PDA

View Full Version : Preserves and the like..

staceyjlew
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I got my preserve making stuff for Christmas and just finished my first batch of apple, orange and cider jelly - absolutely yummy!!!!

Made far too much though, so will half the quantity of the next recipe :) - jam next I think, apricot maybe?

Anyone have any good Jam recipies?

Stacey

Ifor-Jones
01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Have you got the recipe for the jelly - sounds yummy.

staceyjlew
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I have indeed - here goes:

This makes 3lb jelly!!
1.3kg/3lb cooking apples - coarsely chopped with skins and cores intact (how easy is that!!)
4 oranges (chopped roughly - with pips, pith, rind etc intact)
4 whole cloves
2 pints sweet cider (I used woodpecker)
1 pint cold water
800g preserving sugar (or granulated) (I had to use more than this though as had loads of juice!)

chop apples, oranges and put into preserving pan with cloves, cider and enough water to barely cover fruit.
bring to boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
pour fruit and juices into a jelly bag suspended over a large non metallic bowl - leave to drain overnight.
measure the juice into the clean preserving pan adding 1lb/450g sugar for every 1pint juice.
heat mixture gently stirring until sugar dissolved and then boil rappidly for about 10 mins until setting point is reached (105C/220F).
remove from heat and skim any skum off surface, then pour immediately into warmed jars (it sets quickly)

It lasts for a year and 3 months once opened!

It is sooo yummy, lovely with cheese and cold meats :)

Can't wait to make loads more stuff - Not good for the diet though!

Ifor-Jones
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks - that looks good.

Recycled Bag Lady
01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Oooh, that looks delicious! One for next year (unless my friend has some windfall apples left!)
I don't do jams myself, but love making jellies from foraged fruit! Another good one to try is apple and rosehip jelly - it has a beautiful flavour! There is also one for rosehip jam but I haven't tried that one.

Apple and Rosehip Jam from Charlotte Popescu's "Fruits of the Hedgerow and unusual garden fruits"

- makes about 1.35kg/3lbs -

1kg roships
1.2 litres water
1kg apples, peeled, cored and chopped
900g granulated sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice

Boil the rosehips in the water, crushing them against the sides of the pan until soft. Strain through muslin overnight. Cook the apples in a small amount of water (just enough to stop them burning) until soft. Add the rosehip juice, the granulated sugar and the lemon juice and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Boil for about 15-20 minutes until setting point is reached. Transfer to warmed, sterilised jars and seal.

In case you fancy a jelly instead:-

Apple and Rosehip Jelly

- makes about 1.5kg or just over 3lbs jelly -

1.35kg cooking apples
675g rosehips
granulated sugar

Chop the apples without peeling or coring and put into a large preserving pan with the rosehips. Just cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer, crushing the rosehips against the sides of the pan to release the flesh until the apples are soft. Strain the fruit through a muslin bag overnight. Measure the liquid and for every 600ml of liquid, add 450g sugar. Over the heat, allow the sugar to dissolve and then bring to a rapid boil. Boil until setting point is reached. This could take up to 25 minutes. Pour into warmed, sterilised jars and seal.

tinks
01-01-2009, 11:51 PM
i have a file that i brought from ebay with 120 different recipes, eveything you can think of even lite ones
if you pm me i will happily send it to you

tracy

craftdancer
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
800g preserving sugar (or granulated) (I had to use more than this though as had loads of juice!)

Did you use the preserving sugar or the granulated sugar?

The reason I ask is that preserving sugar has added pectin (the enzyme that aids the setting process).

If you want to use granulated sugar then when you boil up the fruits add a roughly chopped lemon (skin, pips and all) to the mixture. Lemons contain high levels of natural pectin in the skin and pips and this will aid the setting process.

I have a freezer full of apple juice ready to use so I may well have a go at your recipe. thanks for posting it.

Happy preserving
Linda

staceyjlew
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the rosehip recipe - where is the best place to get them though?

I used preserving sugar, I couldn't believe how huge it was!!

If anyone makes it, let me know what you think :)

Moonbeam Angel
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
good gracious my mouth is watering now. I love jams!!!

I wouldnt dare make any though.

I bought one from a craft fair ages ago, strawberry and kiwi and it was absolutely gorgeous but my favourite (and not very often found) has got to be pineapple.

Is there a reason why no-one makes this?????

craftdancer
04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Is there a reason why no-one makes this?????

I understand that it is an absolute pig to get it to set, because pineapple juice contains an enzyme that breaks down the setting action of jellies etc. Sorry, I haven't had time to research all the scientific whys and wherefores, but I did find a thread on MSE about it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=163613&highlight=jam

I'm sure there is much more information around if you search for "pineapple jam" + "setting"

Linda

Moonbeam Angel
04-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I understand that it is an absolute pig to get it to set, because pineapple juice contains an enzyme that breaks down the setting action of jellies etc. Sorry, I haven't had time to research all the scientific whys and wherefores, but I did find a thread on MSE about it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=163613&highlight=jam

I'm sure there is much more information around if you search for "pineapple jam" + "setting"

Linda
Thanks for that, I thought there must be a reason because when I have asked jam makers about it they pull funny faces at me lol

swirlyarts
05-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I make jam in the microwave - slightly cheating I know but it does make fab jam in about 15 mins! Here's a link to how I do it http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com/2008/08/easiest-way-to-make-jam-ever.html

staceyjlew
05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
What a great way to make Jam!! Don't tell my mothe in law though, she just forked out for all the traditional jam making goodies for me for Xmas!! Lol

Stacey

sparkysdad
17-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Melon Pinapple and papaya all have strong enzymes in them that deter setting - tropical jellies can be equally difficult to make for the same reasons..

Pineapple is very strong though, which is why if you make kebabs with pinapple on, they say you shouldn't tenderise the meat beforehand.

Emmaosk
17-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I made Nigellas Chilli jam, that was really easy to do, just 300g of red chillies (if you like it hot use all red chillies , if not so hot use half red chillies half red pepper) 1kg jam sugar and 600ml of cider vinegar ( i did cheat as the bottles of cider vinegar tend to be 500ml i just topped up with water.
Desolve the sugar in the vinegar, cut and de seed peppers and chillies, whizz in blender until quite small flecks and add to liquid when sugar dissolved. Boil for approx 10 minutes and you're ready, this makes about 6 small jars of chilli jam and lasts for a year, a month once opened. I loved it on cheese, great on meats, and to be perfectly honest the first batch i made i didn't perfect the setting process and promptly called it dipping sauce ;) it did taste more like sweet and sour first time round, but both were lovely and no one has hated it yet :)
Em