PDA

View Full Version : supplies help please

samigail
08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
HI

I'd like to try a find supplies of wood suitable for house signs - can anyone help.
I really want to make my brother a fantastic birthday present and he's been on about how his house sign is so rubbish - I thought I could replace it for him :)

and another couple of questions
What do you varnish it with so it's weather proof, and whats the best way of attaching it - is it drilled holes and long screws into the brickwork?

Any help gratefully received, it's his birthday on 19th this month so by time I source the wood, I might be writing him an IOU! lol

Many thanks
Fiona

JABBY
09-01-2009, 12:11 AM
hi Fiona Have a look at the following web site.

www.dalescraft.com They do a range of plaques in vsrying shapes and sizes.
I can personally recommend the sycamore blanks, as I have purchased some of these, and they are very good quality, and nice to work with.

cheers
JOHN
www.jbwoodcraft.co.uk

samigail
09-01-2009, 11:30 AM
OOoooooo yes, many thanks
I like dalescraft. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've had a look - I quite like some of the chunkier plaques on there.
However, I had in mind the plaques that looked like a piece of sawed off tree trunk (I don't know how else to describe it) If I can't find anything like that then I'll use dalescraft :)

I was just looking at the craft projects thread - the plaques I was trying to describe are the ones like nader is using - only I won't be doing anything nearly as good as his plaques - just the house number for my brother! lol - bless - he'll still be impressed with my efforts (though quite measly compared to the other talents on here!)

Scorch
30-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Heya

If you're still looking, I think that Nader sells them.

And I think that The Big Wood do, too...

samigail
30-01-2009, 09:44 PM
many thanks
I did find some to work with.
here's my finished attempts - the one I made for my brother is at the beginning of the thread, then someone commissioned one!! which is near the end of the thread.
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21597

Moonbeam Angel
31-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Heya

If you're still looking, I think that Nader sells them.

And I think that The Big Wood do, too...

Yes ask Nader, I have just placed an order with him, although he did tell me that he has just dislocated his shoulder (ouch) !