Ads

Collapse

New to the hobby and this forum, advice needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abby
    Junior crafter
    • Jan 2009

New to the hobby and this forum, advice needed please!

Hi all, I am getting a refurbished hymus 2m electric front loading kiln on friday and I can't wait! I used to love pottery and sculpture at school and college but that was a long time ago, I would love any advice people may have about what to do first! Does anyone have one of these kilns? If so any hints for successful operation would be most welcome. Also, where is a good place to buy clay from in Southampton, and what is a good type to start with for a beginner? I will be eagerly awaiting your replies!
  • Louise88
    Mega Crafter
    • Aug 2008

Hello and
    MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

• Moonbeam Angel
      Super mega big crafter
      • Nov 2008

Hello and welcome.

Potclays is a good supplier of all things pottery related. I'm not sure where they are but all the colleges and big pottery people seem to use them. (I have been told by my pottery tutor that they also have telephone help advisors)

Good luck with the potting (I love it too)
      Diane
      Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

• Critchley
        Super Moderator
        Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
        • Jun 2008

Nice to see you. You will get lots of encouragement here so keep looking and joining in.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• two hoots
          100+ crafts club
          • Dec 2007

Potclays are based in Stoke on Trent Staffordshire they are online so you could get an idea of delivery prices, and for your first go I'd go for cheap clay then if it does go wrong you have not wasted to much money. Its the same principle in jewellrey when using wire, start with cheap copper wire then move on to silver when you have improved your technique.
          http://twohootscraft.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=home

The owls made me do it.

Comment

• Aviya Glass
            Super Big Crafter
            • Jun 2008

and well done for rediscovering your craft!
            Terry xxx
            You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
            Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

• toppotter
              100+ crafts club
              • Jan 2009

Most importantly enjoy

Hi Abby,
              I think decide what you want to make then get the appropriate materials.
              If your going to throw you don't want to be using a very coarse clay, unless you have hands of steel. If you want to hand build you probably don,t want a very fine clay which is going to be more prone to cracking.
              Have a look at our web site and give me a ring if want some advice, it cost nothing. Most importantly enjoy. Cheers Robin
              www.toppotsupplies.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X