PDA

View Full Version : feeling very deflated!

buttonaddict
16-11-2008, 11:46 PM
So I finally plucked up the courage and did my first fair today and it was a disaster, noone came and I only sold 2 cheap pieces. It made me feel better because some other people there didn't sell anything at all but its really put me off doing another one. I wasn't expecting to sell loads of money today but didn't think I'd make a loss! I feel really down because with last minute making etc. yesterday the fair has basically taken up my whole weekend and I'm not sure I can put myself through it again!

Has anyone got any tips for figuring out which fairs are going to be popular and which aren't... thanks!

Louise88
16-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Hello and (welcome)

I don't know if there is a way to figure out craft fairs, I think it's hit and miss, unless it is really well advertised, even then you can't judge how much people will spend.
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure the next one will be better :)

autumn rose
16-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Im sorry to hear that, there is nothing worse, especially when you have really built your hopes up to a great day, where was the fair? :)

Caroleecrafts
17-11-2008, 07:16 AM
sorry to hear you fair did not do well, it is hard to say what works and what doesn't especially at the moment. I have attended fairs and done really well, gone the next year and hardly covered my rent. I think the best thing is to set a rent budget for the fairs and stick with it this way if you pay less, you have less to lose while you are finding your feet. Not too sure what the rent was on this one but in general the public are being very cautious.

biscuitlid
17-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Try not to feel too deflated. I do wedding fayres and some of them, well I've come home thinking I should pack it all in whereas others are fab. And give yourself a pat on the back for selling two pieces, if some didn't sell anything that's an achievement in itself.

It's hard to know what to do, what not to do until you try. I wish 'trying' didn't cost so much and take up so much time though!

Why not enjoy doing some research and visit some craft fairs yourself to see which ones seem to be best organised and well attended etc? I know it doesn't help for the here and now but it may help plan for the future and you can enjoy yourself 'shopping' around too and seeing how stands are set up, what offers are on etc.

At the wedding fayres, I speak to the other exhibitors to ask them their opinions on which fayres they think are good to do and which not so. I do this at fayres I visit as well as attend and find if I'm honest and up front about what I do, they're usually very helpful.

Victoria
x

AnnieAnna
23-11-2008, 12:12 PM
When I first started doing fairs I was a Fair Tart. I did anything I was offered/could find. Some were great and some were a dead loss.
Hopefully I've refined things now and have stuck to the far away ones that suit me and I'll give new local ones a go.
I have found different fairs are good for different people - sort of depends on what you are selling and what kind of people each fair attracts.

To put a positive spin on things - give out lots of cards and look on it as advertising........

Hope you bounce back.
Cheery uppy vibes,
AnnieAnna

ms_mandy
23-11-2008, 12:36 PM
When I first started doing fairs I was a Fair Tart. I did anything I was offered/could find. Some were great and some were a dead loss.
Hopefully I've refined things now and have stuck to the far away ones that suit me and I'll give new local ones a go.
I have found different fairs are good for different people - sort of depends on what you are selling and what kind of people each fair attracts.

To put a positive spin on things - give out lots of cards and look on it as advertising........

Hope you bounce back.
Cheery uppy vibes,
AnnieAnna

I totally agree, different fairs suit different people depending on what you are selling. I attend a monthly fayre and some months I do fantastic and others I don't sell a thing, it's just how it goes and depends on who attends. But the most important things to check when booking a fayre is how it is being advertised and if there are any other stall holders selling similar items to yourself.

Don't let this one stop you doing others!