PDA

View Full Version : I got a sewing machine for christmas!

Buffy
27-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I am so very chuffed :mf:

I have had loads of ideas and thoughts on bags and aprons with crochet trims etc.

But it has been so long since I have sewn! I don't know where to start now! :o

I am scrummaging around for the kids old clothes and any bits of material I can salvage, so far I have tried the stitches out and done a small piece of appliqué but I have loads to learn with the serious hems (blind hem) etc.

Does anyone have any practical advice on where to start and how do I obtain material for playing with? charity shops? old clothes? do people sell bundles cheaply?

I am too excited and overwhelmed to think straight! :mf:

Critchley
27-12-2008, 04:58 PM
You are obviously very pleased with your gift. You forgot to tell us what machine it is. (Make). Yes, Charity shops are a good start for practice pieces. Most fabric shops have a 'cheap box' somewhere in the shop. Pitty you don't live nearer, I have a shed full of bits and bobs, you could have had a sortie in there. lol.
Happy sewing.

pollyanna-patchwork
27-12-2008, 05:48 PM
WooHoo! Good For you.

I sell a range of 100% cotton fabrics that are perfect for bag making and patchwork/ quilting/ applique projects. Most of my fabrics are priced at £5 per metre with Free Delivery on all orders.

Other than that, when I started sewing again a few years ago I made loads of cushions (an easy way of practising putting zips in and trying out my overlocking stitches and different seams) and I bought my fabrics from Dunelm Mill. (This was before I started my business). Dunelm often have a selection of seconds fabrics or roll ends for about £1.99 a metre. I found that these were great for practising getting to grips with my new machine. Just make sure that you get the right needles for the fabrics you use as this makes a massive difference.

Anyway, Happy Sewing and if you get stuck with anything I am sure there are loads of people on here that will be only too happy help.

Alison

Steffi
27-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Lucky girl! Most fabric shops have a remnant box that have reduced fabrics, my favourite is Laura Ashley, the fabric remnants are usually 1/2 price there. There are lots of free tutorials on blogs that often have great instructions with photos to help if you get stuck. The best way to learn with sewing is just to experiment and have fun. Happy Sewing:D

Buffy
27-12-2008, 09:00 PM
oh thanks x x
being in london i find it harder i think there are less shops around for the creative mind, i do adore laura ashley but wouldn't dare walk in with my inabilities at the moment lol

I must go add to my blog list! (not to mention adding an entry *Blush*)

Cheers steffi x x

I am sorry it is a janome machine J1012 Link here (http://www.johnlewis.com/230472538/Product.aspx)

Oh critchley that so sweet lol I would be there a rummaging now if I could! x x

Been trying the blind hem and guess practise makes perfect hehe it works partly but i seem to over sew the side at times,

However, my unpicking skills are improving remarkably hehe

My first project is a knitting bag for my daughter, with sides and front pockets. Slightly scared I aimed a tad too high :?

I will have a look see thanks alison x x

Pagan
27-12-2008, 09:04 PM
That's the same one I got my daughter for Christmas Buffy :D She was well pleased with it too

Buffy
27-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Aw bet she's flying much better than I, with hers! :D
She has a good mentor ;)

x x x x

Pagan
27-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Aw bet she's flying much better than I, with hers! :D
She has a good mentor ;)

x x x x

me???? ROFL.........I can barely sew a button on. :D

Recycled Bag Lady
27-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Woo, great news Buffy! I got a new Janome as well - can't wait for christmas to be over now so I can take over the dining room again and get to work on it!! ;)

I agree with the others - try a few simple projects to start with, look on line for free patterns and tutorials. Charity shops are great for fabric - but some are cheaper than others (ask if they have any curtains/clothes that they are not able to put out on the rails), also curtain shops are a great source of offcut curtain fabric, they are often desperate to get rid, for silly prices. Also try freecycle!

Have fun! :D

Critchley
27-12-2008, 11:21 PM
However, my unpicking skills are improving remarkably hehe

I think thats called 'de-sewing'

purplemac
28-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Jumble sales can be good! I've found loads of goodies at my local one. And I look out for interesting fabrics too, I've bought quite a few size 8 skirts (I'm a healthy 14) just for the material, to use in applique! And I pick up good cotton sheets too.

Happy sewing! Debbie

Buffy
28-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Aw lol Pagan :D but your creative eye will come in very useful ;)

Me too recycled, hehe :p thanks x x am interested in what I can come up with! lol

Oh that sounds much posher critchley lol ty :)

I will never look at clothes with the same eye Debbie! lol I will just be eying up the patterns rather than the styles hehe