing whatever we were eating. Chicken purees pretty well if it's got lots of liquid with it. Homemade chicken soup is a staple in this house. Onion soup is nice too, if you're allowed them. Or how about making some very sloppy scrambled eggs.? How about porridge as well, that's nice too.

I'd avoid the corned beef if I were you, I would think that counts as red meat.

ElaineJ
26-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Mashed parsnips, sweet potatoes, aubergine
Chicken breast (cooked) cut into cubes will blend with gravy in a liquidiser/blender - proabably with a stick-blender also
Poach fish in seasoned milk and whiz with blender
Low-fat cream cheese and potato
Cooked/tinned tomatoes - remove skin and put through sieve to get rid of seeds

xrheax
26-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Carrots are really nice pureed! So is cherry pie (odd I know, mix it with a little custard or water if it is too thick). Parsnips are good, especially if mixed with chicken.

I pureed all my food for my children, my yongest son ate everything we did, and he loved it (hence the cherry pie) Fruit always blends down well, apples and pears can be done in big batches and frozen, and you can always mix the flavours if you get sick of them. Try smoothies too, these are lovely and will do you for breakfast and as a snack.

Big huggles x x

claireybear
26-01-2009, 01:54 PM
It is amazing what does puree well actually! Most things will work as long as they have a bit of liquid with them.

One of the things I practically lived on after my op was pureed mash potato with cheese in, now the thought of it turns my stomach! But it is good to have the cheese in it for protein, as this will help your body heal from the op.

Natural yoghurt is nice with some pureed fruit for a bit of a change from flavoured yoghurts.

But really there is no limit on what you can have, within your guidelines. I remember having a pureed roast dinner - I did the potato, sprouts, chicken etc separately with a tiny bit of gravy in each, then added more gravy on my plate and it was almost like the real thing!

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone... I'll have to try to be more adventurous lol.

Problem in this house is that hubby nearly always has pasta or rice and I'm not allowed either lol.

I'll get there though, but knowing that most things can be liquidised without tasting too bad certainly helps ;)

Pebbles
26-01-2009, 03:00 PM
soup! I love soup.

Do you like thai food? try tom kai gai - chicken and coconut soup

or laksa.....

or tom yung goong!

French onion soup - basically just use brown onions and beef stock (although you could use veg stock due to red meat ban)

Leek and potato soup

carrot and coriander soup

Pesto and potato soup

roasted veg soup

butternut squash soup

lentil soup

dahl - indian lentil dish (are you allowed lentils?)

I have recipes for all of the above in my head, pm me if you want them!

hope that helps

ElaineJ
26-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Lentils will be out (baked beans are so I would think all pulses are)

Tip Top
26-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd just go for alcohol. Its liquid and after a while you won't care what you're eating or how much pain you have ;) :D

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 05:40 PM
soup! I love soup.

Do you like thai food? try tom kai gai - chicken and coconut soup

or laksa.....

or tom yung goong!

I love soup too :)

I've no idea what any of these are but I'd love to know - and I'm thinking I'll use this 'diet' to my advantage as an opportunity to try new things ;)

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Lentils will be out (baked beans are so I would think all pulses are)

I hadn't thought about that... very good point, thanks :)

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I'd just go for alcohol. Its liquid and after a while you won't care what you're eating or how much pain you have ;) :D

Six weeks of nothing but Baileys sounds good to me lol... hubby disagrees though, spoil sport that he is ;) lol

Pebbles
26-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Right Fluffy, will write down some recipes for you tomorrow. If you google the recipe names though I am sure you will find a good link on the internet.

Fluffy Squirrel
26-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Right Fluffy, will write down some recipes for you tomorrow. If you google the recipe names though I am sure you will find a good link on the internet.

Lovely, thank you... I'll have a look and see what I can find :D