PDA

View Full Version : Friends and family Discount?

snowgoose
04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Is it wise to allow friends and family to purchase items you are selling for less than the general public.

I am thinking about having a discount of maybe 20% for F&F.

Does anyone else have a discount for F&F?,
if so what is the discount?

Thanks

Jake

xrheax
04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I do a discount for family - none of my friends have ever bought anything from me!
My discount for family would be about 10-15%. My discount for my sisters is very high, I tend to just get them to buy the stuff they need and I make them for nothing. Terrible really, but I do love them very much! They help me out for nothing and used to lend me their printer for work when mine broke

Louise88
04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I don't do a discount as such, but sometimes I let them make up the price, or I knock a couple of quid off :)

krafty1
04-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't charge my immediate family for anything I make and there's a couple of close friends whom I wouldn't charge, mainly because they are all very generous to my family but then again they never ask me for many things so it doesn't add up to a lot.

I do charge other friends though and neighbours, usually give them around 10/20 % discount

Raffles Bizarre
04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
yeah when a friend does want to buy something once in a blue moon i jsut make up a price, normally it's like 50% cheaper, only because it rarely happens and they're all so supportive etc.

but if you're making it a permanent thing for f+f 20% does sound about right :)
x

sunrise
04-01-2009, 11:43 PM
we sell the majority of our cards for 1.25 we only charge out Mums 1 , first of all they flatly refused to accept our discount as we've had a bit of a tough year financially but I insisted and now they don't argue, they do a lot for us which is nice but I think they like to think that even with the discount they are helping us out financially and they're happy with that

urbtaf
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Dont make freinds and have disowned the family, saving a fortune;)

elzi
05-01-2009, 01:12 AM
i do a discount for all kinds of people,
family,
friends,
fellow stall holders,
people who are nice about my work,
people who haggle so long and so much i just want them to go away....
but then i might be a little soft....i try to make sure i'm still making a profit!

generally i wouldn't work out a percentage i would just round stuff down to the nearest round number if that makes sense!

cupcake
05-01-2009, 01:22 AM
I do charge friends and family less, I don't know the exact difference but around 20% sounds about right with a little rounding here and there as I like to charge to an exact or 50p value. So for a pair of earrings I would sell for 6.50 to a stranger I would sell for either 5 or 5.50 to f&f depending on the person.

I keep a database of info on each item I make, calculating its materials costs and adding labour then work out a selling price and a discount price then. So if anyone wants to buy that item, I just look it up as the thinking has already been done for me. I find that makes it easier.

auntynet
05-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Dont make freinds and have disowned the family, saving a fortune;)

He doesn't offer discounts to anyone else either . . . . . . he always asks me decided on discounts! :D

And everything Elzi says and does, so do I. :D

Seriously though - my friends and family aren't particularly supportive - not that they're nasty, just not into the kind of things I make. However, one of my friends asked me to make her some pearl & swarovksi jewellery and I only charged her the cost of the materials - but it was almost 50 worth! :o I also made a gorgeous swarovski bracelet for my sister but rather than charge her for it, I decided to give it to her for her christmas present as she was going to buy one from a craft fair and was prepared to pay 30 for it.

If one of my friends buys from the stall, I try to do a quick calculation of what it cost me and then charge them a bit more than the cost price. I've only had to work out these cost for Goldy so far and she's of the opinion that I don't charge enough anyway.

goldy1
05-01-2009, 01:42 AM
No you don't Charge enough.
I am willing to pay your full price and you know me I always hunt out the bargains. It is all appreciated I assure you. :D

snowgoose
05-01-2009, 01:53 AM
thanks everyone, iv decided 20% will be enough discount :mf:

now i just need to work out what everything costs me :o gonna be a long day, when i get round to it :behindsofa:

matt.chatterley
05-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Is it wise to allow friends and family to purchase items you are selling for less than the general public.

I am thinking about having a discount of maybe 20% for F&F.

Does anyone else have a discount for F&F?,
if so what is the discount?

Thanks

Jake

Not crafts - but we do a F/F type discount, although we don't tell people about it in advance!

Crafts - Mum/Mark (Jersey Craft Shop) normally knock a little bit off, if someone is buying something big - although more often this sort of 'favour' approach manifests as doing a bit of extra special wrapping up to make a gift someone is buying look even more special, etc!

Pagan
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't charge family but I do a mates rate for close friends :D

Magenta5
05-01-2009, 08:48 PM
My colleagues have been really supportive so I give them 20% off. I told my friend if her mum came to a fair I was at she could have a discount and she came and bought about 8 pieces of jewellery. I get sales and they get a bargain. Happy people all round!