PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present......

xrheax
20-11-2008, 10:20 PM
I aren't sure if this is going in the right place but it is about christmas.....;)

This year, for my mum, I am making her 365 envelopes and adding whatever I can inside. So far I have quotations about mums, daughters and families. I also have a few jokes and some stories I remember from when I was younger.
I also thought I could add some handmade cards for events throughout the year (her birthday for example) and a couple of photos.
Does anyone else have any other ideas....small gifts or anything really that I can add? I would really appreciate any ideas. I need to get a move on seeing as time is fast running out and I only have about 100 envelopes filled so far! I would prefer to make as much as I can, so any small things I can craft would be great (except jewellery, I cannot make this to save myself :mf:)

I know there is one date that I aren't looking forward to doing. My mum had a baby before me, and he died of cot death before I was born. Any advice on what I could include for that day would be gratefully recieved....I thought maybe a poem or just 'I love you'

:) Thanks peoples

janetdc
20-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Ok here goes:- seeds, bookmark, recipe, hhmm stuck now!:pc:

auntynet
20-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Janet beat me - I was gonna say seeds. You can use several different kinds cos they can be sown at different times of the year.

You could also add your own "gift vouchers" such as a promise to clean the windows for her or do an hours ironing or have a day out somewhere or lunch for just the 2 of you

xrheax
20-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Ohhh, such cool ideas! I knew I was right asking this here!

Louise88
20-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Oh what a lovely idea!

It's my mum's funeral tomorrow so we are racking our brains to think of things to add to the coffin, so far we have-
A lock of each of our hair
A single rose
Rosary beads
A rock from Swaledale (her favourite place)
We sprayed her perfume
My sister added something she made her when younger
A letter that her best friend wrote her
A job list that she wrote for my dad, all ticked off!
(I found our baby teeth in her draw, but I thought that was going too far!)

Have you got any special photos, letters, birthday cards?
Have you seen those gift things that oxfam do? Where you buy somebody a goat, or you could sponsor an animal.
A postcard of her favourite place.

:)

auntynet
20-11-2008, 11:04 PM
How about a few pieces of make up - a lipstick, a nail varnish etc. You could go to Boots and try and blag some perfume samples too.

Does she wear glasses - you could make a spec chain yourself.

How about including a few recipes of things for her to bake.

Critchley
20-11-2008, 11:05 PM
What a lovely idea. You have got to go some though to fill all those envelopes. Poems are a good idea. Perhaps the special day you mention could be called 'Memory Day' and take her for a trip to a nice garden centre for a plant. I'm clean out of other ideas. If I think of anything I'll add another post.

Autumn Faerie
21-11-2008, 09:35 AM
What a wonderful idea, struggling to add anything but you could make some lovely bookmarks. An easy jewellery item to make is a charm bracelet, you could put the chain in one envelope and then buy some charms and add them throughout the year. :)

Autumn Faerie
21-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh what a lovely idea!

It's my mum's funeral tomorrow so we are racking our brains to think of things to add to the coffin, so far we have-
A lock of each of our hair
A single rose
Rosary beads
A rock from Swaledale (her favourite place)
We sprayed her perfume
My sister added something she made her when younger
A letter that her best friend wrote her
A job list that she wrote for my dad, all ticked off!
(I found our baby teeth in her draw, but I thought that was going too far!)

Have you got any special photos, letters, birthday cards?
Have you seen those gift things that oxfam do? Where you buy somebody a goat, or you could sponsor an animal.
A postcard of her favourite place.

:)

Oh Louise, you've made me cry. Hope today goes ok for you xxx

beadsbydesign
21-11-2008, 09:38 AM
it's such a lovely idea.

beadsbydesign
21-11-2008, 09:39 AM
CD's with a special piece of music on.

Fluffy Squirrel
26-11-2008, 07:58 PM
What a great idea this is... I'm sure your mum will really appreciate this and love the thought that has gone into this.

With regards to suggestions to fill the envelopes, all I can come up with is pretty much what everyone has already said...

Bookmark
Recipes
Poems
Quotations - mum and daughter, love, family, etc
Photographs significant to the day? (babies birth, wedding, etc)
Invitation (like a special mum & daughter day out perhaps?)
Postcards or photos of special places
CD with significant music
Pressed flowers - maybe her favourite flowers?
Flower seeds - seasonal faves?
Perfume samples (if you know an perfume/Avon rep they may be able to help)
'On this day' cards - lots of facts here...http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday
A letter sharing special memories

With regards to the date of the anniversary when your mum lost her child, then all I would suggest perhaps a day out for you and your mum, a nice poem of remembrance, or something similar. Having suffered (3) miscarriages myself then I can understand how difficult these times are. If you decide to go along the poem route for this then feel free to pm me, I have been sent a few beautiful poems around the anniversary of losing my little ones.

Hope this helps.

Laura xx

xrheax
26-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am going to use each and every one of them!

I really hope she will love it and these ideas are going to make a good idea absolutely brilliant :D

xrheax
17-12-2008, 12:17 AM
I have been very busy tonight!

I have just cut a CD for her, with all the songs we both love or have special meaning for us. I have also copied out all of the lyrics to each of the songs, so that's another 18 envelopes done.
I have also filled some with bigger presents - a gift set, the bookmark Beadsbydesign sent and the earrings and chakra stone Auntynet sent. I also picked up one of thos little cards with a mum verse on, and a little book about mums too. I have bought her two pairs of hand knitted socks, a notebook from by nicki, and a packet of snowman soup from snow angel.
I bought a pack of magic stars and have about 15 little packets of them too. I have these all dated for the first three months as they expire in April!
I did some vouchers. I have pronised to clean her cat litter (shje hates that job) and make her lots of coffee. I also aded ones saying I promise to give you a hug, or a cuddle, that kind of thing. I promised to clean her windows and clean her bath.
I found some more quotes and jokes online, and interesting facts too. Things that will make her giggle.
I am going to do special ones tomorrow. For her birthday and other holidays. If I have any days left after this I shall just write I love you on them and give her that!

Thank you soooo much for all your help. I cannot wait to see her face and I shall let you all know if she likes it

:mf::mf::mf:

Sparklez
17-12-2008, 10:28 AM
This is such a great idea, I can't believe I never saw this thread before!

I'm sure your mum will love it, as she'll know how much thought you put into it.

Carol

janetdc
17-12-2008, 11:56 AM
That's so wonderful, I can't imagine my son ever doing anything like that for me bless him. If only I'd had some daughters..."wistful sigh"...;)

xrheax
22-12-2008, 10:42 AM
PHEW!!!!!!

It is finished!!!!! :mf::mf::mf:

Thank you to all those that gave such great ideas, and those that sent me some gifts for it. I really did appreciate it.
I bought snowman drinks and added one of them, and another member sent poems, which I have used for the birthdays of her dad and son, who have both passed away. Two members also sent jewellery items, and again these are beautiful and are sure to be cherished by her as well.
I have included quotes, recipes, a CD (and have the lyrics for each song too). I have included puzzles, memories from when I was younger and some bigger gifts, like a gift set and a photo frame.

I think it may be quite a few years before I do this again, but I have really enjoyed it, and I hope she does too!

Louise88
22-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Well done!

I would bet big money on the fact that she will love it!
She'll also be able to look forward to each day knowing there is something special waiting for her :)