PDA

View Full Version : White clay for throwing

Lizard Potter
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi there. I wonder if anyone could recommend a white earthenware clay for throwing. I've been using Spencroft SWE white earthenware clay for the last year, but though I'm getting better with it, it's really difficult to throw with - either too hard or virtually dissolving! Using terracotta is so much easier, but I love the look of white pottery!

snowgoose
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
erm may i ask what your trying to throw it at?

Couldnt you just colour the terracotta with ink or something before it goes hard :mf:

AnnieAnna
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Lizard,
if noone gives you a sensible answer can I send you to my two potter friends?
Say Annie the Pedlar sent you (or they'll be confused). Jack is just getting to grips with this computering thing so if he doesn't answer your email try writing or phoning (he is quite old).
OK.... so go to www.tudormarket.co.uk (http://www.tudormarket.co.uk) and click on Annotspots tent and talk to her, and or Jacke Green(e)'s tent to talk to him, and there is also Jim the Pot at Trinity Potterys whom I don't know but his wife Emma knows me. He's got a tent on there too.
They are all experts and very approachable and will talk clay till the cows come home.
AnnieAnna

Moonbeam Angel
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
At college we are using studio white for throwing but I cant remember who makes it, if you can hang on til Thursday I will have a look and get back to you.

btw hello and welcome to the forum

two hoots
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Check out Potclays on line, they should have something for you. They give a short explanation of what each of their clays can be used for. Not sure where you are but they are based in Stoke-on-Trent.

toppotter
29-01-2009, 07:58 PM
If you find your white earthenware going when throwing try making up your throwing balls the day before, wrap in plastic and use the next day. regards Robin