PDA

View Full Version : Hows everyone in soap land?

gentle_giant
28-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Just thought it was about time that there was a different post in the top spot for a while so thought i would ask everyone how they are doing in soap land?

Have you got lots of craft shows booked? We have two coming up this bank holiday weekend which i am very looking forward to. We did very well last time, got to meet lots of nice new customers who bought lost of our handmade soap. We were very pleased?

Have you made much recently? we have just finished making some fantastic gardners soap with peppermint, geranium and fennel. Ideal for the enthusiastic gardener.(soon to appear on the website, worth ordering folks)

Sometimes im really glad that we make natural soap, bath bombs and bath treats all day. Its really a lot of fun to do (even better when we sell some to our great customers) Sometimes its a shame to see it shipped off but i suppose you have to let it go in order to make some more.

gentle_giant (livin' the dream in soap land)

soap queen
09-06-2009, 05:41 PM
hi gentle-giant
i am thinking that maybe there aren't many soap makers out there. I also get the inkling that the soap making frat are a little bit competitive and not too keen to advise anyone that they perceive as competitors. I know we are all SECRETIVE to the point of obsession about our recipes but do think that there is rather a lack of helpful spirit out there (or is it in here?) lol. May be absolutely wrong but defo getting that feeling, what do you think?. Apart from advising re soap regs & certification the seems to be a 'cloak of silence' in the soap world. Am I wrong? I thought that advice, experience and top tips were what this was all about- again may be wrong-let me know.:confused:
if we are all being open helpful and friendly i think that Richard at the soap kitchen is the best all round supplier, Gracefruit have the best fragrances, soap makers store could be good soon and soap school offers the best advice re certs etc!!! does any one agree, think differently, know of any other fab supplier, got an opinion???

greannancrafts
09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Leanne

No post for 3 years?????

There are loads of soapers on the forum

Everything is fine in my soap land - I would agree, Richard at the soap kitchen,
Elizabeth at Gracefruit are great for small soapers. As is Akua at Shea Butter Cottage and many others.

It pays to shop around though as prices can vary by the day!

Sales are good - soaps always sell well in recession.

Cloak and dagger? I don't think so.

Happy Soapmaking

Jane

greannancrafts
09-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Whoops - just realised this is an old thread - sorry guys:)

Jane

soap queen
09-06-2009, 07:35 PM
hi jane, just realised how old it is too- is that a forum faux pas of some sort? Never bought anything from shea cottage-kinda assumed they only have shea butter. must have another look. Am currently looking for a wholesale supplier of coconut & olive oil that sells as food therefore no VAT. Any thoughts? I think I will try macro at the weekend.
amanda

Sheabutter Cottage
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
hi jane, just realised how old it is too- is that a forum faux pas of some sort? Never bought anything from shea cottage-kinda assumed they only have shea butter. must have another look. Am currently looking for a wholesale supplier of coconut & olive oil that sells as food therefore no VAT. Any thoughts? I think I will try macro at the weekend.
amanda
LOL, we have more than shea butter:-
Aromatic coffee butter
Nutty organic argan oil
Rosey rose essential oil
Herby parsley
... just to name a few :)

Sheabutter Cottage
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Leanne

No post for 3 years?????

There are loads of soapers on the forum

Everything is fine in my soap land - I would agree, Richard at the soap kitchen,
Elizabeth at Gracefruit are great for small soapers. As is Akua at Shea Butter Cottage and many others.

It pays to shop around though as prices can vary by the day!

Sales are good - soaps always sell well in recession.

Cloak and dagger? I don't think so.

Happy Soapmaking

Jane

Hi Jane *waving*

Yes, prices can differ as well as quality.

greannancrafts
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
amanda

Until we needed more than 500 litres of olive oil at a time the big T ( I am afraid) was the cheapest.

Beware of Makro - theirs often has soya oil mixed with it (makes lousy soap)

Beware own label from supermarkets (if claiming vegan) they often have added omega 3 oils added.

Jane

soap queen
09-06-2009, 07:47 PM
LOL, we have more than shea butter:-
Aromatic coffee butter
Nutty organic argan oil
Rosey rose essential oil
Herby parsley
... just to name a few :)

sounds really good. I will be browsing tomorrow in my browsing time ( I have to limit it or I spend all day 'just looking' at things and not doin things!!). LOL. is shea butter your main thing though or did you start with just that and expaaaand to lots of other things.
amanda

greannancrafts
09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Jane *waving*

Yes, prices can differ as well as quality.

*waving back*

have you heard from our "soap stars in Nigeria?

Jane

soap queen
09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
many thanks for top tips jane, I suspect you are right about olive oil. I will let you all know how my recce goes though. It must be cheaper as a food though surely. so if the brand is the same.....
amanda

Sheabutter Cottage
09-06-2009, 07:56 PM
*waving back*

have you heard from our "soap stars in Nigeria?

I better check the blog. I was reading it the other day.

Sheabutter Cottage
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
sounds really good. I will be browsing tomorrow in my browsing time ( I have to limit it or I spend all day 'just looking' at things and not doin things!!). LOL. is shea butter your main thing though or did you start with just that and expaaaand to lots of other things.
amanda

Amanda, don't worry - in your own time :)
Yes, I am passionate about unrefined shea hence the aptly named ... cottage which "houses" 3 different brands (http://akuawood.co.uk/pages.php?pageid=10).

Handmadebath&bodydelights
10-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Hello everyone

Carol @Soaposh has some great stuff too and she has a new wholesale website with even more raw materials for use to experiment, its called the herbal soap company, i found her to be really helpfull with recipies and ideas and very honest as a guinea pig.

Jules

soap queen
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
im not so sure that guinea pigs are honest!! some look quite shifty!!;). Will check out herbal soap company-thanks for that.
when i was trying to resolve my dog soap issues ( another thread & a whole other story) i came accross this site www.gorgeousguineas.com (http://www.gorgeousguineas.com) Maybe not that relevant as i dont have one but there is obviously another world out there!
amanda

janenicola
12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
i'm new to the forum and am surprised and very pleased to find other soapers out there. so hello

Jane
Fizzology

juliemarley
13-06-2009, 01:20 AM
i'm new to the forum and am surprised and very pleased to find other soapers out there. so hello

Jane
Fizzology

Hello and (welcome)

ElaineJ
15-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Contact Lefktro (http://www.lefktro.co.uk/) for olive oil or pomace - they did have a comprehensive website with prices but now it's just a contact page so you'd have to phone (recommended) or email.