PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax

Seahorse
24-01-2006, 10:23 AM
I was just looking at artezine, and somebody used beeswax over pictures to give them an old/layered quality.

Has anybody else used wax?

Where could I get it from?

craftdancer
24-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Funnily enough I am just researching supplies of beeswax for myself at the moment.

Depending on how much you want, can I suggest you contact local beekeepers directly? Most of them will sell the wax (as well as honey) and one I have been in contact with sells by the ounce (28g), so you can buy small or larger quantities.

An alternative is to order from suppliers of ingredients for cosmetic/soap making or aroamtherapy suppliers (watch out for minimum order levels though).

If you only want minute amounts, your local haberdashery shop may well have some, as it is used for strengthening thread for attaching buttons to garments.

Seahorse
24-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Okey doke, thanks, Il have a look.

I thought I may experiment with normal candle wax (im so impatient)as im at work and cant go out shopping.
Probably got candles here somewhere.

Should I varnish it over the top to help make it more solid/longer lasting?

the felt fairy
24-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I dont know anything about your original question but be aware that ordinary candle wax is much more brittle than beeswax. When it cools candle wax will crack real beeswax wont.

Seahorse
24-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Ahhh, I did wonder about the difference.
Luckily Im stupid enough to have forgotten to have looked for candles.

Would somewhere like Robert Dyas sell the wax?

SteveS
24-01-2006, 04:10 PM
You may need to be careful about the purity of the wax, as some is very cloudy. You can get clear beeswax blocks from http://www.waxes.co.uk but you may need several for a large picture :) Barry, who owns the business, supplies lots of different waxes for encaustic art, and I know for a fact that he's completely reliable, sends goods out very quickly, and can give very good advice on using wax for all sorts of things. His P&P is just 1 for orders under 15, too :)

Steve :)

Seahorse
24-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Cool ,il have a look thanks.
I like there stamps which I saw a while back.

Seahorse
25-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Just found www.thorne.co.uk

Seahorse
31-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Anybody tried beeswax yet?