PDA

View Full Version : NEW UK BEADING MAGAZINE

beadsbydesign
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
At long last the UK is to get it's own magazine devoted to beading and jewellery.
This is the email I received this week:
Hope it's more bead than celebrity!
I am writing to you as the deputy editor of an exciting new magazine called 'Creative Beading & Jewellery Design', the U.K's first creative beadwork and jewellery magazine to be launched in May 2006.

The magazine will be packed with projects, techniques, reviews, tips, features on top designers as well as celebrity jewellery makers and wearer's. Importantly, the magazine will feature a section that showcases all the latest equipment, gadgets, tools and instructional materials, such as books and DVD's.

We invite you to send us any items or products you think we could feature. With a launch print order of more than 25,000 copies, the magazine will be promoted in store, on TV and through complementary magazines and exhibitions. In addition, if you are involved in any trade fairs, shows or courses which you would like us to list in our 'Forthcoming Events', please let us know.

Please send us a company catalogue as we are now looking for potential suppliers for our featured projects and don't forget to add us to your mailing list. If you are interested in advertising your business through the magazine, please contact our publisher, Ben Lane benl@quarto.com. For all other editorial enquiries please contact me.

I look forward to receiving your catalogue and press materials soon,

Seahorse
03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for business!!
lets hope its succesful.

raspberrybloom
03-02-2006, 04:42 PM
wooahh :D

At last. It will be great to have a UK based magazine. Hopefully it will worm out a few more suppliers for us!

Good luck.

Seahorse
03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Especially of swarovski, collage sheets and transparencies please!!
Oh and silvered copper foil which I cant find anywhere!

beadsbydesign
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
The submission address for articles etc is:
RosieS@quarto.com

lab
04-02-2006, 02:58 PM
ooh will keep my eye out for that
Lois

Bea
13-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Launch date is 12th May (June issue)! And it will be monthly.

Quite a few bead shops (including online) will stock it, and also WH Smith. So hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of! It's just the content which is a mystery!

Bea
22-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Excited! I'm placing a little ad and I will stock a few copies - some of them I will bring to the Bead Fair on 21st May in Nantwich (where I am having a stall).

Bea

beadsbydesign
29-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm advertising in there as well, Is anyone else?

Fran
14-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Sounds very interesting, I shall be looking out for this new mag. Perhaps finally we will have somewhere for all/most UK suppliers to be listed in one place.

beadsbydesign
14-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi Fran, Yes it sounded really good.
Unfortunatly, we are all still smarting from the bad news that the magazine has been ditched by the publishers. The future is uncertain. I think there is a thread relating to it in the general thread.

Fran
18-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Ohh! that's a real shame.

0103media
16-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Your be happy to know that i've found one for u

http://www.beadmagazine.co.uk/

Its quite good mag.. Read a bit of it yesterday :D

raspberrybloom
16-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I have just subscribed!

carolinemhannon
16-11-2006, 02:59 PM
it came out on friday, it's quite good, most of the porojests are quite basic but it's an inthersesting read, there's been a discusion on UK beaders forum about it for a while, you can get it from WH Smiths

Craft Chick
17-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I saw this about and did think about getting it but I'm not sure- does it have a lot of projects etc to make?

ejralph
17-11-2006, 11:26 AM
It has a good few projects to make and seems to be a nice mix too. But also some features on artists and their businesses, product reviews and so on.

For the premier issue, I think they did really well to get the content they did. I am sure though as the mag develops the content can only get better as more writers / designers consider making submissions.

Peter
21-11-2006, 11:13 AM
I have to disagree. I've just spent 3.95 on a mag with the most hideous projects I've ever seen!:o It's a lot of money to get UK adverts. :rolleyes:

carolinemhannon
21-11-2006, 11:44 AM
i don't think all the projects are hidious, a bit basic but some are all right

hopefully when they've got a few more people working on the mag the projects will get more complicated and fancier looking

Peter
21-11-2006, 12:37 PM
OK, admittedly it's only my opinion, but at the price - which is 1 more than the usual suspects - I really expected something a bit special. Chain maille, home made jump rings, very badly made wire coils, it hasn't got anything special to make it worth more than it's contemporaries. I don't think it's been a rush launch, so they should have got all the designers and contributors they needed to make it work across a broad spectrum of readers. If it is aimed at beginners, that should have been emphasised in the blurb. I'm no super beader, but there really isn't anything in it to tax an average beader looking for inspiration. In my opinion. :D

carolinemhannon
21-11-2006, 02:03 PM
i totally agree, and i did contact them about submitting projects as did several other beaders but with no reply, which is a shame cause they could have made a much better splash on the uk market if they'd had contact with british beaders

Cats Cards
03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Well at least you lot have managed to find this mag! I have been in several WH Smiths and other stores and can't find it anywhere:confused:

carolinemhannon
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
cat

you can get it from

http://www.justbeads.co.uk/
http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk/
http://www.julesgems.com/items.php?Cat=Magazines&Type=Bead%20Magazine%20(UK)

Artyz
27-07-2007, 10:23 AM
wow great! i know i am a bit late! but this sounds really great. will check it out!

thanks a million
Artyz

rowanb
26-09-2007, 04:20 PM
We've got a new magazine launching also, which has a specific beading section. Instead of being hard copy it is emailed direct to your inbox- and you can even send it on to your customers with you logo on every page and click throughs of products back to you. There's also a reader's project page where you can enter your own work and help others in the community.

The best bit is it is FREE! You just need to sign up. The first issue lanuches next week.

Any questions please let me know
bx