PDA

View Full Version : melt and pour questions

autumn rose
21-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Hello
when using my clear and opaque melt and pour soap bases, im adding my fragrance and colour, how long after making them can i actually use them, i have read you have to wait 4-6 weeks to allow them to cure??

and...also...( sorry... )

is it dangerous stuff? after reading the possible effects of lye recently, It frightened the life out of me, is there lye in melt and pour?

I read that you need a certificate to soap make also, does this mean a qualification?

thankyou so much.

Bath-Bomb.Com
21-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi Sarah,

The answers to your questions are No, No and Yes....

You don't have to leave Melt & Pour to 'cure' - it's mass produced in a particular way (don't know the particulars) but isn't the same as the soap you've read about that needs to cure. That's CP (Cold Processed) Soap which is made using a mixture of oils and butters which are then mixed with Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) which causes the oils/butters to saponify. If making CP soap it takes a while for the saponification process to complete so it is left to 'cure' for a while - it gets harder and more lathery. Hot Processed soap is made in a similar way but, to speed up the soponification process it is heated up and is usually ready to use almost immediately. There is no active Lye left in any of the soaps so it isn't in the least bit dangerous.

Yes, you need to have soaps (and any cosmetic products you are going to sell) safety assessed by a 'qualified' person. This usually means a qualified chemist or cosmetologist. It can be expensive and time consuming but if you find a good one who will certify a basic soap with a vairety of ingredients; colours and fragrances you can pay a one time fee and (so long as you stick to your list) the certificate is 'for life' and can be included as a business asset.

Hope this helps

Jude :)

It's worth Googling "EU Cosmetic Directive" or contacting your local Trading Standards to find out exactly what is required.

autumn rose
21-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Thankyou so much Jude, thats really helpful.

( I actually feel like a weight has been lifted, the more I read about Lye the more scarier it got!)

Thanks again

Lomond Soap
22-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Don't be scared of the lye Autumn, it helps you make very nice soap :D
When you're ready to try CP soap, sent me a PM and I'll give you a tried and tested recipe ;)

autumn rose
22-10-2008, 12:18 AM
will do, thanks again

BeanyCraft
06-12-2008, 03:26 PM
When I make my melt and pur soaps they only take 40 minutes to set is this different to what you are using i.e cold process?

Never tried doing cold process soaps before but I have been making melt and pour soaps for about 8 months now.