PDA

View Full Version : sliver plated = goes gold?

tribob_creations
08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
why do silver plated head pins/eye pins jump rings ect turn a yellowy gold colour? i feel bad selling pieces [of jewllery] that after so long they will just not look as good as they first did, why does this happen and how can i prevent it from happening/happening so fast

beadsbydesign
08-05-2006, 07:58 PM
The metal is tarnishing. this is caused by chemicals in the air reacting with the metal. It cannot be avoided, but you can go someway to prevent it by:
1. store the jewellery in an airtight bag.
2. avoid getting perfume and hairspray eyc on the metal.
3. You can purchase anti tarnish strips that are stored next to the jewellery and prevent it discolouring.

However, there are people who like the aged effect and achieve it super fast by hard boiling an egg. crack the shell and pop in a plastic bag with the jewelleryt item. or you can put a ripe banana next to the jewellery.

Bea
08-05-2006, 09:05 PM
or you can put a ripe banana next to the jewellery.

LOL :D :D :D :D

Seahorse
09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
I looked for a non tarnishing product the other day and found one by a company called Rustins.They sell a metal lacquer that covers copper, brass, silver and something else.

Seahorse
09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Go to www.axminster.co.uk and type in metal lacquer.

Seahorse
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Ignore my above instructions, i just did as I suggested and I got 25 pages to search through and the lacquer wasnt there.
Just go to google and type in Rustins metal lacquer.

tribob_creations
09-05-2006, 11:37 AM
thanks everyone, i think ill just start keeping them in airtight bags as soon as i finish them, ill look into that lacquer, like when ppl use clear nailvarnish on copper to stop there skin turning green.