PDA

View Full Version : Wire Working

Linda60
07-01-2009, 12:13 AM
Is anybody aware of any classes in the South East that are not too expensive, I have found one fairly close to me but unfortunately the cost is too high for me at the moment. I have looked at a few on line tutorials which look OK but would prefer to interact on a personal level and be able to ask questions.

I am sure that some of you out there will be able to help.

Thanks
Linda
:):):):):)

cupcake
07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Linda, not sure whereabouts in Kent you are, or what you consider to be too expensive. Hotcourses is very useful and I found this (http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/jewellery-courses-kent-adult-education-service/16180339/0/67758/jewellery/any/any/county/kent/all/list.htm) on a quick search. Also, I don't know if you have any bead shops near you, but they often run workshops so it might be worth enquiring. HTH.

Linda60
07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks for that, I am in Edenbridge which is very close to Sevenoaks and on the borders of Surrey and Sussex so I could try those areas too. The Wire Wrapping Course that I was looking at was about a hundred and fifty pounds plus for a day course (included lunch) but a cup a soup will do!!!!, I know that it's not too expensive when you consider someone has trained to do this and supplied all the matierals but I am just not in a position to pay that much.

I will look into it a bit deeper but the one you have suggested looks a bit more affordable.

Will find out the course criteria.

Thanks again.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Linda
:):):):):):sleep:

Aviya Glass
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
If you find something Linda, please let me know I would love to learn wire wrapping!
I have books, watched tutorials etc but to be a bit more creative I would also like to interact with a teacher!
The ones I found in Greenwich etc do wire wrapping as part of silver smithing which is an area I don't want to go into - although am v keen to learn pmc!

Linda60
07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
If you find something Linda, please let me know I would love to learn wire wrapping!
I have books, watched tutorials etc but to be a bit more creative I would also like to interact with a teacher!
The ones I found in Greenwich etc do wire wrapping as part of silver smithing which is an area I don't want to go into - although am v keen to learn pmc!

Hi Terry,

Where abouts in Kent are you from??

I have found a course in Beckenham in Kent they are sending me through some details, will let you know when it comes what it is like and what is involved.

I am so eager to get going on some bits, I have practiced a bit of wire wrapping and made a few Christmas pressies using wire but would like to learn properly.

Linda
:):):):):)

Aviya Glass
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM
I am in Bexley, but have car will travel. Beckenham is not too far away. :D

Linda60
08-01-2009, 02:02 AM
There is a fantastic workshop but it is in the States (bit too far to travel). Will keep in touch and let you know when the info. arrives and if I come across anything else. Meantime any more suggestions from other crafters greatly welcomed.

Linda

goldy1
08-01-2009, 02:11 AM
I find this site really helpful. http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-making-skills.htm

urbtaf
08-01-2009, 08:49 PM
The Preston Router / wire worker, site in usa has some good free vids on it, some quite good tips if you watch closely. Dont know the link but I bet Goldy1 can find it:D

goldy1
08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Yawn that was too easy . Good site though. http://wire-sculpture.com/store/pages/How_to_Make_Jewelry_Video_On_Demand.html

auntynet
08-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Can't believe you fell for that Gill! :o

goldy1
08-01-2009, 10:18 PM
i was being facetious. :D

Linda60
08-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi Linda, not sure whereabouts in Kent you are, or what you consider to be too expensive. Hotcourses is very useful and I found this (http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/jewellery-courses-kent-adult-education-service/16180339/0/67758/jewellery/any/any/county/kent/all/list.htm) on a quick search. Also, I don't know if you have any bead shops near you, but they often run workshops so it might be worth enquiring. HTH.

Thanks for that, I have had a look in more detail tonight, I am going to give them a ring tomorrow as there are a number of course which may be suitable and reasonably priced as well.

Linda60
08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Yawn that was too easy . Good site though. http://wire-sculpture.com/store/pages/How_to_Make_Jewelry_Video_On_Demand.html

Thanks for this link, some nice pieces here, will watch these at the weekend.

Linda60
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM

I have just had a couple of course details sent through to me from Kent Adult Education, they are really reasonable one is 22 from 10-6 and the other is 23 on a sat from 10-6.

Thank you so much for this link would recommend that others who are interested in classes give it a go.

Linda

Linda60
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM

Hi Terry,

The details have come through for the Beckenham class, looks OK but I have found a couple of others (details of which are on the other thread I initiated and are in Tunbridge Wells, they are both for 6 hours, one is 22 and one is 23).

Going to contact them on Monday to see if there is an alternative date as one is on the Fri and the other is the next day and wanted to have a bit of space in between).

If you are interested in either of these or want full details PM me with your email address and I will forward you the course details.

Anyone else interested let me know also.

Linda