PDA

View Full Version : Glue gun

Seahorse
13-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I bought a glue gun at te weekend.

I just wondered if anybody else had one and how well does it work.
What kind of strength does it hold(if you get what I mean).
I want to use it to stick on flatback stones as I used normal pva glue last week ad the stones are chipping off.

the felt fairy
13-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I used to use a Bostik glue gun at work. Never thought much of it as the glue only sticks certain things and didnt do that really well.

For sticking on sequins etc I tend to use good old Bostik no 1. The stuff that smells bad/nice if you see what I mean.

Peter
13-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I use glue guns all the time, and although they stick almost anything, they will not stick to glass or ceramic. To get my designs to stick to the vases I've had to use floral adhesive, I don't know about stones, but I would think you'd have the same problem. Incidentally - if you get an old glass vase, lightly oil the outside, and cover it with streamers of glue from a gun, when it dries take it off, and you've a plastic basket! :lol:

Seahorse
13-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Cool idea.

I just tried to use it to add a paper picture onto wood, the glue semi dried in globdules so the picture isnt flat.

I knew it would be useless!!!Glad I didnt spend a fortune on it.

Peter
13-02-2006, 12:58 PM
That's another thing - use it a bit at a time, the glue doesn't stay hot for long once it's out! It comes into it's own when you just need spots of adhesive. :wink:

swirlyarts
13-02-2006, 01:00 PM
I've got one and also found it to be a bit rubbish - I use good old superglue to stick flatback stones onto my cards - much easier now that they make it with a brush attatchment - also means that you are less likely to stick your fingers together - but thats another story :(

Lynsey

garters
13-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Seahorse,
What about jewelry glue? I have some called Gem-Tac, which I bought off eBay and it sticks such things as Rhinestones etc, you don't need much so it goes miles, the only setback is that it does take approx 24 hours for the item to be set, but it dries invisible as well.

Good Luck
Garters

ericajones80
13-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I had a glue gun and absolutely hated it. I hope it was just the gun, not all guns in general. It was horrible...couldn't stick two pieces of paper together

Scorch
14-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Well, I can't get a glue gun to stick anything to anything successfully. Completely pointless object, as far as I can see.

I'd use...
- 2-pack epoxy (Araldite) for stones onto findings, or anything else hard that really mustn't come apart. Roughen up the surfaces so it's got something to get into and set round, and it's hard as nails.
- Superglue for just making hard things not wiggle, like woven twigs or beads on thongs, or things that won't get handled. You have to have perfectly-mating surfaces to get it to be strong, but if you do, then it's REALLY strong!
- Leather glue for leather. No, really, not mking fun... nothing else works as well!
- Contact adhesives like Bostik or UHU for fabric or cardboard. Not the useless waterbased ones - the stinky ones.
- PVA for wood -it won't work on anything shiny or flexible, but it's perfect for wood. Clamp the thing together, and when it's dry, you'll break the wood before the glue!
- Sticky-dots or double-sided tape for paper and things on cards

In every case, make sure the surfaces are clean and grease-free...

shiner
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
if you are glueing something flat and the glue sets before it is flattened down or in position reheat it with a hot air gun or flat iron. I use hot glue to put wood blanks onto the baseplate for turning, anyone who thinks hot glue has no strength should see the shavings fly off my lathe and I've never had a bowl come off till I reheat the baseplate

linz
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
In my experience, it depends on what glue you're using, rather than what gun. Cheap packs of a million glue sticks are usually rubbish, just like the packs of 12 pritt stick type glue for a pound are a false economy too :(

zerodigit
02-09-2008, 10:44 AM
i just saw the glue gun stick used as rope to tie a board design....and that is strong :)

PaulineR
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I bought a glue gun to keep my wicks in place when making container candles and it works greateven with hot wax poured over it the wick/sustainer stays inplace.

I also used it this w/end to repair a couple of ramps on a garage I got for my grandson at a carboot sale and (fingers crossed) it has held them in place even after 2 days of wild play.