PDA

View Full Version : Tiffin Cake Recipe

Selina
26-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Following on from the other thread about Tiffin Cake I got the recipe from my client who makes it for us girls at the salon.

8oz digestives
4oz margarine
2oz sugar
1 dessert spoon cocoa
1 egg
2oz sultanas
cherries and walnuts (or any others) to taste chopped

Crumble biscuits, add sultanas and cocoa, melt margarine and sugar. Cool. Beat in egg, Pour over all other ingredients and mix. Put into greased tin and level off. Refridgerate 2 - 3 hours. Fruit can be soaked in sherry, rum etc overnight if wished before making!!

Ifor-Jones
26-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I knew this new section was going to make me hungry!! Just off to note that one down. Yummy

handcrafted
26-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Ooh i am going to make tiffen squares for people for christmas. My sister is a sultana fobe so im going to find a brownie recipe for her too!

Critchley
12-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Love the idea of fruit soaked in alcohol. Gonna try that one.

alibear
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
not keen on the raw egg part!
The tiffin i make is a very similar recipe to that but with no egg.

GLASS EYE
12-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I've got everyone at work hooked on tiffin. My recipe a bit different.
200g digestive biscuits - I put in 250g last time to make it crunchier.
100g butter
3 tbsp syrup
2 tbsp cocoa
50g raisens

Melt butter and syrup in pan. Add cocoa and raisens. Stir in crushed biscuits (leave a few good size crunchy bits). Add a few chopped or mini marshmellows if you want. Line flat tin with baking sheet or tinfoil (whatever is handy). Press down the mixture into the tin. Leave to set in fridge. Top with melted white or dark chocolate. Both are very good.

I like the idea of alcohol as well. The marshmellows make it chewy. I've made four lots in the past two weeks for work. First lot went in 20 mins.

Alexis121
16-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Tiffin Cake
A chocolate cake with a difference, moist and sumptuous, why not try out your own version of the tiffin cake on your friends and family. Try adding alternative chopped dried fruit or a drop of liqueur to make your tiffin different and special!!

Ingredients
125g / 4oz butter, plus extra to grease
50g / 2oz raisins
75g / 3oz pitted dates, chopped
4 tablespoons brandy
200g / 7oz good quality plain chocolate, broken in pieces
3 tablespoons golden syrup
250g / 9oz digestive biscuits, roughly crushed
Grated zest of large orange
Topping:
150g / 5oz good quality plain chocolate, broken in pieces
25g / 1oz butter

Method

Lightly grease and base line a 20cm / 8 inch round shallow cake tin, about 4cm / 1 inch deep

Put the raisins and dates into a bowl. Pour on the brandy and leave to soak for 30 minutes.

Melt the chocolate with the butter and golden syrup in a heavy based pan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat.

Add the crushed biscuits, orange zest, raisins and dates, together with any remaining brandy.

Mix well, pour into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Allow to cool, then chill for 1 hour.

For the topping, melt the chocolate with the butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth, allow to cool, then pour over the biscuit layer.

Chill in the fridge overnight. Cut into wedges to serve.